Garden State

rushgoober

I know this movie came out a couple of years ago or so, but this is one amazing movie.

I saw it when it came out, but have seen it a few times since. We own the DVD and it's been showing a lot lately on the Independent Film Channel.

This is one of those movies that actually seems to get BETTER every time I watch it. It stars Zach Braff (J.D. from scrubs), who also wrote and directed it, and Natalie Portman.

The story is pretty simple, or I should say, is very far away from big budget action Hollywood thriller, it taking place in a New Jersey suburb, but it's a great story that is amazingly well written with clever and believable dialogue. The acting is incredible, and the scenes between Braff and Portman are really something to watch. Their scenes are intimate and real to the point that if the acting was just the tiniest bit off, the whole thing would have fallen apart, but they hit just the right note of comic realism to make it a mesmerizing and almost voyeuristic experience to watch.

Anyway, hopefully I managed to give very little away, which is as it should be. It's not a knock you over the head kind of movie. It's subtle and it builds, but it's also never boring, and it has enough comedic aspects to make some of the heavier dramatic aspects not quite so heavy. It seems to say a lot about being young, breaking away from your parents and trying to find your way on your own. This really is a somewhat of a classic in my book and is a must-see.

Oh yeah, great soundtrack, and one of the best movie kisses ever. You'll know it when you see it. smile.gif

I'd like to see it. I know I can borrow it for free from my library.

I was thinking it might be like the more mature Kevin Smith stuff; another Jersey comedy. Is it?

Wow... suprised you like this movie so much, goob. I always saw it as one of those "high school/college age must see films"... but hey, this must mean it really IS awesome.

I still haven't seen it... V_V

You should really check out the movie Pi though, goob. It's one of my favourite films ever.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 21 2007, 11:56 AM)

I was thinking it might be like the more mature Kevin Smith stuff; another Jersey comedy. Is it?

I'll put it this way. I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan, so I don't think it's ANYTHING like his movies. It's pretty unique. Ok, Jersey Girl was decent, and the lesbian one was pretty good, but most of his other stuff that I've seen I don't dig.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 21 2007, 02:45 PM)
Wow... suprised you like this movie so much, goob. I always saw it as one of those "high school/college age must see films"... but hey, this must mean it really IS awesome.

I still haven't seen it... V_V

You should really check out the movie Pi though, goob. It's one of my favourite films ever.

Check it out MD (and bekloppt.gif btw smile.gif ), it's a great movie.

I actually did see PI - pretty intense. Not one of my all time faves, but I really liked it...

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 21 2007, 02:56 PM)

GR - its different. More like a mix (feeling wise) of The Graduate. The humor is dark and subtle. I dont think its the greatest film in the world, but worth a borrow.