Microphones

Ru5h F@n

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Dec 14 2006, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 15 2006, 12:58 AM)
There are so many brands and so many types of microphones. What kind do you use? unsure.gif

Why do you want too know? unsure.gif

Just curious. It's shop talk. Everyone talks about other items, why not this? It is in the right section. unsure.gif

That is a very broad question.

What are you using the mic for?

Are you recording or performing live?

There are several different types of mics and different brands, and there are also differing opinions on each mic/manufacturer and how to place each mic, tricks, techniques, etc...

Hope I'm not ruining your fun!

wacko.gif

This is a great resource I've used for recording at home:

BBS Home Recording Forum

I have 30 some-odd mics at home. Some good, some crap. Learning about what mics work best for which situation will help answer your question. A really good book is called Modern Recording Techniques by Huber and Runstein.

Yeah I know all about mics and recording. I took an audio engineering course back in 1984. The book they gave us was "Techniques Of The Sound Studio" by Alec Nisbett. I have it somewhere lying around. That book was boring as hell. unsure.gif

May I suggest the Behringer B-2 Pro. It's very affordable and sounds pretty damn good too! I thought it sounded just as good as the Shure KSM32 I used to own, until it got smashed by accident. Man was I pissed about that!

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 15 2006, 01:55 PM)
Check out Studio Projects stuff. I have no personal experience (yet) but a buddy of mine does and he really likes the CE-1.

The Studio Projects stuff is awesome for the price. I would stay away from Behringer and Rode.

Yeah the Studio Projects mics are a great deal and they really sound nice. I own a C1 and C3 and use them all the time. I use the C3 more because it's a multi-pattern/multi-membrane mic that's really great for certain vocal styles.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 15 2006, 02:57 PM)
Would the C1 (I called it a CE-1 above...sorry) be a good room mic to use in conjunction with a pair of 57's on my two amps?

Sure, it would work fine for that. But the C3 would be better because of the multi-pattern function.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 15 2006, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 15 2006, 02:57 PM)
Would the C1 (I called it a CE-1 above...sorry) be a good room mic to use in conjunction with a pair of 57's on my two amps?

Sure, it would work fine for that. But the C3 would be better because of the multi-pattern function.

OK, thanks. Now the expensive question we all should be thinking about. What kind of mic preamps are you guys using these mics with? We all know that a great mic is nothing without the right preamp.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 16 2006, 12:34 PM)
OK, thanks. Now the expensive question we all should be thinking about. What kind of mic preamps are you guys using these mics with? We all know that a great mic is nothing without the right preamp.

Ha, you don't even want to know what I have. You could put a down payment on house with my mic pre's ! rofl3.gif

I own 2 Neve 8078 Channel strips, a UA 2-610 Dual Channel, a UA 6176 Channel Strip and a Focusrite Vintage Green series Dual Channel.

Do some research on those products and tell me you're not crying! laugh.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:25 PM)
Check out Studio Projects stuff.  I have no personal experience (yet) but a buddy of mine does and he really likes the CE-1.

The Studio Projects stuff is awesome for the price. I would stay away from Behringer and Rode.

Please explain why?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 16 2006, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:25 PM)
Check out Studio Projects stuff.  I have no personal experience (yet) but a buddy of mine does and he really likes the CE-1.

Please explain why?

Explain why Studio Projects mics are good? Or why not to buy Behringer stuff?

Don't buy Behringer stuff because it's amateur crap. And none of it sounds good to boot. There's a reason why their products are so cheap...because they are just that, cheap.

I can't remember a lot of the companies except the main ones that are used in the studio. One example was the Sony EKG. That's a nice mic. I remember the directions like Hyper-cardioid, Uni-directional, Bi-directional, Dynamic. unsure.gif

Don't you mean "AKG" ? That's a brand and a quality one at that.

Sony doesn't make professional microphones that I know of.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 16 2006, 02:09 PM)
Don't you mean "AKG" ? That's a brand and a quality one at that.
Sony doesn't make professional microphones that I know of.

Oh right AKG is the company. It's been a while since I was in the studio. But I basically remember my specs. unsure.gif

Edited by -D-RocK-

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 17 2006, 09:38 AM)
Well that's just your opinion. Like I said earlier, I found the Behringer B-2 Pro to sound every bit as good as the Shure KSM32, which cost twice as much and disintegrated on the floor after dropping a mere 5ft. off a mic stand. The Behringers I own are of solid, heavy construction.....there's nothing "cheap" about them at all as far as I'm concerned - except the price. In my opinion they are ideal for someone starting out on their own.
Thank You. No reply is necessary.

It's not my opinion at all. It's what my ears tell me about their products that make the choice easy.

I don't want to argue with anyone here about audio and music gear. You can either take constructive advice from someone who's been in the industry for 25+ years, or not.