Movies Today....

Ru5h F@n

I just find the content of movies do not surpass what we once had before in the old days growing up. The 70's, 80's and 90's I thought were the best decades. They had good acting, storylines and even a message. Now I find movies all to be the same just like the music is now too. Quantity not quality anymore. No uniqueness or originality either. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 9 2006, 10:15 AM)
I just find the content of movies do not surpass what we once had before in the old days growing up. The 70's, 80's and 90's I thought were the best decades. They had good acting, storylines and even a message. Now I find movies all to be the same just like the music is now too. Quantity not quality anymore. No uniqueness or originality either. unsure.gif

I haven't noticed a decline. Please list some of your favorites of the 70's, 80's and 90's to which there has been no equal this decade.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 02:17 PM)

I haven't noticed a decline. Please list some of your favorites of the 70's, 80's and 90's to which there has been no equal this decade.

I would have to agree with RF here. There have been some great movies made in the last few years but they are few and far between. Most new stuff is pure tripe filled with poor acting and even worse story lines masked in a ton of special effects.

I would also like to mention that I think you are missing out on some real classics if you leave out the decades before the 60s, ie 30s, 40s, and 50s. The movies made in these time periods didn't have the benefit of the technology that creates the effects and cinematography you see today so they made up for it with great acting and wonderful stories.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Dec 9 2006, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 02:17 PM)

I would have to agree with RF here. There have been some great movies made in the last few years but they are few and far between. Most new stuff is pure tripe filled with poor acting and even worse story lines masked in a ton of special effects.

I would also like to mention that I think you are missing out on some real classics if you leave out the decades before the 60s, ie 30s, 40s, and 50s. The movies made in these time periods didn't have the benefit of the technology that creates the effects and cinematography you see today so they made up for it with great acting and wonderful stories.

Wow. I was hoping someone would agree with me but I never thought anyone would. unsure.gif

I agree with RF. ohmy.gif

Most movies today suck. But the sad thing is, they are still wildly popular. Look at the ridiculous popularity of Lord of the Rings or the Star Wars Prequel. Lots of fluff and special effects and NO storyline. Well... not much of a good one anyway.

tongue.gif

I honestly don't know where my opinion lies on this. I like some old movies and I like some modern movies. I thought Troy was amazing. It had a great story to it and reminded me of an older pic. Just recently I saw Domino, and that was a great story as well. Especially for an action flick.

There's still good stuff out there RF. You just have to get past the smoke and mirrors of the big budget movies for the masses like LOTR and Star Wars. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 9 2006, 10:57 AM)
I agree with RF. ohmy.gif

Most movies today suck. But the sad thing is, they are still wildly popular. Look at the ridiculous popularity of Lord of the Rings or the Star Wars Prequel. Lots of fluff and special effects and NO storyline. Well... not much of a good one anyway.

tongue.gif

I honestly don't know where my opinion lies on this. I like some old movies and I like some modern movies. I thought Troy was amazing. It had a great story to it and reminded me of an older pic. Just recently I saw Domino, and that was a great story as well. Especially for an action flick.

There's still good stuff out there RF. You just have to get past the smoke and mirrors of the big budget movies for the masses like LOTR and Star Wars. yes.gif

I didn't like Lord Of The Rings. I fell asleep in that one. As for Star Wars, it was decent but not high on my list. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 9 2006, 11:08 AM)
I rarely go to the movies so I can't really judge if modern movies are good or not.

Well you're not missing out on much then. unsure.gif

The Godfather, the original Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, to name a few. there are tons of classics that i haven't even seen so my list isn't very inclusive but those are some of probably the greatest movies of all time, in my opinion anyway. few movies these days match those classics.

heh i know that wasn't directed at me but i felt like putting in my two cents on the classics that are rarely matched.

anyway, i don't necesarilly think the entire movie industry sucks today. i do agree that probably the majority of movies that come out these days are nothing special, but there are still several great ones that came out of the last nineties and 2000's. for instance as already meantioned Domino, and Man on Fire which was made by the same director. there's also Fight Club and Donnie Darko, and don't forget the two Kill Bills by quentin tarantino.

now it seems like the general consensus on Lord of the Rings in this topic is that it's overrated, but i personally loved all three of those movies, as well as King Kong by the same director. I also personally love the Star Wars Prequels, even though i do agree that they sure aren't quite as good as the originals.

the horror/thriller Saw has also become one of my all time favorite films. great story, good acting, most of the way through anyway, and an amazing ending.

Then there's the Guy Ritchie films Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, both of which in my opinion are excellent.

i think even though there aren't AS MANY great movies coming out these days, the greatness of those select movies that ARE great is probably still just about equal to the classics, or close anyway.

Edited by Freedom_Fighter

If you don't have an independent theatre near you, than I can see where you're coming from. I mean currently playing at my indie theatre-

Bobby

The Blood Diamond

The Fountain

Babel

Apocalypto

The Departed

The Queen

All of those are amazing movies.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Dec 9 2006, 02:26 PM)
The Godfather, the original Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, to name a few. there are tons of classics that i haven't even seen so my list isn't very inclusive but those are some of probably the greatest movies of all time, in my opinion anyway. few movies these days match those classics.

heh i know that wasn't directed at me but i felt like putting in my two cents on the classics that are rarely matched.

anyway, i don't necesarilly think the entire movie industry sucks today. i do agree that probably the majority of movies that come out these days are nothing special, but there are still several great ones that came out of the last nineties and 2000's. for instance as already meantioned Domino, and Man on Fire which was made by the same director. there's also Fight Club and Donnie Darko, and don't forget the two Kill Bills by quentin tarantino.

now it seems like the general consensus on Lord of the Rings in this topic is that it's overrated, but i personally loved all three of those movies, as well as King Kong by the same director. I also personally love the Star Wars Prequels, even though i do agree that they sure aren't quite as good as the originals.

the horror/thriller Saw has also become one of my all time favorite films. great story, good acting, most of the way through anyway, and an amazing ending.

Then there's the Guy Ritchie films Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, both of which in my opinion are excellent.

i think even though there aren't AS MANY great movies coming out these days, the greatness of those select movies that ARE great is probably still just about equal to the classics, or close anyway.

Yeah! Breakfast Club and Die Hard. I have Die Hard (The Whole Collection) on Dvd but #3 sucks. I like only 1 and 2. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Dec 9 2006, 09:26 PM)
i like #3 just not as much as the first two. i love all three of the movies though.

man i wish i lived where you live thestand!!!! i wanted to see The Departed in the theater so bad. supposedly that's another modern movie that lives up to the classics, i've heard that it's excellent.

I just think Jeremy Irons is a horrible actor and that's why I didn't like it. unsure.gif

As a point of interest, I looked at my list of top 50 movies that I did in another thread and decided to count how many came from which decade.

I tend not to wach many movies prior to the 1970s, so my entire list is skewed from the 70's onwards.

Anyway, here's what I came up with:

1970's - 14

1980's - 19

1990's - 10

2000's - 6

Now, of course this decade is only 3/5ths done or so, so firgure the 2000's will have about 10 as well.

My list definitely skews much more to the 70's, and especially the 80's, so maybe there aren't (in my opinoin) as many stone cold classics coming out as there once were. I still think there are a lot of great movies being made. I have found it rare in more recent years to find a movie that I not only think is a great movie, but an all-time classic. It seems like in the past decade and a half, I only manage to find an average of 1 of those a year...

You need Indie movies, way better than box office stuff. I agree with thestand completely. If you dont have an Indie theater then just rent the movies.