Earthshine - ooooooowhoooooo section

treeduck

I'm just listening to VT and I was oooooooowhooooooing to myself during Earthshine and I thought crap if i can to a half-arsed version of it then I'm sure Geddy can do a non-multi voice harmony version of it live, instead of just mouthing over the track...

What about this?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 5 2006, 08:42 PM)
Oh yeah, why isn't this a poll?

I didn't see this one as a poll question, plus I don't want a poll flood...

wink.gif

I really like that oooooooowhooooo section though it's cool. I don't think it has to be a harmony either, one single vocal line would be enough and we know he can sing it, so I don't get it...

They might not do the song next time though so it might be moot (for now...)

I don't mind that it's recorded, as Rush has used recorded "backup singers and choirs" before. And I don't mind him not singing it. However, I do mind him lip syncing it. If you're going to act like you're singing it -- SING IT! Or back away from the mic stand and don't fake it. Don't "Ashley Simpson" it or "Milli Vanilli" it! dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ Dec 5 2006, 09:19 PM)
I don't mind that it's recorded, as Rush has used recorded "backup singers and choirs" before.  And I don't mind him not singing it.  However, I do mind him lip syncing it.  If you're going to act like you're singing it -- SING IT!  Or back away from the mic stand and don't fake it.  Don't "Ashley Simpson" it or "Milli Vanilli" it!  dazed025.gif

I am soooo glad someone else has the balls to say this. yes.gif I said it a couple months ago and got jumped for it. angry.gif

This was covered in another thread. Many of us are sure Geddy is singing, off mike, to that harmonization. Of course there was that "fake-a-roo" body shake during the keyboard sequence on Turn The Page on A Show of Hands. Those of you you watched it a lot know exactly what Im talking about.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:06 AM)
This was covered in another thread. Many of us are sure Geddy is singing, off mike, to that harmonization. Of course there was that "fake-a-roo" body shake during the keyboard sequence on Turn The Page on A Show of Hands. Those of you you watched it a lot know exactly what Im talking about.

By "This was covered in another thread" what I mean is I cant find it. I remember Melodic777 was in on this thread and it got interesting....

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 6 2006, 01:42 AM)
Great question.  I have assumed it is because he can't pull it off.  It's a little embarassing to hear that part.  I would rather not hear it if he can't/won't sing it.

However, I do mind him lip syncing it. If you're going to act like you're singing it -- SING IT! Or back away from the mic stand and don't fake it. Don't "Ashley Simpson" it or "Milli Vanilli" it!

Both views I totally agree on. The Pre-chorus is my favorite part of the song and I would rather Geddy take a step back from the mic than lip sync it. I've always assumed it's because he cant do it very well live, and if that is the case, stepping back would be a wise move on his behalf IMO unsure.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:06 AM)
This was covered in another thread.  Many of us are sure Geddy is singing, off mike, to that harmonization.  Of course there was that "fake-a-roo" body shake during the keyboard sequence on Turn The Page on A Show of Hands.  Those of you you watched it a lot know exactly what Im talking about.

By "This was covered in another thread" what I mean is I cant find it. I remember Melodic777 was in on this thread and it got interesting....

We might need to bring him back then for the full deja vu experience...

unsure.gif

We had this discussion once and that Melodic777 guy disagreed with me. He thought that Ged was singing the part while I maintained that he was just lip syncing the part. I think it's lame that he does that. I have absolutely no problem with them using a sample instead of actually singing the part but I DO have a problem with him pretending to sing.

Rant over.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Dec 6 2006, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ Dec 5 2006, 09:19 PM)
I don't mind that it's recorded, as Rush has used recorded "backup singers and choirs" before.  And I don't mind him not singing it.  However, I do mind him lip syncing it.  If you're going to act like you're singing it -- SING IT!  Or back away from the mic stand and don't fake it.  Don't "Ashley Simpson" it or "Milli Vanilli" it!  dazed025.gif

I am soooo glad someone else has the balls to say this. yes.gif I said it a couple months ago and got jumped for it. angry.gif

I don't think Geddy was lip synching it. Do you? I mean - I've seen him kind of ooh oohing along a bit, but certainly not up to the microphone and trying to fool the crowd or anything. Did you see him do that?

ps - not jumping you

I didn't finish reading all of the thread before quoting above. It seems others have spoken a bit on this as well - and I agree with the opinion that Geddy wasn't trying to lip synch. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 7 2006, 05:00 PM)
I dont share you view. I dont think hes standing there moving his lips not doing anything, I believe hes singing along just away form the mic. The fact that "Johnny Holmes" 777 disagreed with you puts you in good company. smile.gif

Yeah he's singing along like Alex does just for the fun of it, off-mike, but I just wonder why he just doesn't sing it and forget about the multi voice tracking. Why record something in a way that means you can't play it live? Tiggered sequences are one thing but why play the song at all if you think can't reproduce the vocals normally?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 7 2006, 05:50 PM)
I dont share you view.  I dont think hes standing there moving his lips not doing anything, I believe hes singing along just away form the mic.  The fact that "Johnny Holmes" 777 disagreed with you puts you in good company. smile.gif

Yeah he's singing along like Alex does just for the fun of it, off-mike, but I just wonder why he just doesn't sing it and forget about the multi voice tracking. Why record something in a way that means you can't play it live? Tiggered sequences are one thing but why play the song at all if you think can't reproduce the vocals normally?

Aw that's not being too fair. You're saying scrap the song if he won't sing that one part? I think it sounds fine that way - no harm done. And besides, even though Rush uses recorded material sampled on stage it can't ever be compared with the Pop acts who use sampling and lip synching IN PLACE OF their performance - instead of to ENHANCE their performance as Rush does. I rather enjoyed hearing that vocal part live. It was cool.

I don't think it's a common thing at all for this band to record something in a way that can't be sung or played live. Why not flex it out a bit in the studio every once in a while? They don't really make a habit of it. It's all good. trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 7 2006, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 7 2006, 05:50 PM)
I dont share you view.  I dont think hes standing there moving his lips not doing anything, I believe hes singing along just away form the mic.  The fact that "Johnny Holmes" 777 disagreed with you puts you in good company. smile.gif

Aw that's not being too fair. You're saying scrap the song if he won't sing that one part? I think it sounds fine that way - no harm done. And besides, even though Rush uses recorded material sampled on stage it can't ever be compared with the Pop acts who use sampling and lip synching IN PLACE OF their performance - instead of to ENHANCE their performance as Rush does. I rather enjoyed hearing that vocal part live. It was cool.

I don't think it's a common thing at all for this band to record something in a way that can't be sung or played live. Why not flex it out a bit in the studio every once in a while? They don't really make a habit of it. It's all good. trink39.gif

No I'm not actually saying scrap it, I'm just asking those questions, they're just crying out to be asked. Like this one. Did geddy listen to the album for the first time with Alex and go,

Geddy: "you know...there's no way I can sing that ooooooohhwhooooo bit live Lerxt..."

Alex: "Well we're doing it G man cos that's my best riff in ages!!"

Geddy: "It's just based around one chord-"

Alex: "You promised we wouldn't talk about the one chord thing man!!"

Geddy: "I won't, if you don't mention the fact that I'm gonna use a vocal backing track for this one..."

Alex: "Again??? You're always doing that shit now, what happened to the siren song vocal range-"

Geddy: "ONE CHORD ONE CHORD ONE CHORD ONE CHORD!!"

??

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 7 2006, 06:08 PM)
You know why Ged had to do that, cause Lerxst banned him from using synths!!!! smile.gif

So you think, that the ooooooooohhwhooooooo bit would have been played on keyboards from the very conception if it wasn't for the whole lerxt keyboard backlash factor?

wacko.gif

I don't think it'd have the same effect, unless they used a vocal sample synth patch. maybe that's the answer, play it on keyboards?

I think treeduck's next topic will be

"That silly skeleton. Why doesn't Geddy do the rap?"

laugh.gif

Archived