New Guitar for Rushfan!!

rushfanNlv

Yamaha SE700E for me!!!

I love these older Japan made Yamaha guitars. I've owned an SE150 model for 17 years now and after owning a Fender Strat, Epi Dot and LP, I have finally figured out that these Yamaha necks are the ones for me.

Bill Lawrence L500R in the bridge (that's a vinyl sticker over the black pickup) and L280s single coils in the middle and neck!

Can't wait!!!!!

http://foolstown.com/sm/git.gif Shaaaweeeet!!!! Doncha' just love eBay?

I just stole a DW5000 single pedal for next to nothing, and my Ludwig Ghost showed up on Friday!!!

I sold my cheesy Pulse double pedal to pay for it, that thing was like stepping on two wet sponges. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 19 2006, 03:43 PM)
Yamaha SE700E for me!!!

I love these older Japan made Yamaha guitars. I've owned an SE150 model for 17 years now and after owning a Fender Strat, Epi Dot and LP, I have finally figured out that these Yamaha necks are the ones for me.

Bill Lawrence L500R in the bridge (that's a vinyl sticker over the black pickup) and L280s single coils in the middle and neck!

Can't wait!!!!!

Sweet smile.gif You can NEVER have too many guitars smile.gif

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Nov 19 2006, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 19 2006, 03:43 PM)
Yamaha SE700E for me!!!

I love these older Japan made Yamaha guitars.  I've owned an SE150 model for 17 years now and after owning a Fender Strat, Epi Dot and LP, I have finally figured out that these Yamaha necks are the ones for me.

Can't wait!!!!!

Sweet smile.gif You can NEVER have too many guitars smile.gif

Tell that to her. eh.gif

Heh. It's easy to justify: you need every model guitar, and one of each model for every tuning because an instrument is a conduit to God. It's necessary to tap the spontaneous God-channel that inspires the creativity that leads to music that stirs the soul and brings us closer to each other, hence to God.

Hah. Sorry... I'm drunk.

Edited by Xabiche

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Nov 20 2006, 12:17 AM)
Heh.  It's easy to justify:  you need every model guitar, and one of each model for every tuning because an instrument is a conduit to God.  It's necessary to tap the spontaneous God-channel that inspires the creativity that leads to music that stirs the soul and brings us closer to each other, hence to God.

Hah.  Sorry... I'm drunk.

Wont work. We both don't have the luxury of faith. Unless I tell her it's the guitar god! I think I'm on to something here.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Nov 21 2006, 12:46 PM)
Congrats! I love getting new guitars. I think I enjoy the hunt as much as anything else.

Are you sure those are Lawrence pickups? All the ones I've seen (including mine) have a blade polepiece.

I asked the same question and yes, they are. If you zoom up close on the humbucker you can see the blades. The previous owner has put a vinyl sticker on the pickup because it is black and it doesn't match the other pickups. Stupid I know and I will remove it. The BL single coils do have the poles (see here).

THe only thing that might present a problem is that the L500R is typically used in the neck position and has a bigger bottom end to it. If it bothers me, I'll put in an L500L.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 22 2006, 12:05 PM)
It's here!!!

It's beautiful!!!!

It plays awesome just like my other Yamaha!!!!

Can't wait to get off work and play it through the amps!!!!!!

Just gotta take off those annoying stickers.  And I'll probably replace the bridge if the one I want in there will fit.

I'm sure the wife is just as happy as you are!!! sarcasm.gif

http://foolstown.com/sm/git.gif

This guitar is ****ing AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way it feels and sounds is just shocking. Instantly comfortable to me since it's the same series as my original Yamaha and the pickups are nothing less than amazing. So rich in harmonics and full of life and character, I have been blinded by the EMG's for many, many years. I never knew how much tone I was missing. I still love number 1 but number 2 has knocked me off my feet. The wiring scheme is cool as hell: HSS pickup configuration with the standard strat 5 way selector. In addition to that, the volume and tone knobs are push/pull pots. The volume push/pull switches the humbucker (Bill Lawrence L500R) between parallel and series while the tone Push/pull switches the humbucker to just the single coil. My only complaint is the position of the volume knob. It's too close to my picking zone. It has to be moved for sure.

The BL has that classic, clean GUP sound. I'm in love with these pickups. Especially the single coil tone in the humbucker position. That is just awesome. I had to bust out New World Man once I discivered the sound.

At first, I didn't like the feel of the Yamaha double locking bridge but after an hour of playing it grew on me. It's much like a stop tail in the fact that is does not move at all unless you are using the bar. I can rest my palm on it and there is no flutter in the bridge.

I AM THE YAMAHA KING!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I peeled all the stickers off last night (including the one on the pickup..so stupid) and it looks much, much better. I'll take some pics and post soon.

Happy turkey day. I'm off to start cooking! trink39.gif

Edited by rushfanNlv

UPDATE!

I have found out that the volume push/pull pot is a true bypass function meaning that when pulled up, all pickups in all positions bypass the volume and tone knobs. The sound is brighter and louder obviously.

The tone push/pull pot changes the bridge humbucker from being two single coils with one running in to eachother (the normal MO for a humbucker) to two single coils operating independently of eachother. The result sounds just like a single coil on steroids.

So in affect, I have a FAT strat that is switchable to a non fat strat.

Finally had a chance to take some pictures.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/Yamaha%20SE700e/DCP_1098.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/Yamaha%20SE700e/DCP_1100.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/Yamaha%20SE700e/DCP_1103.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/Yamaha%20SE700e/DCP_1104.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/Yamaha%20SE700e/DCP_1112.jpg

The bridge will soon be replaced by an Ibanez Edge I purchased from Ebay. The bridge pickup may get replaced by a Bill Lawrence L500L and the L500R is a little heavy on the bass end but it still sounds great. The thing I like about the Bill Lawrence pickups is that they are very, very clean.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 11 2007, 01:01 AM)
Awesome Bro!!! Never saw this thread, congrats on the new axe!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Odd that you bring this thread up again right at the time it is getting out of the shop! I pick it up on Monday with the modifications mentioned above:

An Ibanez Edge bridge installed (had to find that on Ebay as they do not make the original anymore) and a Bill Lawrance L500-L pickup in the bridge.

It should have that GUP tone to it that I've been looking for.

i myself own a Yamaha RGX121, and decided that the pickups sound are too sweet that needs replacements.

I`m planning to buy a B.lawrence humbuckers to be installed on

my Yamaha, how would you suggest, the L-500L or the L-500 XL??

i`m still confused between those two

Edited by buttprobe

QUOTE (buttprobe @ Feb 17 2007, 04:37 AM)
i myself own a Yamaha RGX121, and decided that the pickups sound are too sweet that needs replacements.

I`m planning to buy a B.lawrence humbuckers to be installed on
my Yamaha, how would you suggest, the L-500L or the L-500 XL??

i`m still confused between those two

The XL just has a few more turns of wire than the L and therefore the XL is going to be a higher output than the L. THe Yamaha came with an L500R in the bridge which is really a nice, clean pickup but it's a little bassy for my taste.