THe Best H2G2 Book

what went wrong?

Which of Douglas Adams' Hitchikers' books is your favorite?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Douglas Adams' Hitchikers' books is your favorite?

• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    • Life, the Universe, and Everything
    • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
    • Mostly Harmless
    • Young Zaphod Plays it Safe (short story)
    • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (all)
    • I just can't decide!
    • I don't like any of them (then why are you here?)

My fave is Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Currently, I'm reading the Ultimate h2g2, which is a complete collection of the the books, plus the short story "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe". The whole book is only 815 pages long, and includes a short bio on DNA (Douglas Noel Adams, for those who don't know). It brings joy to my heart, and smiles to each of my two faces. wub.gif

"Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is my favorite, too. "Life, the Universe, and Everything" didn't do much for me (Adams actually adapted it from a proposed "Doctor Who" script he wrote), but then I liked the fourth book, "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" - which some love, and others not.

I've only read the first three. The first one was the best of those. Better humour, action and everything else that is necessary. The second one was pretty neat while the third one was actually painful to get through. I hope the fourth (whenever I do read it) is much better.

I voted for the whole kit and kiboodle, because I tend to treat series as single entities rather than a collection of volumes.

While there are probably better moments in the first volume, Restaurant... is a better book, probably because it was written as a book, as distinct from its predecessor which was cobbled together from a series of radio scripts and suffers in places from a disjointedness over and above the inherent confusion of the plot.

I think the best written of all the books from a literary point of view is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, and if I were to pick an individual volume, that would actually be it.

I envy you Slime - You're in for a treat reading this for the first time.