Bass drum beater.

sfuentes

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 25 2006, 10:22 PM)
loosen the drumhead?
hold your foot down on the pedal after kicking?
give us more details?

I've tried all of those things, the beaters I'm using are the stock DW ones on the DW 4002 double pedal. Say if I put on a head with a hole, would that do anything?

And what I mean by bouncing is that I press the pedal and keep it depressed, and the beater bounces off the head twice or more.

Edited by sfuentes

It's caused by the way you play the drum. A lot of drummers 'smash' the beater into the drumhead, instead of playing it the right way by letting the beater hit then come back naturally, using the tension of the pedal itself. You have to change your playing style so your foot releases the beater directly after impact. This is a tough thing to teach yourself, especially if you have never been taught the correct way.

I would say somewhere around 80% of drummers smash the beater against the drum, which technically is not the correct method.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 26 2006, 10:03 AM)
It's caused by the way you play the drum. A lot of drummers 'smash' the beater into the drumhead, instead of playing it the right way by letting the beater hit then come back naturally, using the tension of the pedal itself. You have to change your playing style so your foot releases the beater directly after impact. This is a tough thing to teach yourself, especially if you have never been taught the correct way.
I would say somewhere around 80% of drummers smash the beater against the drum, which technically is not the correct method.

Correct.... and it's a difficult thing to learn if you've been playing "incorrectly" for a long time. I guess I"m somewhere in the middle, so my kick drum playing can be affected slightly by the tuning and the front head's hole, etc. Pedal tension is a big factor as well. I keep mine as tight as it will go so it stays glued to my foot.

On a side note, I removed my front head completely for experimentation purposes (trying to get a decent recorded kick sound) and that made the front head feel like mush....sort-of an over-exagerated bouncy problem.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 26 2006, 08:03 AM)

Agreed. Having the beater bounce off the head is a good thing.

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 28 2006, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Aug 28 2006, 07:17 PM)
I see, thank you all for the advice.

bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif sfuentes, long time no see smile.gif How the hell are you? trink39.gif

Hey! Everything's been good, I just can't find the time to ever get online, and this is one of those rare times.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Sep 2 2006, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 28 2006, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Aug 28 2006, 07:17 PM)
I see, thank you all for the advice.

bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif sfuentes, long time no see smile.gif How the hell are you? trink39.gif

Hey! Everything's been good, I just can't find the time to ever get online, and this is one of those rare times.

bekloppt.gif Good to here that all is well. Your busy that's good new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Glad to see you pop in here once in a while trink39.gif

Jack Aubrey's the man. I'd follow the advice of that drum bible, for sure. That 4002 is their lower line but still should work ok. If nothing else works I'd try tightening the spring tension. First place I'd look at is to loosen the tension of the drum, though. Sorry, I don't have time to read all the reply's right now...