Rogue Waves

Planet X-1

some interesting facts and pic I found:

* In 1933 the US Navy ship Ramapo was hit by a wave estimated at 112ft in the North Pacific

* One of the most hair-raising rogue wave stories describes what happened to the 81,000-ton, 1,000-foot-long liner the Queen Mary in late 1942 during World War II. It was loaded with 15,000 American soldiers bound for England when it hit a storm 700 miles off Scotland. Without warning, "one freak mountainous wave" hit the ship broadside. The ship listed enough for water to wash onto her upper decks. For a few seconds experienced seamen aboard thought the Queen Mary was going to roll over. But it righted itself and continued. Rogue waves have sunk other ships, including large ones. Bascom says rogue waves probably explain what happened to many ships that have disappeared without a trace.

* Hurrican Ivan produced a wave measuring 131'

*QEII

Passengers' favorite questions are usually about the worst storm and the roughest crossing. Captain Warwick said the most dramatic came during hurricane Lewis (1996). The ship hove to, making 4-5 knots to maintain steering into the mountainous seas, and he advised passengers to stay in their cabins. The ship encountered a massive rogue wave, estimated at 95 feet high--the same height from the ocean surface as eye level from the bridge.

According to the captain, the white cresting wall looked like the white cliffs of Dover, and he turned aside in case the forward glass windows gave. They held, and a shudder went through the ship, but the only damage was to the foredeck and a tripod mast at the bow. A less well-built vessel might have been in considerable trouble with such a powerful force coming down hard on the forward part of the ship.

-------pic off of Spain

http://www.esa.int/images/wea00800,1.jpg

I used to work on a Dive Support vessel in the North Sea for several years, and though I have never encountered anything quite as big as some of the waves mentioned, I do remember being hit by several 18 metre (60') waves in the Southern sector. Pretty scary, as it looks like you are about to be rammed by a cliff!

Archived