RIP Mario Zagallo & Franz Beckenbauer

Recently we have lost the first 2 men to have won the World Cup as a player (Zagallo in 1958 & 1962, Franz in 1974) & as a manager (Mario in 1970, Franz in 1990).  

Mario was a very good player (from what I have read) but in some ways he was even better as a manager - getting all the pieces to work together with the magnificent 1970 Brazil side.

Franz was a magnificent defender (or so I have read) and played for a large part of the crazy 1970 semi-final against Italy (best world cup match ever? - based on what I have seen on youtube I would say yes - I welcome comments from those more knowledgable then I am about the sport though) with his arm in a sling.  Yes, Germany could not sub him out - but he was still playing hard.  Impressive.  But, after wining it all in 1974 he retired and eventually came back to manage Germany to glory in 1990.

RIP giants of the beautiful game.

• Like 2

Two greats of the game.

I don't really remember Zagallo as a player  .... I was about 7 when he finished playing, but I certainly remember him managing the legendary 1970 Brazilian team.

As for Der Kaiser ... he played for the mighty Bayern Munich as I was growing up. A legend.

RIP Mario & Franz.

• Like 1