Inspired by a Reddit Post - The Subdivisions Pentalogy

chemistry1973

I`ve often felt that the child from Analog Kid moves to Circumstances. Although the chronology of releases doesn`t work, the personality does - a bit more cynical and still not where he needs to be. I hope it doesn`t lead to The Pass...

Both Analog Kid and Circumstances are based on Neil's experiences. When he was an adolescent, he met that "fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs" on summer vacation. Circumstances is based on his short time living in London, trying to get work as a drummer, So those two songs are certainly related. Also, of course, Lakeside Park is also based on Neil's memories of teenage years at that very park.

Even Fly By Night is autobiographical to Neil. I've always loved the lyrics, "Moon-rise, thoughtful eyes - Staring back at me from the window beside". That's Neil looking at his own reflection in the window of the airplane he was sitting on, during a night flight to London. (Which eventually led to Circumstances!) He based his lyrics on an entry into his own personal diary, though he might have described that "diary" as simply his "scribblings".

Edited by Geddyleegenes