Album Construction: what’s important to you?

Entre_Perpetuo

this is tough. cause if i like an album i just like it.

but.....i prefer to have an album be a nice killer 45 minutes. i can do an album over an hour but i'm picky. if your gonna go 50 mins-to an hour or more. have your A game.

i hate sitting through an hour album where it's maybe they have 45 mins of great. then the rest is wasting my time with filler THAT'S THERE FOR NO REASON!!!!! exept to make a long album.

i HATE that.

so much, lol and truth be told. most bands/artists cannot pull of an hour. There are some yes. but MOST.......no.

Mick

:goodone:

40 minutes is tough, 60 is near impossible. Late-career RUSH really fell victim to too much filler.

(and some shoddy lyrics @Counterparts, T4E, and SnA)

In many cases with Rush the lyrics got better and more focused.

When? In their later albums? I tend to disagree.

Yes. The later albums. Not all of it, but most. It's OK to disagree.

I think Neil's lyric writing got better AND worse. Maturity and experience gave him better insight into the human experience which led to some amazing post-classic era lyrics. He also put out some less than amazing lyrics though, as he explored non-traditional or era-specific topics and worked to fill cd-length albums.

Neil Peart has written some amazing and original lyrics. Brilliant and great stuff. He has also written some contrived and misdirected lyrics. Cliched and unimpressive. I think it averages to Neil Peart being a good lyricist. And let's not forget that Geddy Lee is essentially his editor. Geddy won't sing what he can't connect to.

• Like 1