Import Vinyl Pressings...

latheofheaven

Hello! This is my first post here. WOW! What a site! Holy smokes, I never realized that there was such a rich resource available to us.

Well, firstly I basically listen to vinyl only when doing serious listening. I think that I have most of the original U.S. pressings of Rush's albums. My copy of 2112 sounds really good, but being pretty old, even though it's been cleaned and of course I've been very careful with it as with all of my albums, in the 2 or 3 quieter passages there are some recurring 'ticks' So, I would LIKE to get a better pressing if possible.

I'm sure you guys know this stuff backwards and forwards, thus my extreme desire to hear from you. I would like to know if the first or 2nd UK, Japanese, or German pressings of primarily THIS album, but any others too, are either comparable to the original U.S. pressings or perhaps better as are many of my other Japanese and German pressings mostly.

I have already snagged one Near Mint UK first pressing copy for about $27 shipped to the U.S., so I'm really looking forward to hearing what that sounds like. A friend of mine while we were at a record show happened to snag a number of UK Rush albums (the li'l B@stard saw them first! :) ) and they actually did seem to sound slightly better than mine (I think he got 2112, AFTK, and Moving Pictures)

I also have the opportunity to purchase a Near Mint copy of what I believe is the 2nd Japanese pressing (1981) for about $40 shipped. A bit pricey for me, but I would LOVE to know if anyone has this pressing and knows what it sounds like compared to the original U.S. or just in general.

Any other suggestions, please, as far as ANY of the vinyl Imports that would be an improvement over the U.S. ones, would be GREATLY appreciated. I've heard a direct comparison between my U.S. pressing (it actually MIGHT have even been a Columbia House pressing!) and the new Remaster (hologram) and although IF you didn't already have the original it wasn't too bad, really, but I could hear more openness and staging in the original.

Thank you all so much for any guidance and input!

• Like 2

I have all Rush albums in Japanese vinyl pressings (the ones that were released at least, up to HYF) and I have always enjoied listening to them; I can't make an accurate comparison because I use my turntable just sometimes but I have always loved the experience.

Jap vinyl pressings are often of great quality (both mastering and manufacturing) and UK is another valid source in the matter, mainly for British bands.

I'd love to get a couple of Pink Floyd remastered Jap vinyls released last year but price, shipment and customs would make them too expensive.

• Like 1

Welcome toTRF! Another LP only member. You and Zumbi will get along great!

Oh yea...Zumbi doesn't get along with anyone...

Heh... now I look forward to 'meeting' this Zumbi... :)

BTW, thanks kindly for the replies. I'll hafta check my notifications here because I didn't get any e'mails letting me know of your replies.

Cheers!

Hello! This is my first post here. WOW! What a site! Holy smokes, I never realized that there was such a rich resource available to us.

Well, firstly I basically listen to vinyl only when doing serious listening. I think that I have most of the original U.S. pressings of Rush's albums. My copy of 2112 sounds really good, but being pretty old, even though it's been cleaned and of course I've been very careful with it as with all of my albums, in the 2 or 3 quieter passages there are some recurring 'ticks' So, I would LIKE to get a better pressing if possible.

I'm sure you guys know this stuff backwards and forwards, thus my extreme desire to hear from you. I would like to know if the first or 2nd UK, Japanese, or German pressings of primarily THIS album, but any others too, are either comparable to the original U.S. pressings or perhaps better as are many of my other Japanese and German pressings mostly.

I have already snagged one Near Mint UK first pressing copy for about $27 shipped to the U.S., so I'm really looking forward to hearing what that sounds like. A friend of mine while we were at a record show happened to snag a number of UK Rush albums (the li'l B@stard saw them first! :) ) and they actually did seem to sound slightly better than mine (I think he got 2112, AFTK, and Moving Pictures)

I also have the opportunity to purchase a Near Mint copy of what I believe is the 2nd Japanese pressing (1981) for about $40 shipped. A bit pricey for me, but I would LOVE to know if anyone has this pressing and knows what it sounds like compared to the original U.S. or just in general.

Any other suggestions, please, as far as ANY of the vinyl Imports that would be an improvement over the U.S. ones, would be GREATLY appreciated. I've heard a direct comparison between my U.S. pressing (it actually MIGHT have even been a Columbia House pressing!) and the new Remaster (hologram) and although IF you didn't already have the original it wasn't too bad, really, but I could hear more openness and staging in the original.

Hello! "Welcome To The Machine!"

I will be that guy on here and tell you that I have every Japanese pressing by RUSH ever made.

Any Japanese pressing on vinyl or cd blows away all USA versions and EURO versions!

Trust Me!

I have been collecting Japanese cds since they were invented.

If you have "The Big Money" to burn then do it! I started my Japanese pressing collection back in like 1990. I am blessed.

I am a completist and an audiophile.

I have it all.

The gold cd pressings of all RUSH albums are worth ensnaring too.

Do you have the RUSH SHM cd pressings in mini cardboard sleeves?

EPIC

• Like 2

I will be that guy on here and tell you that I have every Japanese pressing by RUSH ever made.

Any Japanese pressing on vinyl or cd blows away all USA versions and EURO versions!

Trust Me!

If you have "The Big Money" to burn then do it! I started my Japanese pressing collection back in like 1990. I am blessed.

I have it all.

EPIC

Heh... 'Welcome to the Machine'... I like that :)

Appreciate the passion mate! I am there with you. I don't do CDs, although I appreciate their place (not to mention that along with my vinyl collection I also have a 2 TB drive with about 10,000 FLAC, SACD's, DVD-A's, & BLU-RAY-A's :) ) But, for my serious, high-end listening I only do vinyl. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 1981 Near Mint Japanese pressing of 2112, so I'm looking forward to hearing that. Just 'because' (and having a bit more work, finally, lately helps...) I also snagged a first UK pressing of 2112. So, ONE of them HAS to be at least comparable to my original U.S. pressing! Most of the Japanese pressings that I have are pretty good; there are a few squirrelly ones, but overall definitely better than domestic U.S. pressings. I personally have found that overall German pressings have been pretty consistent.

Thanks again everyone for the nice welcome and the helpful information!

Edited by latheofheaven
  • Like 2

Trust Me!

I have it all.

EPIC

Heh... 'Welcome to the Machine'... I like that :)

Appreciate the passion mate! I am there with you. I don't do CDs, although I appreciate their place (not to mention that along with my vinyl collection I also have a 2 TB drive with about 10,000 FLAC, SACD's, DVD-A's, & BLU-RAY-A's :) ) But, for my serious, high-end listening I only do vinyl. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 1981 Near Mint Japanese pressing of 2112, so I'm looking forward to hearing that. Just 'because' (and having a bit more work, finally, lately helps...) I also snagged a first UK pressing of 2112. So, ONE of them HAS to be at least comparable to my original U.S. pressing! Most of the Japanese pressings that I have are pretty good; there are a few squirrelly ones, but overall definitely better than domestic U.S. pressings. I personally have found that overall German pressings have been pretty consistent.

Thanks again everyone for the nice welcome and the helpful information!

Thank you for the kind words! Yes! I just saw Roger Waters last Saturday so I'm in a very Pink Floyd mode.

I love that you are a vinyl addict. While I do not have a record player I am that strange guy. I love buying rare picture discs and rare reissued vinyl.

For instance, I had to buy "Wish You Were Here" on vinyl in the black bag.

I am sorry you do not go for the Japanese cd mini lp pressings. For instance I have a few "Wish You Were Here" cd mini lp pressings in the black bag.

This is what I love about Japan. They package their cds like they were vinyl. It's my drug of choice.

I could write a book about what Japan has done. I have been buying Japanese cd mini lp pressings since their creation.

I know we just met tonight but I am soon happy for you!! Japanese vinyl is like listening to sonic perfection for human ears.

I love your passion too and you are rare like me. Just different tastes in media.

I would take any German or UK pressing over the USA crap. JMO

That goes for vinyl and cds.

I hope you can find all of your Japanese Rush pressings!

Again, I have no record player but I have them all!

I am crazy buddy.

RUSH is my band. 60 times in 30 years.

I am happy.

RUSH ON!!

By the way.....

I was born and raised in the Bay Area but some day when I retire I will move to San Diego. My goal is to move to Coronado.

Very expensive but I don't care. I will be "Finding My Way" to score some real estate there.

Whether with a good woman or alone, I will pursue my goals and my dreams will turn into reality.

I love Petco Park.

Sorry you couldn't keep your Chargers. So sad.

And I'm a Raider season ticket holder.

Cheers!

I have all Rush albums in Japanese vinyl pressings (the ones that were released at least, up to HYF) and I have always enjoied listening to them; I can't make an accurate comparison because I use my turntable just sometimes but I have always loved the experience.

Jap vinyl pressings are often of great quality (both mastering and manufacturing) and UK is another valid source in the matter, mainly for British bands.

I'd love to get a couple of Pink Floyd remastered Jap vinyls released last year but price, shipment and customs would make them too expensive.

My God Geezer.

No wonder I love you.

• Like 1

If you thew a big bucket of cow chum into the pacific ocean near San Francisco, then you can call me JAWS. I'm bitting.....

"Once Bitten Twice Shy"

Signed,

Great White

One thing I love about the Japanese pressings on cd is that they contain bonus tracks. The UK does the same thing sometimes.

Like for instance. "Twice Shy" by Great White contains bonus tracks for Japan and the UK only.

Signed,

WASTED ROCK RANGER

I love the USA and I am proud to be an American but when it comes to music and pressing albums and cds, it just sucks. It's so sad.

This is not just about RUSH. It's about the entire world of music.

It it wasn't for Japan and Europe my God, my music collection would be insipid.

I know the world is changing and everyone has to download, Apple Music or Spotify?

Whatever man.

I was just telling one of my best friends on here, Treeduck that I had no choice to join Apple Music because my new Audi doesn't have a cd player.

It sucks, but anyway I'm rambling.

You ROCK!

Have a good night.

By the way.....

I was born and raised in the Bay Area but some day when I retire I will move to San Diego. My goal is to move to Coronado.

Very expensive but I don't care. I will be "Finding My Way" to score some real estate there.

Whether with a good woman or alone, I will pursue my goals and my dreams will turn into reality.

I love Petco Park.

Sorry you couldn't keep your Chargers. So sad.

And I'm a Raider season ticket holder.

Cheers!

WOW! 60 times in 30 years??!!! Are you frigg'n kidding me?! WOW again! Now THAT is a bloody fan! you sire must absolutely be THE number one Rush fan, hands down! That HAS to be a world record mate! :)

Actually, of the CDs and rips from them that I have collected, I must admit that the Japanese mini-vinyl CDs are likely the best. I do have a lot of those, so I do totally agree with you. Basically, the reason why I even have so much stuff in digital format at all, is because I do my casual (digital) listening at home on my decent, but nothing wildly special system. So, I want to have pretty much bloody EVERYTHING in existence that I want in the highest digital quality format possible. However, when I want to do serious listening, I have a sound room about a mile from my house where I have it set up with my higher end system and all of my vinyl. Here are a few pictures if you wanna check it out. I even made my own record cleaning machine, which actually works better than my friend's Nitty Gritty manual one, mainly because the suction is so strong and it covers more of the vinyl.

Cheers mate!

https://goo.gl/photos/1GQdsjbkgWf3UVvc7

I love the USA and I am proud to be an American but when it comes to music and pressing albums and cds, it just sucks. It's so sad.

This is not just about RUSH. It's about the entire world of music.

It it wasn't for Japan and Europe my God, my music collection would be insipid.

I know the world is changing and everyone has to download, Apple Music or Spotify?

Whatever man.

I was just telling one of my best friends on here, Treeduck that I had no choice to join Apple Music because my new Audi doesn't have a cd player.

It sucks, but anyway I'm rambling.

You ROCK!

Have a good night.

Thanks! Yeah, I've found after collecting vinyl for over 35 years that mostly UK, Japanese, and German pressings are almost invariably always better. But, that's why I just wanted to make sure and check here where I'm sure a number of you avid Rush fans will almost certainly have some of these and will be able to let me know, or even specifically give your impressions on how the new reissues compare sonically to the original or older vinyl pressings.

And, YES, just from an aesthetic viewpoint, all this frigg'n STREAMING and 'Instant Media' crap is HUGELY annoying! I know, it honestly does indeed have it's place and is very useful for many people. But, like David Lynch said, 'I don't want people watching my movies on a F-----n telephone!' :D

I'm quite an avid movie collector and videophile too. I am more forgiving with video in the sense that in this case I don't mind some augmentation or what I may personally perceive as 'bettering' the image, which I have done a number of times, even with Blu-rays using AVS script, etc. With Audio though, I am much more of a purist. For serious listening, NO digital, NO EQ, no NOTHING in between the signal and the drivers, or as little as possible.

Edited by latheofheaven
  • Like 1

If you thew a big bucket of cow chum into the pacific ocean near San Francisco, then you can call me JAWS. I'm bitting.....

"Once Bitten Twice Shy"

Signed,

Great White

One thing I love about the Japanese pressings on cd is that they contain bonus tracks. The UK does the same thing sometimes.

Like for instance. "Twice Shy" by Great White contains bonus tracks for Japan and the UK only.

Signed,

WASTED ROCK RANGER

Good point! Usually LOTS of Xtra excellent stuff on the CDs. I have TONS of it on my HDDs :)

Welcome toTRF! Another LP only member. You and Zumbi will get along great!Oh yea...Zumbi doesn't get along with anyone...
Lathe and I must have been separated at birth! LOL!
Yeah, and YOU got all the money and good looks you B@stard! :smash: Edited by latheofheaven

Do you buy all of the MFSL vinyl pressings too?

Alan Parsons stuff is EPIC

Oh yes! I have many MOFI discs, mostly the original ones that came out 25+ years ago :)

Recently though, I went down to San Diego (I live about 30 mile north of there) to a record store that I really like but that I hadn't been to in a few years (it's called 'Record City') and darned if a guy hadn't JUST brought in a brand new, sealed Mobile Fidelity Miles Davis 'In a Silent Way'! IMMEDIATELY before taking a single breath I yelled, 'HOW MUCH!' The guy is a friend of mine, so he actually gave me what I felt was a surprisingly good price. Only $20! Needless to say, I think I heard a thunderclap when I broke the sound barrier getting my wallet out! :D

I have a frigg'n BEAUTIFUL print of Alan Parsons' 'I Robot', which in my lowly and wretched opinion is the best album he ever did. I believe I have a Japanese pressing of that (my friend also had a MOFI of it too, IIRC) But, I still do have quite a few of his albums. Seems like I have his first album, the 'Poe' one in some kind of special pressing, but I don't remember off hand.