ABZ's Football (Soccer) Thread!!

ABZ Highlander

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A man thing.. That's probably why I don't get it and try not to get involved. tongue.gif

You're all like cavemen, I'm trying to strike up intelligent conversation over football and you're trying to hit me on the head with a club.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (nimagraven @ May 23 2008, 02:33 AM)
A man thing.. That's probably why I don't get it and try not to get involved. tongue.gif

You're all like cavemen, I'm trying to strike up intelligent conversation over football and you're trying to hit me on the head with a club.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif

Can 'pool just do United over next year instead of always making good starts and then only to fade away at the end?

If Torres remains uninjured they might have a good chance unsure.gif

I think it's possible. I mean I think we outplayed them at Anfield the past few years and they've had a sneaky goal or two that's nicked it, so definitely... They are a very lucky team though... But I also think our main problem is that despite our domination we didn't do enough to create or finish our hard work off.

In terms of Torres, I think he'll be ok.. fingers crossed. I'm more worried about Benitez and his "we must rotate players" scheme. We play a lot better with Torres there than Crouch/Kuyt or Kuyt/Voronin...

QUOTE (nimagraven @ May 23 2008, 03:40 AM)
I think it's possible. I mean I think we outplayed them at Anfield the past few years and they've had a sneaky goal or two that's nicked it, so definitely... They are a very lucky team though... But I also think our main problem is that despite our domination we didn't do enough to create or finish our hard work off.

In terms of Torres, I think he'll be ok.. fingers crossed. I'm more worried about Benitez and his "we must rotate players" scheme. We play a lot better with Torres there than Crouch/Kuyt or Kuyt/Voronin...

Yes. What I liked about this season is that United didn't just run away with it. It would have been better had Liverpool and Arsenal also pressed them all the way. I'm hoping Villa and Everton can get in there too and give them a run for their money.

I got fed up with the Premiership being all about one or two teams, I want to see better competition. 1287.gif

QUOTE (Kubla @ May 27 2008, 01:55 AM)
Congratulations to Stockport County, who gained promotion to League 1 yesterday in a fine match of football.

trink39.gif 1287.gif trink39.gif

Yep, it was definitely good. I need to hit up my friend who is a Stockport fan. I bet he went and I bet he's over the moon smile.gif.

QUOTE (Kubla @ May 27 2008, 06:55 AM)
Congratulations to Stockport County, who gained promotion to League 1 yesterday in a fine match of football.

trink39.gif  1287.gif  trink39.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I was there!

It was bloody brilliant, finally a play-off win at Wembley. I felt sorry for the Rochdale fans, it's a long journey home when your team's lost, I know.

trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ May 27 2008, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Kubla @ May 27 2008, 06:55 AM)

trink39.gif  1287.gif  trink39.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I was there!

It was bloody brilliant, finally a play-off win at Wembley. I felt sorry for the Rochdale fans, it's a long journey home when your team's lost, I know.

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Congrats Man!! Great News!

QUOTE (Kubla @ May 30 2008, 11:49 AM)
Some sense at long last

FIFA Endorses rule regarding foreign players

It's not sensical at all.

The quota is a horrible idea. Yes, it would get more English players playing first-team football, but that won't make them good. It'll mean having teams full of good but not brilliant players like Stewart Downing or Jonathon Woodgate. The only way England, and I single them out because this is the only country where the quota will have any significance, are ever going to have a large talent pool to pick from is by creating more than one centre-of-excellence. They need at least 5 regional centre's to get good.

Like Fabio Capello recently said in an interview;

Interviewer: "Do you think for the sake of player development - and ultimately the England team - there should be a cap applied?

FC: "No. English players should be playing at the top clubs because they are outstanding, not because of a quota."

What fifa should be doing is stopping idiots like Arsene Wenger drafting young foreigners into academies. If English clubs kept them English, there wouldn't be a need for a quota. Manchester United have had some pretty successful English players and where did they come from? Welsh clubs' academies contain mainly Welsh youngsters and look what's happening to them - being snapped up by PL clubs for big money, and the the young Welsh side ends up drawing with Germany.

Euro 2008;

Germany looked really strong last night, so they'll probably win it. I would've gone for Croatia, but without Eduardo they really don't look strong. Holland would've been my other choice, but their midfield is looking really, really weak right now. Van Basten really has screwed that midfield up; with Cocu retiring, then he falls out with the two defensive midfielders who would've taken his place. We'll see how if Italy can win it tonight. They could crumble without Cannavaro, which is a shame because with him, they would have been dead certs.

My head also says Germany, but my heart says Portugal.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 9 2008, 07:20 AM)
Some sense at long last

The quota is a horrible idea. Yes, it would get more English players playing first-team football, but that won't make them good. It'll mean having teams full of good but not brilliant players like Stewart Downing or Jonathon Woodgate. The only way England, and I single them out because this is the only country where the quota will have any significance, are ever going to have a large talent pool to pick from is by creating more than one centre-of-excellence. They need at least 5 regional centre's to get good.

Interviewer: "Do you think for the sake of player development - and ultimately the England team - there should be a cap applied?

FC: "No. English players should be playing at the top clubs because they are outstanding, not because of a quota."

What fifa should be doing is stopping idiots like Arsene Wenger drafting young foreigners into academies. If English clubs kept them English, there wouldn't be a need for a quota. Manchester United have had some pretty successful English players and where did they come from? Welsh clubs' academies contain mainly Welsh youngsters and look what's happening to them - being snapped up by PL clubs for big money, and the the young Welsh side ends up drawing with Germany.

You assumed that this was my reason for saying this...

ho hum.

QUOTE (Kubla @ Jun 9 2008, 01:38 PM)
Some sense at long last

ho hum.

Yeah, you didn't really specify what the sense behind it was, so I could only assume this seeing as almost every Englishman I've talked to is screaming out for this so they can win the World Cup sarcasm.gif Maybe if you elaborate next time, you won't have to put up with my boring posts.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 9 2008, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Kubla @ Jun 9 2008, 01:38 PM)
Some sense at long last

ho hum.

Yeah, you didn't really specify what the sense behind it was, so I could only assume this seeing as almost every Englishman I've talked to is screaming out for this so they can win the World Cup sarcasm.gif Maybe if you elaborate next time, you won't have to put up with my boring posts.

My reasons are far more simple than all that. Whilst I agree with some of what you said, I just want to see MORE English players playing in the PL. Full stop.

England will never win anything any more in football, no matter what players you put in with them week in week out.

Whilst I agree to some extent that foreign players will help English players to develop to some extent, there will never be enough players of the standard needed to win Euro/World Cup etc.

So with all that in mind I'd prefer to see a limit imposed on the amount of foreign players playing for a PL team, simply to give more English players a chance.

There were no foreign players playing in the top flight only as recently as 1978. It was only just after WC 1978 in Argentina that teams started to sign foreigners (Ardiles and Villa for Spurs, Tarantini for Birmingham, and Kazi Deyna (RiP) for Man City).

Having said that, there were a lot more Scots, Irish and Welsh players (half of Man U were 'Celtic' in the early 1980's), so I would like to extend the restriction to "British" players rather than just "English".

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but how many Brits do you see playing for European clubs? Not many.

There definitely isn't enough English players playing in the PL anymore, but that's probably because as youngsters these days they prefer to drink cider on street corners and play too many video games.

I know, I'm not fond of English youth wink.gif.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 9 2008, 04:27 AM)
Euro 2008;

Germany looked really strong last night, so they'll probably win it. I would've gone for Croatia, but without Eduardo they really don't look strong. Holland would've been my other choice, but their midfield is looking really, really weak right now. Van Basten really has screwed that midfield up; with Cocu retiring, then he falls out with the two defensive midfielders who would've taken his place. We'll see how if Italy can win it tonight. They could crumble without Cannavaro, which is a shame because with him, they would have been dead certs.

My head also says Germany, but my heart says Portugal.

Germany has a strong team so it's possible that they will go to the finals. Poland will get rid of Croatia. wink.gif Holland and Italy is going to be a good game. I think whoever emerges from the group of death will play Spain in the semi-finals and maybe make it to the finals.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Jun 9 2008, 10:20 AM)
There definitely isn't enough English players playing in the PL anymore, but that's probably because as youngsters these days they prefer to drink cider on street corners and play too many video games.

I know, I'm not fond of English youth wink.gif.

One of the reasons Brazil are so good at football (and skilful too) is because the youngsters play footie on the beach. Beach footie is excellent at developing skills because of the relative handicap you have when attempting to kick the ball in sand.

I hardly see kids playing football any more. All I ever did as a child was play football and cricket with my mates.

Archived