RUSH TRIBUTE BANDS

Galaxy9

Hey everyone. New to the site here but wanted to put in a topic about Rush tribute bands. For over 10 years i've tried to put together a rush tribute band here in Wichita Kansas to no avail. I do realize that Wichita is not a huge city but it still sucks. I am a major Rush fan who plays keyboards and have went to great lengths to be able to play ALL keyboard parts from all albums up to Power Windows and some beyond. I've seen a band called 2112 (they were from Nebraska i believe) that came here twice and were really good, and since my friend was running the lights that night I got to meet them all. Since then they have broken up and went on to other projects. I've went to all the Rush tribute band web sites and really haven't been all that impressed. Only one was close on all aspects (music and vocals). I forget the name now. Anyone out there know of any, have went to see any live, or are trying to put one together?? RUSH RULES!!!!!!
  • Like 1

Never heard of 'em... tongue.gif

Check the Shameless Plug threads in this forum. I am truly shameless. We are in California, with little hope of ever geting out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcdiazjr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trilogy_june2005_300.jpg

The problem is, making time to organize a tribute band, it really has to be non profit. It isn't like you can get work every week. So, really, you have to make it a side project or have a day job. It is hard to find musicians willing to do that. I live in Atlanta and one of these days, I plan to start a tribute band so I can be like Cyg smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 23 2005, 02:01 AM)
Never heard of 'em... tongue.gif

Check the Shameless Plug threads in this forum. I am truly shameless. We are in California, with little hope of ever getting out.

When you DO make it out of CA, the world tour kicks off in the lovely metropolis of Birmingham. We have both indoor and outdoor venues, take your pick. Can I get backstage passes? biggrin.gif Or I could be a roadie? Or DRUM TECH! Adam knows I have drum-toting experience. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 23 2005, 06:38 AM)
The problem is, making time to organize a tribute band, it really has to be non profit. It isn't like you can get work every week. So, really, you have to make it a side project or have a day job. It is hard to find musicians willing to do that. I live in Atlanta and one of these days, I plan to start a tribute band so I can be like Cyg smile.gif

YES! Do it, Lee! Atlanta's only three hours away from me. biggrin.gif

Yeah we are a total side project kind of thing. We do it because Adam has the kit and because we can. We all do other projects that are more lucrative. But it is funner than hell, and quite a challenge.

QUOTE (Galaxy9 @ Sep 23 2005, 12:25 AM)
Hey everyone. New to the site here but wanted to put in a topic about Rush tribute bands. For over 10 years i've tried to put together a rush tribute band here in Wichita Kansas to no avail. I do realize that Wichita is not a huge city but it still sucks. I am a major Rush fan who plays keyboards and have went to great lengths to be able to play ALL keyboard parts from all albums up to Power Windows and some beyond.  I've seen a band called 2112 (they were from Nebraska i believe) that came here twice and were really good, and since my friend was running the lights that night I got to meet them all. Since then they have broken up and went on to other projects. I've went to all the Rush tribute band web sites and really haven't been all that impressed. Only one was close on all aspects (music and vocals). I forget the name now. Anyone out there know of any, have went to see any live, or are trying to put one together?? RUSH RULES!!!!!!

I'm in Ohio and in the same boat that you are. I play guitar and have gone to alot of effort and expense to nail all of Rush's guitar work. I current have 8 guitars, a Jazz bass, and a Hughes & Kettner ZenTera. I've been playing for 30 years and started by learning Rush songs so it seems to come naturally now.

I want to put together or join a Rush trib but the music scene here is dead.

I hear what you're saying on some of the bands sounding a bit unimpressive. a few of the better ones are Momo's Dance Party, Permanent Waves, and Counterparts (from Nashville).

I know that Counterparts will be looking for a guitarist and I'd love the job if I wasn't five hours away. Jeez, I would probably commute if I had to.

BTW, I'm not really an old guy. It just seemed that there were a lot of really young kids here. smile.gif

QUOTE (teliriumdrigger @ Dec 20 2005, 02:35 AM)
the best rush tribute band by far

http://www.rushtributeband2112.com/2112.html

Cygnus pulled off an amazing imitation of "Jacob's Ladder" in his sig. You gotta check it out, I wish I could do that. sad.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Dec 20 2005, 10:25 AM)

Cygnus pulled off an amazing imitation of "Jacob's Ladder" in his sig. You gotta check it out, I wish I could do that. sad.gif

BTW, these guys are pretty wicked! 1022.gif This deserves a place in my Myspace. trink36.gif

I just recently joined a tribute band. Counterparts from Nashville, Tenn. The hard part is that I'm in Dayton, Ohio which is a five hour drive.

It's worth it to me though because these guys are very good and I think we will be able to put on one of the best Rush shows possible.

We have lasers, a dryer, rear screen, and all the technology and talent to do the music.

Here's the band website. The live pics are with their previous guitarist.

http://www.counterparts.us/

Edited by pete, the old guy

WOW. that cover of jacob's ladder is amazing. cygnus u have really outdone yourself. way to go. 1022.gif

QUOTE (pete @ the old guy,Dec 20 2005, 03:42 PM)
I just recently joined a tribute band. Counterparts from Nashville, Tenn. The hard part is that I'm in Dayton, Ohio which is a five hour drive.
It's worth it to me though because these guys are very good and I think we will be able to put on one of the best Rush shows possible.
We have lasers, a dryer, rear screen, and all the technology and talent to do the music.
Here's the band website. The live pics are with their previous guitarist.

http://www.counterparts.us/

Pete I lived in the Dayton Area for 25 years of my life. I know TONS of musicians in that area. I am planning on going to Dayton this winter and laying down some tracks with some a couple of my friends there. They both have recording equipment in their homes. How long have you lived there? Have you ever heard of Tongue-n-Groove? We played in Dayton quite a bit a few years back. That's who I played with for a while.

Let me know if you want to jam sometimes when I am in the area. I know a bass player there that is a Rush freak also, I haven't talked to him for a few years though but I can try to get a hold of him. Maybe if things don't work out with the guys you are with now then you guys can hook up. Lots of musicians in that area.

EDIT: I just checked out the website for your new band, you are on the website!!! You don't need any help. trink39.gif

Edited by Indica

Yeah I snapped a quick lousy pic so they could get me on there. I hope I can get one on there that looks a little better.

You can hear some of me in this thread. I got involved about halfway into it and were doing some really good stuff there.

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/forums/cp/...showtopic=31326

I've lived in Dayton pretty much all my life other than most of the 80's when I was on the road with a band full time.

My time is pretty limited now since I have to alternate weekends with my 5 yr. old daughter and traveling to Nashville but shoot me a PM when you're in town and maybe we can hook up.

QUOTE (teliriumdrigger @ Dec 19 2005, 11:35 PM)

4 guys.

QUOTE (teliriumdrigger @ Dec 20 2005, 01:14 PM)

WOW. that cover of jacob's ladder is amazing. cygnus u have really outdone yourself. way to go. 1022.gif

Thanks. Don't know if I outdid myself though. That song is more difficult to play with other people than by myself. Mostly in the middle.

1-0-0-1 and I have discussed doing La Villa together, but I am still having some computer issues. Once resolved we'll get it happening.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 20 2005, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (teliriumdrigger @ Dec 20 2005, 01:14 PM)

Thanks. Don't know if I outdid myself though. That song is more difficult to play with other people than by myself. Mostly in the middle.

1-0-0-1 and I have discussed doing La Villa together, but I am still having some computer issues. Once resolved we'll get it happening.

but you played all of the instruments yourself right?

I just got an SM57, and I put new speakers and tubes in my Marshall. Ready when you are. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 21 2005, 11:00 AM)

I just got an SM57, and I put new speakers and tubes in my Marshall. Ready when you are. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif I wanna play! biggrin.gif

That song is more difficult to play with other people than by myself. Mostly in the middle.

Yeah, when your bandmates suck, every song is easier to play by yourself. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 21 2005, 11:00 AM)

Pre Amp tubes and power tubes? What kind you put in?