The Civil War - Book Suggestions

Lorraine

I am a reading novice and I am sure the intelligent folks around here can steer you to the proper books but I thoroughly enjoyed Killing Lincoln. It seemed very historical to me and I like the way its written. Killing Kennedy was good too.... :huh:

I've read quite a few historical books that took place during that period and delve into it, but I've never read a book specifically about it.

I'm hoping there is one that is completely objective. I'll make up my own mind. :)

For the causes of the war, look for books on Antebellum Society. And for the aftermath, look for books on Reconstruction. The is so much there, it is difficult to fit it all into one book, and be detailed enough for what I think you are looking for. Shelby Foote wrote an amazing3 volume set that goes from Secession to the end of the war. Bruce Catton might be better for your first reading.

For the causes of the war, look for books on Antebellum Society. And for the aftermath, look for books on Reconstruction. The is so much there, it is difficult to fit it all into one book, and be detailed enough for what I think you are looking for. Shelby Foote wrote an amazing3 volume set that goes from Secession to the end of the war. Bruce Catton might be better for your first reading.

Sheldon, can you give me some titles?

Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote have written extensively about the Civil War.

Nice,

Shelby Foote is an expert on this subject. :ebert:

He is on every documentary I have ever seen on the civil war....
  • Like 1

Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote have written extensively about the Civil War.

Nice,

Shelby Foote is an expert on this subject. :ebert:

He is on every documentary I have ever seen on the civil war....

Yeah,

He is great!

I understand you are looking for non-fiction books . However, if you want to try some fiction on the subject, I recommend the Starbuck Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. 4 books so far, it tells the tale of a "Northerner" (Nate Starbuck) who ends up fighting for the South.

As with all of Cornwell's historical novels, they are superbly researched and feature all the important characters and events of the War.

• Like 2

I understand you are looking for non-fiction books . However, if you want to try some fiction on the subject, I recommend the Starbuck Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. 4 books so far, it tells the tale of a "Northerner" (Nate Starbuck) who ends up fighting for the South.

As with all of Cornwell's historical novels, they are superbly researched and feature all the important characters and events of the War.

Thank you, Foghorn. I will see if I can find one of them locally.

You can PM me your contact details if you wish and score an extra X-mas present.

I have all 4 . As I speak, I'm looking at boxes of books I've managed to rescue from closing libraries, that are clogging up my office.

I have read all the Chronicles already, and have such a gigantic list to get through, I doubt I will read them again for years.

Pity, when someone else could enjoy reading them. Oh and don't worry, they are all in English.It's British Military libraries I have been

pillaging. :madra: