Alex's black Strat on the GUP DVD

_pete_

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Oct 15 2009, 01:06 PM)
According to Robert Telleria (who wrote Merely Players) it says Porkflapsocaster. That guitar is now in the Museum of Civilization in Canada.

I was able to get a decent freeze frame on the GUP DVD and I agree.

It definitely looks like "PORKFLAPSOCASTER".

BTW, if anyone here is interested, I'll be selling the black Strat. It plays and sounds really good. Stays in tune well also. It will be cheap due to it's origins.

I scored a deal on a very nice solid black PRS CE24 so I need to make room.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/DSCN2685.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/DSCN2689.jpg

Edited by _pete_

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Nov 19 2009, 12:21 AM)
Nice pete, those 24s are sweet...and loud! biggrin.gif

Hey, where did you get your 3-pickup toggle? I have the regular 3-way gibson toggle and I need to update it. tongue.gif

How all is well.

This will be my fifth CE24. The last one I had was all black too. Just like Alex's. I had to sell it a while ago but I'm in a good position now to get another.

This one is a killer deal. I'll be putting a piezo system in it too.

I bought a Gibson LP Axcess a few weeks ago too. Damn I love that thing. The CE will complete my little collection. I got all the bases covered now.

I got the switch here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...gle_Switch.html

All is good here. What's new with you?

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Nov 19 2009, 02:23 AM)
Thanks, I knew it was on stewmac but then I got lost under hardware. tongue.gif

LP Axcess? That's awesome....let's see the pix of both.

I've been watching alot of 335s, but no.gif action just yet. ha.

Well since you asked...

Here's the Axcess, I changed the pickups already. I didn't like the Burstbucker 1&2's at all.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/022.jpg

This pic of the CE24 is from the seller. I don't have the guitar yet. It's currently at PRS getting a fret level. As soon as he gets it back, it'll be on the way to me.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr182/slyib/PRS/CE24_outside_Lg.jpg

oh yeah, that's nice.

Did you go with the Classic 57 / Classic 57+ combo on the Axcess?

Those PRS pickups are HOT. they scream. I had a PRS SE for a bit, but they are not the same quality as the CE24s so I sold it. It need locking tuners and a heavy block for the trem for sure. It sounded tin-y to me.

I love the performance of a Floyd Rose, but the saddles do make a guitar sound just a hair thinner IMO. Sure are fun thou.

Congrats on the new scores!

I have the 57/57+ in my goldtop already so I wanted something different in the Axcess.

I went with the 490R/498T combo and they suit me and the guitar really well.

Edited by _pete_

Just spent two nights working on the Hentor, so I thought I'd share some observations:

1. Pretty obvious why Alex switched to a Shark neck, the original fender neck has a pretty good radius..9 or something and the original floyd is pretty flat...that makes for some tricky D and G string notes...so I leveled the frets a bit to effectively flatten the radius to match the floyd. Would be easier just to buy a new flatter radius neck as Alex did.

2. The L500 sounds very different when the North pole is away from the bridge and the two wires (green and white) are wired to the Tone pot input to allow for split coils (per Bill's installation instructions). It's mellower now, less trebley, but still sounds like it should (100% improvement to my ears). I think I had the North pole towards the bridge, and it was way too bright that way.

3. The best toggle wiring I have found is (Bridge/ALL/Neck+Middle). This is effectively the 2 humbucker Gibson wiring with the two singles treated as a humbucker. Gives you the GUP tone, a classic SRV strat tone when up, and the middle is my favorite...a mix of both. Added bonus is that this wiring is Noiseless / Hum-canceling in every position.

Also had to fix the neck screw holes with some wood putty and a little bamboo in the hole, they were getting a bit loose. Damn 3 bolts.

Cheers!

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4529/77hentor1.jpg

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 26 2010, 04:32 PM)
Just spent two nights working on the Hentor, so I thought I'd share some observations:

1. Pretty obvious why Alex switched to a Shark neck, the original fender neck has a pretty good radius..9 or something and the original floyd is pretty flat...that makes for some tricky D and G string notes...so I leveled the frets a bit to effectively flatten the radius to match the floyd. Would be easier just to buy a new flatter radius neck as Alex did.

Modern Fender Strat necks usually have a radius of 9.5"

Another option is a neck with a compound radius fingerboard. Warmoth makes them, and are 10" at the nut, then they gradually flatten out to 16" at the heel. That's probably flat enough for the Floyd bridge. Warmoth makes the best replacement necks in the business. Expensive, but worth every penny.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Strat_WarmothPro.aspx

QUOTE (jdouglas @ May 26 2010, 03:32 PM)

2. The L500 sounds very different when the North pole is away from the bridge and the two wires (green and white) are wired to the Tone pot input to allow for split coils (per Bill's installation instructions). It's mellower now, less trebley, but still sounds like it should (100% improvement to my ears). I think I had the North pole towards the bridge, and it was way too bright that way.

3. The best toggle wiring I have found is (Bridge/ALL/Neck+Middle). This is effectively the 2 humbucker Gibson wiring with the two singles treated as a humbucker. Gives you the GUP tone, a classic SRV strat tone when up, and the middle is my favorite...a mix of both. Added bonus is that this wiring is Noiseless / Hum-canceling in every position.

Also had to fix the neck screw holes with some wood putty and a little bamboo in the hole, they were getting a bit loose. Damn 3 bolts.

Cheers!

First, congrats on a job well done.

Second, I need to see a bigger pic of that baby!

I put a Warmoth neck with the compound radius on my Red Strat and it is excellent. It plays well with the Floyd. It really improved the guitars overall tone also. Much more ballsy.

If you get a new neck for it, I'll make you a "Porkflapsocaster" decal for it so it will be authentic.

I like your wiring idea on the 3 way. I may rewire mine next time I do a string change on it so I can try that out.

For the Rush stuff I play on that guitar all i ever use is the bridge pup though.

Where did you get the L500? is it an older one or a new one?

No, it's the same L500 you directed me to buy like 3 years ago (from that guy who no longer has them). It was in the white strat before, but I never routed for the toggle on that one.

This black one is an original 1977 strat so I'm not about to change the neck (was going for authentic) unless I can get a Shark neck. I was in conversations with the owners son a year or so ago via email, but when it can down to buying one he never got back to be. Totally will ship you the neck for that decal if I ever get a Shark neck. There is an famous tech in my area, he could always re-plane the 77 neck if I was to do that (which I might but he is a bit pricey).

None of this is that trouble though, I just raised the action a hair and it plays fine, no buzz etc. I can slide 2 poker cards without hitting the strings on my 97 strat that is setup pretty low between the 12th and 15th frets, the hentor I can slide 4 cards...so the difference is 2 poker cards...not very much to me.

The only things not identical to Alex's guitar (pre Shark neck) are the tuners are Fender 70s Re-issues for now, the singles are Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s (the David Gilmour strat pickups). They are nice and make the other toggle positions very usable. And I had to replace the floyd locking nut with a new Graphite one (Alex always said he liked graphite in his nut). ha.

Something weird with my phone that I can only text pix not email them so all my pix are small until I figure it out though.

Edited by jdouglas