Question about Freewill Lyrics ...

drewb93

So, I was looking at the lyric booklet to Permanent Waves, and noticed that it lists the lyrics as "If you choose not to decide/You cannot have made a choice." Now, everywhere else I look (the Anthem Board, for example) tells me that it's "If you choose not to decide/You still have made a choice." And, as I listen to the song, it definitely sounds like the latter. Is my booklet just messed up, or what?

A friend of mine pointed that out to me not long ago. Someone just must have made a mistake I guess.. confused13.gif

(BTW, I only have the remastered version of that CD, the lyrics have apparently been corrected - "You still have made a choice" )

I've noticed that in a lot of other lyric sheets by various other bands, where it will say one thing but they're actually singing something different. The verse may still have the same meaning but the way they phrase it in the song is different. My only guess is that they wrote up the lyrics and printed the lyric sheet before recording, then when they recorded the song they found that the different words sounded better and they didn't bother to correct the lyric sheet.

It's fairly common for the singer to change the lyrics when the song is recorded, but the song lyrics have already been submitted for copyright registration and/or printing in the liner notes by that point, and there you go.

I remember noticing this particular "error" back when I first got PW on CD in 1990 or whenever. Having seen interviews with Geddy and Neil more recently (especially the interviews on the MVI version of Snakes and Arrows), it makes perfect sense to me that Neil might have written a particular set of lyrics, but Geddy tweaked them after the fact, before recording them, either to improve the rhythmic flow, reflect his personal interpretation of the lyrics, or both. And Neil would be cool with that.

So, Neil's official lyrics may originally have been "cannot," but Geddy has always sung "still."

BTW, this is far from the only example of sung lyrics being different from what's printed in the liner notes... Rush or otherwise.

But has anyone noticed that the meaning of the lyric changes completely? The printed one says that choosing not to decide means that no choice was made. The sung lyrics meaning that refusing to make a choice is a choice unto itself. Rather than being a mistake, it seems more intended to provoke thought. When one is confronted with a dilema, what are the implications for refusing to take a side?

Chris

QUOTE (R30Chris @ Sep 18 2007, 10:24 PM)
But has anyone noticed that the meaning of the lyric changes completely? The printed one says that choosing not to decide means that no choice was made. The sung lyrics meaning that refusing to make a choice is a choice unto itself. Rather than being a mistake, it seems more intended to provoke thought. When one is confronted with a dilema, what are the implications for refusing to take a side?

Chris

definitely, Chris. like others said, maybe Geddy changed it, or maybe Neil did, but could be they both decided the original line was too harsh a criticism and agreed on what we hear on the record.

From the Rush FAQ

77:In "Free Will" which lyrics are correct (the ones on the album sleeve or the ones Geddy sings)?

"That's a funny question. I've had a few lately from people who are so sure that what they hear is correct, that they disbelieve what I've put in the lyric sheets! Imagine! People have quoted me whole verses of what they hear, as opposed to what's printed, sure that they are right and the cover (me) is wrong. Scary stuff, these egocentric individuals. I assure you, other than perhaps dropping an "and" or a "but," we take great care to make the lyric sheets accurate." - Neil Peart, in the December 1985 Backstage Club newsletter

78:But I'm *sure* that what the lyric sheet says isn't what Geddy sings!

So what? People have argued about this far too much already. If it's really bothering you, write a letter to the band and complain. Lighten up - it's just a song!

Well, it looks as though someone took Dan's sage advice to heart. Check this E-mail that I got from Stevie Duda:

From stevie@flash.net@flash.netSat Sep 14 23:29:32 1996
  Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:43:07 -0500
  To: rush@avian.dars.muohio.edu
  Subject: Rush

>Hi Randy. I'm a newbie so I'll try not to embarrass myself. I was >reading the FAQ list. I know you don't need corrections or anything. I >however wanted to share this.

Editor's Note: I ALWAYS need correction. That's why I got this nifty collar, you see....

>I am a member of the Backstage Fan Club and saw what James in New York
  >wrote to Neil about the lyrics of Freewill.  Well, having noticed the
  >discrepancy myself, made copies of my album lyrics which were incorrect
  >according to the lyrics in two song books I had.  So I did write to Neil
  >about it.  In his letter he states, "You and James of New York are right
  >about this thing.  I don't know how it happened- the lyrics are right on
  >the Canadian sleeve- I can only imagine that our American record company
  >got hold of an uncorrected typeset.  I hate that!"

>Anyway, cuss at me for writing to you if you want to...but I hope you >won't. I can always use another Rush friend.

QUOTE (drewb93 @ Sep 18 2007, 03:00 PM)
So, I was looking at the lyric booklet to Permanent Waves, and noticed that it lists the lyrics as "If you choose not to decide/You cannot have made a choice." Now, everywhere else I look (the Anthem Board, for example) tells me that it's "If you choose not to decide/You still have made a choice." And, as I listen to the song, it definitely sounds like the latter. Is my booklet just messed up, or what?

Nope. I noticed that too. My PeW album has "cannot" also. Maybe they decided to change it when it was recorded.

But in the reprint, at least in my RUSH REMASTERS edition, it says the Different Strings lyrics were written by Neil Peart, and everybody on the board tells me Geddy Lee wrote the lyrics to that song.

The 2112 RUSH REMASTERS edition acknowledges the "genus" of Ayn Rand.

So, like, whatever happens, a lot of mistakes are bound to be made in liner notes. tongue.gif

Archived