The Official 2007/08 NHL thread

pt2112

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 27 2007, 03:31 PM)

Let me guess, you are a Sens fan?

It shouldn't have been a match, maybe a ten minute penalty. No intent to injure involved. Downie is just a hard hitter and a hard back checker. Couple that with the fact that he is trying to make the Flyer's roster, its obvious he just got too carried away. Besides, McAmmond should have had his head up.

Leaving your feet is easy to do without meaning to when you get a head of steam going into your opponent.

Are you f'n serious?

Of course there was intent. And so what if Downie is trying to make the line-up, that was one of the cheapest, dirtiest hits ever, in an exibition game no less. A skilled checker does not take a run at and blind-side a guy with the elbow like that, let alone leave the ice with both skates.

Like I said, if Bettman and sidekick Colin Campbell have balls, this little punk ass no-name minor leaguer will spend the rest of hockey playing days for the Huntsville Havoc in the SPHL.

End of rant 2 angry.gif

p.s. How do you figure I'm a Sens fan?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 27 2007, 03:31 PM)

It shouldn't have been a match, maybe a ten minute penalty. No intent to injure involved. Downie is just a hard hitter and a hard back checker. Couple that with the fact that he is trying to make the Flyer's roster, its obvious he just got too carried away. Besides, McAmmond should have had his head up.

Leaving your feet is easy to do without meaning to when you get a head of steam going into your opponent.

Are you f'n serious?

Of course there was intent. And so what if Downie is trying to make the line-up, that was one of the cheapest, dirtiest hits ever, in an exibition game no less. A skilled checker does not take a run at and blind-side a guy with the elbow like that, let alone leave the ice with both skates.

Like I said, if Bettman and sidekick Colin Campbell have balls, this little punk ass no-name minor leaguer will spend the rest of hockey playing days for the Huntsville Havoc in the SPHL.

End of rant 2 angry.gif

p.s. How do you figure I'm a Sens fan?

Because he thinks your just trying to be biased and protective of the Ottawa players. Really stupid arguement.

Ya well, I'm passionate about the game. I watch because I enjoy and appreciate the skill involved. To see this kind of crap ruins the game, not to mention perpetuate the stereotype that hockey is a goon sport full of neaderthals.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 05:02 PM)
I think that little fukker should be kicked out of the league for EVER!

What is it going to take? For someone to get killed on the ice?

F'n bullshit!!!

If Bettman has any balls and a spine he'll make an example out of this a-hole and send him to the ECHL to play out his career.

I love to see solid body checking too, even a good punch up, but there's no place in the league for that kind of dirty B.S.

McAmmond's entire season could be in jeopardy.

End of rant. angry.gif

If any dirty play results in loss of the victim's playing, the perp should be banned. Sort of an eye for an eye thing.

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 27 2007, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 04:02 PM)

F'n bullshit!!!

If Bettman has any balls and a spine he'll make an example out of this a-hole and send him to the ECHL to play out his career.

I love to see solid body checking too, even a good punch up, but there's no place in the league for that kind of dirty B.S.

End of rant. angry.gif

I don't agree with that. He left his feet with the intention of what he was doing. The match was the correct call.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2007, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 27 2007, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 04:02 PM)

F'n bullshit!!!

End of rant. angry.gif

He's cleary a Canucks fan.

And yeah, he deserves his suspension. He lifted his feet and had his elbow up, knocking McAmmond unconscious.

yes.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 07:36 PM)
Ya well, I'm passionate about the game. I watch because I enjoy and appreciate the skill involved. To see this kind of crap ruins the game, not to mention perpetuate the stereotype that hockey is a goon sport full of neaderthals.

Not true...most hockey players are smarter than most other sports people. There are quite a few that came out of Harvard, Yale, etc....Keep that in mind.

Also, the game is fast paced with emotions involved. As much as these things look horrible, think of a pitcher intentionally trying to hit a batter & ending his career by hitting him in the eye. It's not really a fair assessment.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 27 2007, 05:49 PM)

Not true...most hockey players are smarter than most other sports people. There are quite a few that came out of Harvard, Yale, etc....Keep that in mind.
Also, the game is fast paced with emotions involved. As much as these things look horrible, think of a pitcher intentionally trying to hit a batter & ending his career by hitting him in the eye. It's not really a fair assessment.

No no....

That's not what I was saying, my point was that if these kinds of incidents are allowed to continue, the game's reputation and credibilty will be further tarnished. Hockey, and especially pro hockey, has tried to project an image of being a game of skill, finesse and strategy, not fisticuffs, bench clearing brawls, cheap, dirty hits and major stick infractions. It is this stereotype that the league office has worked to eradicate from the game itself.

You don't have to tell me that most pro hockey players are not smart.

I hope it's going to be a great season of hockey, with many great highlites and fast paced games. I hope to hell that some poor bastard doesn't lose his ability to walk or breath because of some nut job who was "just trying to make the squad".

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 08:06 PM)

No no....

That's not what I was saying, my point was that if these kinds of incidents are allowed to continue, the game's reputation and credibilty will be further tarnished. Hockey, and especially pro hockey, has tried to project an image of being a game of skill, finesse and strategy, not fisticuffs, bench clearing brawls, cheap, dirty hits and major stick infractions. It is this stereotype that the league office has worked to eradicate from the game itself.

I hope it's going to be a great season of hockey, with many great highlites and fast paced games. I hope to hell that some poor bastard doesn't lose his ability to walk or breath because of some nut job who was "just trying to make the squad".

Still disagree. Hockey is a contact sport. It is part of the game. Making it too much of a finesse sport is like watching figure skaters with tennis rackets. Loses the feel of the game. Brawls, fights, and hits are something that is part of the game. Not as much fighting in these games than before & not to mention the amount of brawls that pop up in baseball games. Bud Selig really should step in & get rid of the goons playing that game.

Agreed.

The Bertuzzi sucker punch and the Mcsorley stick swing were FAR worse than this. Also, so was Gary Suter's cross check on Kariya in the 98 Olympics. What about when Pronger elbowed Mcammond in the head? That is the reason why he was hurt last year. An intentional elbow is worse than a exuberant check. How about Ryan Hollweg? He does what Downie does all the time. No one has yet to be hurt by it, but that could change. And what about what Simon did to Hollweg? That was worse than what Downie did as well.

Downie was just trying to throw a check. It looked worse than what it was because of the way mcammond fell. He got hit, and his head hit the boards. Its not like Downie grabbed his head and smashed it into the boards, its not like he two handed him in the head either. It was just an illegal hit. Besides, he didn't really elbow either. Looks like he got him in the Stevens area, which is between the elbow and the shoulder. His feet left the ground, so it should have certainly been a penalty. Just not an intent to injure.

I think people are overreacting.

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 27 2007, 09:15 PM)
Agreed.

The Bertuzzi sucker punch and the Mcsorley stick swing were FAR worse than this. Also, so was Gary Suter's cross check on Kariya in the 98 Olympics. What about when Pronger elbowed Mcammond in the head? That is the reason why he was hurt last year. An intentional elbow is worse than a exuberant check. How about Ryan Hollweg? He does what Downie does all the time. No one has yet to be hurt by it, but that could change. And what about what Simon did to Hollweg? That was worse than what Downie did as well.

Downie was just trying to throw a check. It looked worse than what it was because of the way mcammond fell. He got hit, and his head hit the boards. Its not like Downie grabbed his head and smashed it into the boards, its not like he two handed him in the head either. It was just an illegal hit. Besides, he didn't really elbow either. Looks like he got him in the Stevens area, which is between the elbow and the shoulder. His feet left the ground, so it should have certainly been a penalty. Just not an intent to injure.

He was intending on hitting him hard & I think his emotions got away with him...Suspension? Yes....How long? Not sure. Maybe 10-15 games would suffice. I've seen much dirtier hits that got away because a ref didn't see it. This was caught & it's being dealt with.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 27 2007, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 27 2007, 08:06 PM)

No no....

Still disagree. Hockey is a contact sport. It is part of the game. Making it too much of a finesse sport is like watching figure skaters with tennis rackets. Loses the feel of the game. Brawls, fights, and hits are something that is part of the game. Not as much fighting in these games than before & not to mention the amount of brawls that pop up in baseball games. Bud Selig really should step in & get rid of the goons playing that game.

yes.gif Hockey should not be looked at as a finesse sport. Contact is an integral part of the game.

Agreed.

If you watch closely, he gets the elbow up. He definitely deserves a suspension. He had the chance to take him out cleanly.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 27 2007, 09:33 PM)
Agreed.

Downie was just trying to throw a check. It looked worse than what it was because of the way mcammond fell. He got hit, and his head hit the boards. Its not like Downie grabbed his head and smashed it into the boards, its not like he two handed him in the head either. It was just an illegal hit. Besides, he didn't really elbow either. Looks like he got him in the Stevens area, which is between the elbow and the shoulder. His feet left the ground, so it should have certainly been a penalty. Just not  an intent to injure.

He was intending on hitting him hard & I think his emotions got away with him...Suspension? Yes....How long? Not sure. Maybe 10-15 games would suffice. I've seen much dirtier hits that got away because a ref didn't see it. This was caught & it's being dealt with.

yes.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2007, 10:17 PM)
Agreed.

Downie was just trying to throw a check. It looked worse than what it was because of the way mcammond fell. He got hit, and his head hit the boards. Its not like Downie grabbed his head and smashed it into the boards, its not like he two handed him in the head either. It was just an illegal hit. Besides, he didn't really elbow either. Looks like he got him in the Stevens area, which is between the elbow and the shoulder. His feet left the ground, so it should have certainly been a penalty. Just not  an intent to injure.

If you watch closely, he gets the elbow up. He definitely deserves a suspension. He had the chance to take him out cleanly.

yes.gif Elbows up & left feet....Two very BIG no-nos!

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 27 2007, 11:39 PM)
Agreed.

I agree that the hit was a bit too much but McAmmond has to do a better job of protecting himself. Yes, it's preseason but people are trying to get/keep jobs and coaches are evaluating guys on lots of levels so you are going to see some checking/hitting. If he hadn't left his feet and tweaked that elbow it wouldn't be a problem. I agree with the previous posts that this is nowhere near some of the really cheap shots discussed earlier.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 27 2007, 11:54 PM)
Agreed.

I agree that the hit was a bit too much but McAmmond has to do a better job of protecting himself. Yes, it's preseason but people are trying to get/keep jobs and coaches are evaluating guys on lots of levels so you are going to see some checking/hitting. If he hadn't left his feet and tweaked that elbow it wouldn't be a problem. I agree with the previous posts that this is nowhere near some of the really cheap shots discussed earlier.

It's not about McAmmond protecting himself; If Downie hit him cleanly and he somehow ended up unconscious, then that's McAmmond's fault.

Agreed.

Waaaaah! laugh.gif

Okay first off Downie is just a kid in the hockey world - he's had a very bad track record of violent on ice incidents in the past - and the hit on McAmmond was just terrible and was definitely intent to injure. I don't think he should or will be banned from hockey for life or anything like that but... a massive suspension is definitely in order - maybe along the lines of the 25 games Chris Simon got last season.

Anyone who doesn't see this hit as terrible either hasn't fully seen it - this includes in the context of the game when 30 seconds earlier Downie got rocked at the other end, got up and hate KILL stamped all over his face. He was racing around looking for someone to line up and send half way to the afterlife.

Anyone who doesn't see this hit as absolutely terrible - I question how much you actually know about hockey. Yes I am a Sens fan. I watched interviews with a wide array of players yesterday about the hit - including members of the Avalanche and our arch rivals the Leafs - even Blake and Sundin called the hit intent to injure, and unacceptable with Sundin going as far as saying they need to make an example of this incident - and Blake saying that Downie should never be allowed to play in the NHL again.

If other players - and on rival teams at that are so sickened by this particular hit - that should really tell you something. To think otherwise is foolish bullshit.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 28 2007, 09:47 AM)
Okay first off Downie is just a kid in the hockey world - he's had a very bad track record of violent on ice incidents in the past - and the hit on McAmmond was just terrible and was definitely intent to injure. I don't think he should or will be banned from hockey for life or anything like that but... a massive suspension is definitely in order - maybe along the lines of the 25 games Chris Simon got last season.

Anyone who doesn't see this hit as terrible either hasn't fully seen it - this includes in the context of the game when 30 seconds earlier Downie got rocked at the other end, got up and hate KILL stamped all over his face. He was racing around looking for someone to line up and send half way to the afterlife.

Anyone who doesn't see this hit as absolutely terrible - I question how much you actually know about hockey. Yes I am a Sens fan. I watched interviews with a wide array of players yesterday about the hit - including members of the Avalanche and our arch rivals the Leafs - even Blake and Sundin called the hit intent to injure, and unacceptable with Sundin going as far as saying they need to make an example of this incident - and Blake saying that Downie should never be allowed to play in the NHL again.

If other players - and on rival teams at that are so sickened by this particular hit - that should really tell you something. To think otherwise is foolish bullshit.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 28 2007, 02:21 PM)
Downie will be suspended 20 games.

Beat me to it.

I guessed 25 - I guess the league thinks it was a smidgen less out of control than the Chris Simon incident.

Hope the guy learns his lesson. He's got piles of talent and represented Canada well at the World Jrs.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 28 2007, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 28 2007, 02:21 PM)
Downie will be suspended 20 games.

Beat me to it.

I guessed 25 - I guess the league thinks it was a smidgen less out of control than the Chris Simon incident.

Hope the guy learns his lesson. He's got piles of talent and represented Canada well at the World Jrs.

trink39.gif

Yes, he did. trink39.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2007, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 27 2007, 11:54 PM)
Agreed.

It's not about McAmmond protecting himself; If Downie hit him cleanly and he somehow ended up unconscious, then that's McAmmond's fault.

Watch it again.

If Downie keeps the elbow down and stays on his feet McAmmond is still in la-la land watching little birdies spin around his head. He was skating like he thought he was in warm-ups. It doesn't excuse the hit. I'm just pointing out that he has to do a better job of staying aware.

Archived