Thousands Dead After Earthquake in Southeast Asia

Pags

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 29 2004, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 28 2004, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 28 2004, 09:02 PM)
Yeah, this really sucks. One of my dearest friends has been in Thailand since November. I got an email from him a few weeks ago but nothing since!!!!
Wrote him the day this happened but have not heard anything......worried!

Hey Launch - let me know if everything turns out ok. We just checked in with our friends - she and her family are Thai. All are ok. I'll keep good thoughts for your buddy. Rough time.

Got an email from my buddy today...He's safe!! biggrin.gif

The had planned to go to Sri Lanka last week but went to Burma instead...whew!

ohmy.gif HOLY RICE! wicked that your friend is safe! what a close call eh'?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 29 2004, 05:20 PM)
Got an email from my buddy today...He's safe!! biggrin.gif
The had planned to go to Sri Lanka last week but went to Burma instead...whew!

Good to hear that.

One small light in the darkness.

Read an article in our newspaper today: a father and his 2 kids were playing on the beach, when he noticed that the water pulled back. He didn't trust it, and took his 2 kids and began to run away, but the water came too soon, and the power of the water pulled his 9 months old baby out of his arms......

he hasn't found it yet..

These stories make me cry, this is the worst thing that could happen to a parent...

this is bullshit. now they get the message through? the reason why all these people died is because of $$$. i mean how could you not think a f*cking 9.0 would not cause serious problems? how easy is it to call up those countries' leaders and say: you got a major problem coming your way in a couple hours. EVACUATE THE BEACHES NOW. i would be pissed if i lost family over there. don't these countries have an emergency broadcast system?

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 30 2004, 01:09 PM)
this is bullshit. now they get the message through? the reason why all these people died is because of $$$. i mean how could you not think a f*cking 9.0 would not cause serious problems? how easy is it to call up those countries' leaders and say: you got a major problem coming your way in a couple hours. EVACUATE THE BEACHES NOW. i would be pissed if i lost family over there. don't these countries have an emergency broadcast system?

Yea I heard that Hawaii knew but couldn't get through to Asia or something....there wasn't enough time or something...but yea you would think that a 9.0 Earthquake would certainly do something!?!?! honestly....

QUOTE (esmeralda @ Dec 30 2004, 02:38 PM)
Read an article in our newspaper today: a father and his 2 kids were playing on the beach, when he noticed that the water pulled back. He didn't trust it, and took his 2 kids and began to run away, but the water came too soon, and the power of the water pulled his 9 months old baby out of his arms......
he hasn't found it yet..
These stories make me cry, this is the worst thing that could happen to a parent...

OHHH, that makes me so very sad.

QUOTE (furie @ Dec 31 2004, 02:01 PM)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143002,00.html

U.S. Increases Tsunami Aid to $350 Million

I donated $20 to help the people over there. If I had more I would send more. I find it sad that Japan sent more than the richest country in the world. I remember when we didn't have to borrow from the world bank for disasters, those were the days.

I figured if everyone in this country would send $20 then that would be about 20 times more than the $350,000,000 the government sent.

210 million (above the age of 18) X $20= 4,200,000,000

I believe that was bush's point of the orginal small amounts. that private donations would and usually are greater government donations.

I heard Japan just up'ed their donation to over $500 million.

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait Donate Only $10 Million in Tsunami Aid

21:21 Jan 04, '05 / 23 Tevet 5765

Kuwait, which The NY Times reported is expected to run a budget surplus this year of roughly $10 billion, has offered precisely 1/1000th of that amount, or $10 million, to aid the tsunami victims.

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia, a major promoter of "Palestinian refugee" rights all over the world, has donated $10 million to the tsunami refugees of Southeast Asia.

Kuwait, which the Times also reported today recently distributed $700 million to its citizens, has offered precisely 1/70th of that amount to aid the homeless and hungry tsunami victims - also $10 million. It originally offered $1 million, then another million, and then raised it to the current amount after a local newspaper wrote that Kuwait apparently "deserves its reputation for being cheap."

Commentator Naomi Ragen noted, "Given the fact that Indonesia is 78% Moslem, and has lost more than 100,000 people... one would think that Arab nations would now show an outpouring of support and sympathy. After all, isn't that the excuse they always use for backing the 'poor Palestinians' -- that they are fellow Moslems and their solidarity is a given? ... Makes one think, doesn't it, that perhaps all these years their concern for the plight of the Palestinian 'refugees' wasn't based on purely humanitarian grounds."

The United States has allocated $350 million to the relief efforts, with additional tens of millions in private donations.

www.israelnationalnews.com

Archived