Help!

rickyrob

...is being an ass.

I think I might have a virus. Does anyone know of any nasty viruses going around, because my comp26.gif keeps crashing out of t'internet. I cannot obtain emails through MS Outlook Express (I think the settings have been buggered with) so I have to go through Wanadoo website. T'internet also runs a lot slower at the best of times.

I did have that very nasty 'Klez' worm a few years ago. It was sending emails out to anyone on my address book at random. When I finally rid of it, it literally ate some of my .exe files. comp26.gif

sad.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif

Do you not have any virus protection installed? If not, shame on you!

There are a few virus's going around but none to terrible. Although any of them can cause problems with any number of things.

If you don't have an antivirus program I'm sure that companies like McAfee and Norton have a 'demo' thats only good for a certain time. Get it, update it and run it!

I can't send you a AV program but I could send you some 'fix programs' that will look for problems and fix them. Let me know.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 5 2004, 10:44 AM)
Do you not have any virus protection installed? If not, shame on you!
There are a few virus's going around but none to terrible. Although any of them can cause problems with any number of things.
If you don't have an antivirus program I'm sure that companies like McAfee and Norton have a 'demo' thats only good for a certain time. Get it, update it and run it!

I can't send you a AV program but I could send you some 'fix programs' that will look for problems and fix them. Let me know.

I had Norton AV with the computer. This is one of the exe files that Klez ate.

I have just realised this afternoon that I had Solo AV installed. I've just updated it from their website. It has run through my HD, but I'm not sure whether or not it found anything. Anyway, it seems a bit better now.

Thanks for that anyway... biggrin.gif

The key there is "update it." Without the current virus definitions, a newer viruses could go undetected.

RR gave me a link to a site which does free online virus scans of your computer, and I'm told they stay current with their updates. RR knows his stuff about computers, and he swears by it. But I always look at sites like this and think, "Why are they doing this for free when Norton, McAfee, etc. charge big bucks for their programs and updates? What's the catch?" I'm always cynical of such "free" services, because there are virus and spyware companies that do a "free scan" your PC for bugs, but while scanning they actually place a bug on your PC, then it says, "Look what we found! Download our software for $29.99 to eradicate this pest!" Rule of thumb: If you find out about a virus or spyware program from a pop-up ad, it's probably bogus.

What do you computer gurus think of this?

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 5 2004, 10:15 AM)

The key there is "update it." Without the current virus definitions, a newer viruses could go undetected.

RR gave me a link to a site which does free online virus scans of your computer, and I'm told they stay current with their updates. RR knows his stuff about computers, and he swears by it. But I always look at sites like this and think, "Why are they doing this for free when Norton, McAfee, etc. charge big bucks for their programs and updates? What's the catch?" I'm always cynical of such "free" services, because there are virus and spyware companies that do a "free scan" your PC for bugs, but while scanning they actually place a bug on your PC, then it says, "Look what we found! Download our software for $29.99 to eradicate this pest!" Rule of thumb: If you find out about a virus or spyware program from a pop-up ad, it's probably bogus.

thanks for the cool link....yea i'm a little iffy on those "free" sevices as well....don't trust them one bit..

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 5 2004, 09:15 AM)

This is an excellent palce for a one time scan. I've been an network/IT consultant for the lasat 10 years & now manage an IT department so I have experience with computers. I like to use 2 programs for virus scanning periodically. I run Norton installed on my pc & use this TrendMicro site once in a while for a double check. They all look for the same viruses but not in the exact same manner. So sometimes one will catch something another product might miss. It's all in how the code is written to check for the viruses signature.

It's free because it only scans when you go to the site & run it. The others charge you because you install the product & it does realtime virus scanning of your pc. Everytime you open a file, go to a website, basically any data the pc processes gets sacnned just before it actually gets used. The TerndMicro online scan only looks at what you currently have on your pc at that given moment. It will tell if you have a virus but won't keep you from getting more, the others detect & keep them off you pc.

This is a reliable free site. It is a very reputable company & doesn't install any spyware when you run the scan.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 5 2004, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 5 2004, 09:15 AM)

This is an excellent palce for a one time scan. I've been an network/IT consultant for the lasat 10 years & now manage an IT department so I have experience with computers. I like to use 2 programs for virus scanning periodically. I run Norton installed on my pc & use this TrendMicro site once in a while for a double check. They all look for the same viruses but not in the exact same manner. So sometimes one will catch something another product might miss. It's all in how the code is written to check for the viruses signature.

It's free because it only scans when you go to the site & run it. The others charge you because you install the product & it does realtime virus scanning of your pc. Everytime you open a file, go to a website, basically any data the pc processes gets sacnned just before it actually gets used. The TerndMicro online scan only looks at what you currently have on your pc at that given moment. It will tell if you have a virus but won't keep you from getting more, the others detect & keep them off you pc.

This is a reliable free site. It is a very reputable company & doesn't install any spyware when you run the scan.

That sounds good. But if and when it does find a virus, can I assume it gets rid of it for you, too?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 5 2004, 09:55 AM)
That sounds good. But if and when it does find a virus, can I assume it gets rid of it for you, too?

Yes, it cleans as well. There is an autoclean check box when you start the scan, or can wait untl it's done. Then you can individually select the infected files & clean or delete them.

Remember this only for checking if you currently have a virus.

ALWAYS run some type of realtime virus scanning software.

My computer seems to be a lot better now I've updated my AV software (I'd forgotten I'd got unsure.gif ) laugh.gif rofl3.gif ....my computer works fine now (crosses fingers quickly and touches wood).

Thanks to everyone for their input. trink39.gif

Archived