4 replies to this topic

#1 Laurabw

Laurabw

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Interests:golf, hockey, skiing, ballet, Grad School of Rock

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

Hi, so those of you know me on here, know that I play guitar and some bass and do some back-up VOX in a Grad School of Rock. We rehearse weekly and have a show every 5 months or so. After having watched video from the past two performances, I was horrified to hear myself because I was pitchy and I'm rarely pitchy at rehearsals. But of course being on stage in a loud pub with everything cranked and monitors that are far from ideal is a whole other ballgame.

So, what earplugs do any of you use to hear yourselves? At rehearsal I just stick a finger in my ear but of course I'm not going to do that on stage, lol. I don't know why I didn't think about doing this a long time ago. Duh.

Sponsored Post

#2 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

If you're having difficulty hearing yourself, you might be better served getting a cheap pair of IEMs (I assume there's bluetooth/wireless models now for relatively cheap).  Might be worth it for the school/project/band to get them for all the performers and leave that 1960s method of on stage monitoring.  The reason you're having difficulty hearing is the bane of all live performing acts since the first amplified performance in man's history.

This is where accuracy is found:

https://www.sweetwat...n-ear-monitors/

#3 Mike Check

Mike Check

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1636 posts
  • Interests:Reading, animals, Sci-Fi, music, and family

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

How do those work with still hearing the crowd? I would assume that's still desired for emotional feedback.

#4 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1254 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

View PostMike Check, on 07 November 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

How do those work with still hearing the crowd? I would assume that's still desired for emotional feedback.

They're not entirely isolating, not like headphones for travel (noise cancelling).

#5 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1667 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

If there's a possibility that you go the 'in-ear monitor' route, Jacob Moon mentioned on his Facebook page that he uses a brand of 'in-ear monitors' by a company called Plunge Audio, who're located in Calgary.

Edited by RushFanForever, 11 November 2019 - 05:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: singing, gigs, earplugs, vocalists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users