treeduck

During a June 10 question-and-answer session at Manchester, England's Dancehouse Theatre, Geddy Lee was asked if there are any songs in the RUSH back catalog that he wishes he could go back and redo. The bassist/vocalist responded: "Oh, God. Probably the longer I looked, the more I would find. It's funny what happens in time — when you finish a record… I'm a harsh judge of a record I just finished. And then you go through this period where you go, 'Oh…' You've taken a month away from it, you're out on tour and you're learning the songs and you hear it on the radio and you go, 'Oh, that was better than I thought t was.' And then time travels at quite an alarming rate, and, for me, when I look back at the very old stuff, I hear things that I couldn't possibly have heard about those songs. So when I look at the earliest records, of course, there are a few things that I would rather have redone at the time, but you can't change the past. And I tend to appreciate it more than I thought I would. There are very few I would really go back and change again, because I don't think that's the way it works."
  • Like 2

I realize that answering spur of the moment questions is hard, but did he just talk himself into contradicting himself? "The more I look, the more I would find" eventually becomes "no, I don't think so." I get that he explained why; it's just interesting reading it because you can practically hear him moving away from where he started.

He's gotta be right, though -- as artists' careers get longer, they'd have so many things to redo, it would drive them crazy if they thought much about it. A certain level of professional forgetfulness is probably a must. Like for athletes after a bad loss . . .

I realize that answering spur of the moment questions is hard, but did he just talk himself into contradicting himself? "The more I look, the more I would find" eventually becomes "no, I don't think so." I get that he explained why; it's just interesting reading it because you can practically hear him moving away from where he started.

He's gotta be right, though -- as artists' careers get longer, they'd have so many things to redo, it would drive them crazy if they thought much about it. A certain level of professional forgetfulness is probably a must. Like for athletes after a bad loss . . .

When a band does a rerecording of their own stuff it's almost always worse.

Vader did an album like this a few years ago and that was really good.