Feeling a Little Nostalgic About Tonight

blending strings

Well, as this tour draws to a close tonight, I'm feeling a little nostalgic, maybe sad, that this looks to be the end of the "tours of this magnitude." Having seen them at least once on every tour since the Partial Tour of the Hemisphere in 1979 at Chicago's old Comsikey Park at Jam II, feeling like this perhaps marks the end of a whole time period in my life where I looked forward to the new albums - the album cover, the music, the lyrics, the upcoming concerts and the excitement of getting tickets, what the concert t shirts and tour booklets we're going to be like, what the show was going to be like, the apprehension of the lights going down in the concert hall right before the start, hearing a song I never expected to hear... all of it. Kinda sad that it is ending at least of "this magnitude." Yes, probably new albums to look forward to and yes, probably the week of dates in NYC or something like it (which ofcourse I will love!), but still won't be the same. All of this is ok ofcourse, as all things do need to end... and perhaps, new doors in other areas of life open... but still... just feeling a little sad. I think I will go through all of the stuff I've collected through the years, listen to some of the albums today, and look forward to reading the commentaries regarding tonight's show, and watch the YouTube video of Losing It, if they play it tonight - all stuff to look forward to... But nevertheless... just feeling a little sad and nostalgic. Great band, great band members, great music, and big part of a part of my life.

I'm right there with you. They've been "my" band for 35 years. I've been all over the place to see them in recent years and it's been a wonderful run. I agree that this is a sort of pivot point, and I too think (unlike some others) that there is a lot of potential for at least limited future outings. I imagine that as a performer you draw enormous amounts of positive energy from audiences, and if you've been enjoying that for decades it's probably not very appealing to just suddenly walk away from it all. Perhaps the Gilmour model is indeed a glimpse of what lies ahead. But right, even if it's not the very end, it does feel transitory... and it's tough. Still, I feel very lucky to have had them for so long. And I'm sure there's new music coming our way---and that's extremely important to me. So begins a new phase, with I think plenty to look forward to, from the best band in the world! Edited by sun dog

I'm only 48, but my era is slipping away a little at a time, faster it seems, every year. Another little bit gone. Always seems odd to me that something as ultimately unimportant as a rock band could have this big a part of my life. Rush feels like an extension of me, family. As ridiculous as that is, it is. Their retirement will leave a void for sure. Got to share them with my kids this last tour. Can't ask for more. Edited by Pound of Obscure