The Official Dixie Dregs/The Dregs/Steve Morse Band Thread! Eat A "Punk Sandwich" And Shut The FUNK Up!

RUSHHEAD666

All of Morse's DP albums are good except for Bananas. Purpendicular is the best one.

Kansas sucks, but he did the best he could with those fools.

Stressfest is my favorite of the Morse Band records. It's probably the most melodic one overall.

Dave LaRue really is an amazing bass player. His playing complements Steve's extremely well.

Dude! This is one of your best posts! I TOTALLY AGREE 100%!!

"Stressfest" is EPIC. Do you have the Japanese version with the bonus track? I believe it's a Deep Purple cover.

Speed King! I don't have that version, but that track is great. :haz:

That's it my friend! IT'S AWESOME!!!

I LOVE STRESSFEST!!! Great call!

• Like 1

I love the Dregs, Steve and Rod too. Rod is in my top 5 as well. Listen to how beautifully he plays during the solo in The Introduction. So musical.

I have seen the Steve Morse band once and they were great - they had Van Romaine on drums. Had to wait until Winger a few years ago to see Rod. They were (to me) surprisingly good - excellent actually.

Hey! You are a new guy here and you are a drummer too! AWESOME! Welcome to the Rush Forum! Glad that you get my sense of humor.

I actually love Winger. Reb Beach, Kip Winger and Rod! WOW!

I can't wait to visit your country someday!

I love Olivia Newton John, AC/DC, Men At Work, INXS and AIRBOURNE!

Cheers!!

Earl

Hey man, come on down! Not too much in the way of prog and rock going on down here though! Airbourne are way bigger O/S than here. If you have a minute, check out Scary Mother, one of our very best heavy bands who sadly got nowhere. 'Who Are You' was a classic. Also Horsehead, 'Oil And Water'.

Reb Beach was so outstanding, and Kip is quite the muso as well.

FWIW, my top 5 drummers would be:

Phil Collins

Ian Paice

Pick Withers

Jeff Porcaro

Neil Peart

I'm coming to your part of the word to Rush at The Forum. Can't wait!

Holy shit man! Thanks! I love your list. I'm embarrassed to tell you that Pick Withers does not register? WTF? Tell me about him!

I too will be at The Forum! I can't wait!!! Let's meet up for a beer!

I will check out those other bands! It's frigging endless!

Cheers my new friend!

Pick Withers played on the first four Dire Straits records. Very tasty. His drums sounded brilliant and his cymbal work is perfect.

Rush fan since 1984 and I've never seen them - needless to say, I'm looking forward to a great night out!

Holy Shit! I am a music freak and I had no idea he was the drummer on the first four Dire Straits albums! I LOVE HIM!

STG! I am serious when I type this. "Love Over Gold" is one of the greatest album ever made on the earth!

CHEERS!

Damn straight! And Pick is one of the reasons. Private Investigations would have to one of the most 'interesting' songs to ever make the top 5.

I love Steve Morse in Purple too. He really gave them a huge lift when he joined.

Damn my friend! We have a lot in common.

Pick Rules.

The Morse Purple stuff is great.

I think Steve saved Deep Purple.

Didn't Joe Satriani tour with Purple?

Satriani stepped in when Richie 'stepped out', but he wasn't there long.

I saw Purple on the Abandon tour in 99 (?) and beforehand me and my mate were playing 'hard rock supergroups' - you know, putting together imaginary supergroups - and neither of us even considered Morse, but afterwards the first thing we both said was 'I want Morse in my band!' I've seen Purple three more times since then and he was a towering figure each time. 'Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming' - what a track.

• Like 1

Damn my friend! We have a lot in common.

Pick Rules.

The Morse Purple stuff is great.

I think Steve saved Deep Purple.

Didn't Joe Satriani tour with Purple?

Satriani stepped in when Richie 'stepped out', but he wasn't there long.

I saw Purple on the Abandon tour in 99 (?) and beforehand me and my mate were playing 'hard rock supergroups' - you know, putting together imaginary supergroups - and neither of us even considered Morse, but afterwards the first thing we both said was 'I want Morse in my band!' I've seen Purple three more times since then and he was a towering figure each time. 'Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming' - what a track.

That's awesome dude and yes I think Steve Morse deserves to be in a supergroup.

Sadly the Dixie Dregs and then The Dregs never made it huge. Everyone in the band could indeed formulate an actual supergroup. JMO

I remember buying the first album simply on the basis it was produced by Steve Howe. :D

It's a blinding album. Judging by the cover I thought it would turn out to be "Southern Rock" .

Instead it's Jazz rock fusion at it's best with incredible virtuosity displayed throughout.

I've got a copy of their Live at Montreux DVD. Recorded in '78, it's a belter.