Car People: What do you think?

FountainOfSyrinx

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=summary&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=600709323&paId=&listingRecNum=5&criteria=feedSegId%3d28705%26rpp%3d50%26isDealerGrouping%3dfalse%26sf2Nm%3dmiles%26requestorTrackingInfo%3dRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3dprice%26sf2Dir%3dASC%26stkTypId%3d28881%26PMmt%3d1-1-0%26rn%3d0%26zc%3d76118%26rd%3d30%26crSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26mdId%3d21446%26stkTyp%3dU%26mkId%3d20073%26prMn%3d0%26sf1Dir%3dDESC%26prMx%3d10000&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&

Christ, that's a long link.

Anyways, I'm going to get a new car next week. I really like the Mazda3's, and feel like it'd be perfect to last me through college and then some. They get really solid mileage, and they look really slick.

I came across this one last night, and aside from the headlight fire, I feel like it's fairly solid.

My concern is that there's something severely wrong with it. Would y'all (car people) even consider looking into this? Or should I find something that doesn't seem as sketchy.

Thanks, folks!

I am afraid the rebuilt title and the "minor" fire issue would scare me off. Thats just me....
  • Like 1

I am afraid the rebuilt title and the "minor" fire issue would scare me off. Thats just me....

So that's really something to avoid? Would taking it to our mechanic help at all?

So that's really something to avoid? Would taking it to our mechanic help at all?

I am no car expert but taking a used car to a mechanic is always preferable prior to buying. At 41,000 miles the engine in theory is barely broken in so that is good. I would still want a pro to go through it due to its status. Also I would check with my DMV regarding the rebuilt title to make sure that doesn't cause you any problems now or later... Edited by Narpski

I am no car expert but taking a used car to a mechanic is always preferable prior to buying. At 41,000 miles the engine in theory is barely broken in so that is good. I would still want a pro to go through it due to its status. Also I would check with my DMV regarding the rebuilt title to make sure that doesn't cause you any problems now or later...

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

It's only two years old and pretty darn cheap, obviously because of the fire issue. Maybe it's something kind of like hail damage, where the price is driven down because of what happened, and the actual car is fine. I'll look a little more into it. It's hard to get information of the car without paying for a Carfax. But if it's something I want to pursue, it needs to be done.

We've got a deal to sell my 2003 Suburban for $6,000. It's a great car, but it isn't fuel efficient and isn't practical for me living off-campus next year and ten hours from home. Something around 25 MPG would be perfect. If we could get the deal for $8500 or something like that, hopefully we could get a good warranty and keep the overall cost around $10,000 - or only $4,000 out of pocket (based on what we've got now).

If its got a salvage title, its resale value will be low, and it will be more expensive to insure. Basically what that means is that the car was in some accident that it was "totaled". Now as far as how the car functions itself, it might be fine. New laws are such that if a car has an accident where the repair cost + the value of the salvage (car as is post accident) exceed the value pre accident, by law an insurance company will have to total it. THis is kind of bull, because many cars are deemed a total loss, when in reality they just need a lot of body work.

If you can get the details on the loss, and there are no huge problems, it may be worth getting, but just know whenever you want to sell it, salvage title decreases value, and it makes things tricky with insurance

Good points already raised here. Have a good mechanic look it over. Use the fire to you advantage to get at great price. If you are worried about possible problems later, then keep looking. There are lots of cars out there.

I will say this, electrical problems are some of the most challenging to solve.

Also, PM Ridertoo98. He is a mechanic by trade, and a very cool guy. Get his opinion.

And have you looked at Chevy Sonics? I have a 2012, and I love it. I get over 30 mpg around town and 40 mpg on the highway with the 1.4 turbo. It's a great little car that is fun to drive.

I don't think the price is right based on the issues. Kbb lists it for around 12k for that model with that mileage in fair condition. I would not describe that as fair condition. I think it is priced at least 2k too high IMO.

Edit: I entered in info directly to kbb from my zip code before noticing link in listing from different zip code with 3k difference in value under fair price. I still feel like 7-8k is the right price for something like this max.

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 1

Run like the wind!! I wound not take the chance on it esp with the title is has. Good points have been made, the Mazda3 is a good car ,but not feeling this one is. Why did the lights, lite off...:-) ?I would say pass.. sorry but got to look a little farther down the road, after another40k this thing might "lite off" again...

I think I need an eye test. I misread the thread title again.........

:ph34r:

You thought it said Cat People?... :D :wub:

We've pretty much decided to pass. I like the Mazdas a lot, but it's too much of a risk. Edited by FountainOfSyrinx