Heard "Freewill" on the radio last night

GeminiRising79

What is this "rad - i - oh" of which you speak?

Excellent question. I have them in my older motor cars, or "Auto-Vagens" if you will. It is essentially a wireless radio telegraphic device which ingeniously allows the motor car to receive audio telegraphic -- or "audiographic" if you will -- signals without having to drag around an extremely long electrical signal-conducting wire. Mine have usually been located in the center of the dashboard, though some are moved lower, above and to the right of the velocilator and deceleratrix, in order to make room for the holding device for the consuming of beverages, such as Mint Julips, your favorite cocktail, or Sarsaparillas or Shirley Temples if you're alcohol intolerant.

Edited by Rutlefan

If you were a real Rush fan you would just play the song on disc, vinyl, or iTunes whenever the spirit moves you.

I can relate to what GR'79 was saying. I have a truck that only has radio and once in a while I catch Spirit or Freewill or Fly By Night and it seems like Rush just stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the pack of songs you hear on the radio. I heard Freewill a few months ago on the radio and I was rockin' out during the solo so hard that I should've been pulled over for disturbing the peace.

edit: I noticed after my post that I'm not sure if this was a thread about hearing Rush on the radio or how much Old Rush is better than New Rush.

The cool thing about hearing something on the radio as opposed to dialing it up on your iPad (Pod/Screen/gizmo?) is that it is a communal experience; you know that there are other people like you out there getting into the song as well.

My 70-some year old dad has probably seen the '50s-produced documentary series Victory at Sea a hundred times. He owned it on VHS and now he owns it on DVD. Yet, whenever it comes on TV (usually shown by PBS over several nights), he and an old friend get together and watch it together. They could watch it any time, but that fact that they are watching it with an extended audience changes their appreciation.

I think it's the same thing when you happen across a cool old movie on tv, or hear a classic tune on the radio. You might have had no inclination to watch or listen to that a moment before, but all of a sudden your into it, knowing that you're sharing in the experience. :ebert:

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I don't think it"s sad, I totally get it. Geddy Lee commented that they have become better songwriters as the years have gone by....THAT I don't get.

I just think it's sad that this guy sits here and whines about how bad they've been for so long now instead of listening to something else.

You'd think that after hating everything that Rush has made since 1987, Mr. Rising would realize that they are no longer interested in making the type of music that he likes and that he should probably move on with his life.

I'll make that decision when the next album's released.

Out of curiosity, which Rush albums do you actually like? I know that Permanent Waves makes your cut.

Oh, and what other music do you enjoy?

Also, I'm sorry for always jumping down your throat on all of your posts.

That's ok, thanks.

I like everything up to up to and including Power Windows, and a few things here and there on the following two albums. Many types of music from electronic, to soul/r&b, disco, and generally music from 60's thru 80's. No country or jazz tho! :)

Cool stuff man. I've always found jazz interesting, but I've never "connected" with it, you know? I hear you on the country though!

The only thing that has me puzzled though is that you seem to have this real issue with Rush. I mean, the argument could be made that they've gone down the wrong path since the 80's, but it seems to me that their "turn" happened so long ago that expecting them to just go back to the way they used to be is beyond unrealistic.

I'm not saying that they need to replicate the old stuff, but to bring their music out of the muck and refine and recreate the instrumental clarity they had. It seems that Rush began their descent after Terry was removed from the equation. I felt that P/G was a great album, and to a lesser degree, Power Windows, and then things logarithmetically declined (imo). I interpret this trailing, successive phenomena as Terry's residual influence (Terry-over, if u will). Who knows, perhaps it was just Rush's time to decline when he left. It seems to me they initially started running low on resources during Power Windows.

I agree with points of this. The production on Clockwork Angels sounds like trash. Another thing that bugs me about it is the lack of definition in Alex's playing on all but a few of the songs (Caravan, The Anarchist, Carnies, Halo Effect, and The Garden being exceptions). So often he's playing open chords on an electric guitar with full distortion and it sounds kind of terrible. Personally I also think that they should hire different producers and engineers. Maybe not necessarily Terry Brown, although I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. I think it would be better to get somebody a bit more current. Maybe Steven Wilson. Right now, Nick R is not cutting it sonically.

That being said, I don't really mind. After all it's just a band, and there are plenty of others to listen to. I can honestly say that I can derive enjoyment out of all of Rush's albums, even the ones I don't like as much. That's why they are my favorite band.

So Power Windows was the last good album as far as you are concerned? Ok, well lets do the math here. Rush released their first album in 1974. The last good Rush album came out in 1985. So, you've spent 29 years, almost three quarters of the band's career, disliking every new album that comes out.

Why don't you just accept that Rush was a band that you used to like years ago when they were first starting out?

EDIT: I happen to think that Power Windows is creatively, technically and production-wise a high point in Rush's catalog. To me, it's a culmination of everything that Rush was building towards starting with Signals.

Edited by Dscrapre

I don't think it"s sad, I totally get it. Geddy Lee commented that they have become better songwriters as the years have gone by....THAT I don't get.

I just think it's sad that this guy sits here and whines about how bad they've been for so long now instead of listening to something else.

You'd think that after hating everything that Rush has made since 1987, Mr. Rising would realize that they are no longer interested in making the type of music that he likes and that he should probably move on with his life.

Out of curiosity, which Rush albums do you actually like? I know that Permanent Waves makes your cut.

That's ok, thanks.

I like everything up to up to and including Power Windows, and a few things here and there on the following two albums. Many types of music from electronic, to soul/r&b, disco, and generally music from 60's thru 80's. No country or jazz tho! :)

Cool stuff man. I've always found jazz interesting, but I've never "connected" with it, you know? I hear you on the country though!

The only thing that has me puzzled though is that you seem to have this real issue with Rush. I mean, the argument could be made that they've gone down the wrong path since the 80's, but it seems to me that their "turn" happened so long ago that expecting them to just go back to the way they used to be is beyond unrealistic.

I'm not saying that they need to replicate the old stuff, but to bring their music out of the muck and refine and recreate the instrumental clarity they had. It seems that Rush began their descent after Terry was removed from the equation. I felt that P/G was a great album, and to a lesser degree, Power Windows, and then things logarithmetically declined (imo). I interpret this trailing, successive phenomena as Terry's residual influence (Terry-over, if u will). Who knows, perhaps it was just Rush's time to decline when he left. It seems to me they initially started running low on resources during Power Windows.

I agree with points of this. The production on Clockwork Angels sounds like trash. Another thing that bugs me about it is the lack of definition in Alex's playing on all but a few of the songs (Caravan, The Anarchist, Carnies, Halo Effect, and The Garden being exceptions). So often he's playing open chords on an electric guitar with full distortion and it sounds kind of terrible. Personally I also think that they should hire different producers and engineers. Maybe not necessarily Terry Brown, although I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. I think it would be better to get somebody a bit more current. Maybe Steven Wilson. Right now, Nick R is not cutting it sonically.

That being said, I don't really mind. After all it's just a band, and there are plenty of others to listen to. I can honestly say that I can derive enjoyment out of all of Rush's albums, even the ones I don't like as much. That's why they are my favorite band.

So Power Windows was the last good album as far as you are concerned? Ok, well lets do the math here. Rush released their first album in 1974. The last good Rush album came out in 1985. So, you've spent 29 years, almost three quarters of the band's career, disliking every new album that comes out.

Why don't you just accept that Rush was a band that you used to like years ago when they were first starting out?

EDIT: I happen to think that Power Windows is creatively, technically and production-wise a high point in Rush's catalog. To me, it's a culmination of everything that Rush was building towards starting with Signals.

Power Windows was when Ged first started with the mind-numbing "Whoa-ooooh's"!

Its hard to say that every album after Power WIndows was completely decline-phase material since there were real gems littered in each one, up to '97 (save for Counterparts). Anything after the hiatus period is thoroughly unlistenable, imo. Counterparts was really the first Rush album that I felt was a tremendous misdirection.

Edited by GeminiRising79

I'm fortunate enough to enjoy every one of their albums. Some immensely more so than others. However, let's be honest, listen to the solo section of "Freewill" or the post-solo section of "Red Barchetta" and ask yourself how many of those moments can one band really be capable of? Rush has given us dozens. Let's be thankful. Not everything can be on par with PeW or Hemispheres. Some of it is better than the rest. Isn't that just inevitable?

That's ok, thanks.

Power Windows was when Ged first started with the mind-numbing "Whoa-ooooh's"!

Its hard to say that every album after Power WIndows was completely decline-phase material since there were real gems littered in each one, up to '97 (save for Counterparts). Anything after the hiatus period is thoroughly unlistenable, imo. Counterparts was really the first Rush album that I felt was a tremendous misdirection.

Well, even so, that's a really long time to spend not liking a band's material. I mean, you say that they haven't put out anything decent in 14 years, yet here you are on this site. Don't you think that complaining about music that you don't like is kind of a waste of your time? No matter how much you post about it, the band will never read it and they even if they did, they wouldn't care. Wouldn't you rather just listen to music that you actually enjoy instead?

• Like 1

Totally agree with Gemini on production, and it didnt get better than Permanent Waves. Its been just terrible the last few albums, rendering them (for this fan) unlistenable. Much of the recent material hasnt held up for me either, but thats another topic. As for post-87, Counterparts is a bright spot, production-wise.
  • Like 1

What a colossal breath of fresh air it is to hear this musical style from Rush, in gross contrast to what's been produced over the past 14 years. The absolute clarity of music, distinct separation of instruments (like separate entities) combined with the grandiose brightness and positivity is so profoundly uplifting... Akin to a supernaturally strong, searing beam of light cast out of a thunderhead after a storm. I pine so badly for a return to this style..

Tough titties ;)

Edited by RushAreAwesome

Totally agree with Gemini on production, and it didnt get better than Permanent Waves. Its been just terrible the last few albums, rendering them (for this fan) unlistenable. Much of the recent material hasnt held up for me either, but thats another topic. As for post-87, Counterparts is a bright spot, production-wise.

I agree on the production aspect of things, although I think that Snakes and Arrows sounds fine. It's loud, but clear. Clockwork Angels is just ridiculously muddy. I don't have to even say anything about Vapor Trails (although I do love that album)

I agree on the production aspect of things, although I think that Snakes and Arrows sounds fine. It's loud, but clear. Clockwork Angels is just ridiculously muddy. I don't have to even say anything about Vapor Trails (although I do love that album)

You *can* hear the acoustic layering on S+A for sure