FANCAR: a NASCAR fan's kickstarter idea.

KenJennings

I know a number of serious NASCAR fans who are more in line with a 'classic' NASCAR vibe, than the absurd vision for NASCAR that Brian France has pursued.

The worst offense against the classic NASCAR mentality is "the Chase for the cup", the 'postseason' resets a full season's worth of development with ten races to go, and eliminates drives outside of the top-12. This system is being expanded this year, where there are a number of resets. The entire season, for many drivers, will come down to the result of one or two races. This is not conducive with the NASCAR that I grew up loving.

So my proposal: a kickstarter campaign. The fans of NASCAR can't change the way that Brian France decides to award the NASCAR championship, but we can reward our own championship. That's where FANCAR comes in. FANCAR stands for Fan Acknowledged Nation Champion Auto Racer. This can be awarded to the driver who accumulates the most points over the full season, rather than just through the elimination events.

It probably wouldn't raise enough money to pay out cash, and it would be little more than a mark of pride for the drivers, but if it could raise enough money to buy a nice trophy, a uniform patch, and maybe a few car decals; someone might take notice.

Thoughts?