Vapor Trails - a vocal Tour de Force

eshine

Another remix thread you ask?

Yep - and a we love Geddys voice thread to boot ;)

I’ve always felt Vapor Trails contained some of Ged’s strongest vocal work, and this new remix really shines a light on just how good he sounds.

RTB and Counterparts are good vocally, but rather forgettable. He had begun to rest on his laurels I think. Vapor Trails finds him taking chances and challenging himself with a slew of different vocal styles, lush harmonies and emotional, aggressive singing that hadn’t been present on a Rush album for quite some time. The results, while not perfect, are some of his most interesting vocals.

I think much of this has to do with lessons learned during the recording of My Favorite Headache, where he plays with different styles (like falsetto). His voice really shines on that recording as well.

Of course the years of not touring didn’t hurt – but aside from shear power, there is an emotional element to his vocal that is really striking on Vapor Trails. The pre-chorus harmonies in Earthshine, for example, stand as one of Geds finest moments as a vocalist and arranger.

I think it’s especially cool that Dave Botrill didn’t listen to the originals much - he clearly honed in on the strength of Geddy’s vocals in these remixes. They are a showcase.

Edited by eshine
  • Like 4

I agree with almost anything. ONly thing, I wouldn't stress too much the "Botrill didn't listen to the original" angle. We're talking about a pro, here. A fan might listen to something for one million times and discover something new every time. A pro takes some listens and knows what's he gonna do.
  • Like 1

YES YES YES to this! :yes: :D I'm a huge fan of Geddy's modern singing style, and I think this is where it was born.

The vocals are another reason that Vapour Trails never seemed like a very emotional album to me until I heard the remix. Because they were muddy and buried, the vocals on the original generally sounded pretty workmanlike to me, competently sung but not infused with much real feeling. Boy, was THAT impression wrong! Now that I can hear the vocals properly, as befits the album they are truly the sound of a man's heart and soul telling a five-year story of pain and loss and rebirth. Those wails of "Ohhhhhhhhh SalVAAAAAAtion!" in Sweet Miracle used to sound like noise but now they're just... :o :drool: *Swoon!* :wub:

• Like 2