The Battle of Chickamauga

PumpkinHead

Today marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Chickamauga.

This Civil War battle was fought on September 19-20, 1863.

The battlefield is located near the town of Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.

The outcome was a Confederate Army victory.

Enjoy my YouTube video,

Bill

• Like 2

Another well done battlefield video overview... :goodone:

It's astonishing how pivotal the year 1863 was and the immense important battles that took place. Chickamauga often get's over looked and not as well known as the Vicksburg campaign or even Chancellorsville of course Gettysburg. I might be wrong about this, but was thinking Chickamauga is the oldest established Civil War battlefield park? I was there in the early 90's would love to return, I have taken a break from my Civil War studies, my last was The John Hunt Morgan raid of Indiana & Ohio which i always had particular fascination for and visited numerous skirmish sites in southern Ohio this last July early August.

• Like 2

Thank You.....

Chickamauga National Military Park is the oldest Civil War park in the USA.

I had a friend asked me, "Why are there so many monuments at Gettysburg and Chickamauga?"

Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Shiloh and Vicksburg were constructed while their veterans were still alive.

Naturally these veterans wanted to place a monument dedicated to their unit and fallen comrades in the location where they fought on a battlefield.

• Like 1

Another well done battlefield video overview... :goodone:

It's astonishing how pivotal the year 1863 was and the immense important battles that took place

Aye,.

It might accurately be said that 1863 was the truly decisive year of the war, After 1863, the Confederacy was merely trying to desperately stave off defeat in a losing cause, having already spent its best efforts to win the war.

The so-callled "Pickett's charge" on the 3rd day of Gettysburg in 1863 is known as "the high water mark of the Confederacy" for good reason.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

DPR,

I concur with your assessment of the Civil War of 1863.

If the Confederates lost the Battle of Chickamauga, would the Civil War have ended?

The Confederates won this battle but it also sealed their fate spilling into 1864.

1864 was a bloodbath for the Confederacy.....

* Atlanta

* Franklin

* Nashville

• Like 1

Yes indeed, John Bell Hood and destruction the army of Tennessee doomed the Confederacy.. President Davis should not of removed Joseph Johnston from command. Even Sherman was relieved about the change to the overly aggressive Hood. Edited by softfilter