Mac OS software to record music

Spindrift82

Okay, I am making the switch to Mac from Windows, just ordered a brand new Macbook Pro from Apple. I am completely a newbie to Apple computers, although I've played around with them once or twice at college.

I don't want a lecture on how Windows is better, or anything like that. I still plan to use Windows. But what are some good Mac OSX programs that can record music? I know Pro Tools is a good one for either Windows or Mac, but I don't want to throw $800 at something like that. What are some cheaper alternatives?

And yes, I know GarageBand comes with it. Looking forward to that. But what else?

I plan on building my own studio down the road, so I will definitely do mixing.

Thanks for the recommendation on Logic Pro. I'll look into it. Right now, I'm kind of spent, because I threw everything at this Macbook, but I'm hoping to get some more money soon.

I plan on building my own studio down the road, so I will definitely do mixing.

Thanks for the recommendation on Logic Pro. I'll look into it. Right now, I'm kind of spent, because I threw everything at this Macbook, but I'm hoping to get some more money soon.

It's not a right here right now purchase. Just saying look into it

Is it me or is Logic Pro not more of a scaled-down DAW? If the goal down the line is a home studio I think Pro Tools or Cubase is the way to go (Pro Tools kept crashing on my MacBook Pro). You can start with the lighter versions, and update them as you go.

Most important I would say, is not to skimp on quality hardware :)

Well Mac OS comes with Garage Band which is extremely basic and it's cheap. Logic X was just released and at $199 it's hard to pass up with everything you get. ProTools is not cheap but is the most comprehensive but the only hitch there is growing pains with plugins right now because of the new version. This will eventually even out. As an audio professional myself I am mostly a ProTools guy but use Logic and Reason (now a DAW too) a lot as well as Cubase occasionally. A lot of guys like Reaper which is a lot like Performer but a little more fluid as well as cheaper and a little more customizable.

One good reason to get a DAW is compatibility with the guys you play/record with. The main ones I see are ProTools, Logic and Cubase. You really can't go wrong with any of these. Also you can find classes on these 3 at some junior colleges. Some others as well like Ableton and Reason. But I see those as supplemental personally. I know people who use Audition or Cakewalk and some others but ProTools, Logic and Cubase are kind of the long standing leaders of the DAW world.

Personally for myself, I prefer Logic Pro because of its professional design similar to the control room of a studio but uses plugins and a great 24 track mixer setup similar to a Trident Series 65 Mixing Console. It was different for me to input numbers instead of rotating knobs and pressing buttons. Welcome to the new technological world of society. :unsure:

Personally for myself, I prefer Logic Pro because of its professional design similar to the control room of a studio but uses plugins and a great 24 track mixer setup similar to a Trident Series 65 Mixing Console. It was different for me to input numbers instead of rotating knobs and pressing buttons. Welcome to the new technological world of society. :unsure:

You can get a surface controller that allows you to rotate knobs, press buttons, and push sliders. You can set it up to control any parameter, i.e. volume, expression, plug-in parameters, attack, decay, whatever you want. I use one and also have an Ipad I use to control various other things while recording/mixing. My midi keyboard also has lots of sliders and knobs I can midi-learn and assign whatever I want to any particular button, knob, or slider.

But, your point is true. It is a whole other world and there is tons to learn. I'm still learning new stuff every day.

When I took my course back in 1984 we had to learn with real mixing and other equipment and using a Trident Series 65 with a Studer A-800 was the norm. Now it's all about audio software with waveforms and plugins. Kinda a switch from the old analog days though. It is easy in some ways but harder in others in my opinion. Would have loved to had the chance to mix with a Neve VR or a SSL. They look pretty cool and have the onboard computer mounted internally. Also the news is what I hear is the less EQ the better. :unsure:

All of those have plugin emulations now! :) Try Slate Digital VCC for summing, Waves Studio Classics (SSL, Neve and API models-also sold separately) and SofTube has a nice Trident model. You can use these with any DAW. Judging by your background ProTools or Reaper may be the best for you. Slate and Waves also have very nice Tape machine models. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2