Best Quality Discs?

mrvander

First time here. I came here looking for some advice from any audiophiles.

Coming up on year 42 on this rock and I'm finally getting around to replacing my Rush collection that has seen its better days. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best quality discs these days? I have bought all three Sector box sets and frankly, these remasters blow my old "red stripe" Mercury CD's out of the water. However, my quandary is now I have duplicate "remasters" - namely, I have 2112 and Moving Pictures in the 1997 remasters (had to replace a couple of discs previously), the deluxe DVD sets and now the sector box sets. I also have the '97 remaster of Hemispheres and now in Sector 2 as well.

I rip my music to FLAC for home network use and MP3 for portable needs as I hardly use physical media anymore so I'm wondering which ones to use as my digital "master" disc? Put aside the 5.1 discs as I treat those as a separate "treat" - which CD do I rip for my everyday listening? '97, Sector, or Deluxe?

As this is all for the Mercury years, a related question is I don't think there's any option out there for the Atlantic years is there? My Presto, RTB and Counterparts discs have also seen better days. The newer albums are well... newer so they're all in relatively good shape as I started my digital days pretty much with T4E way back with a Creative Labs MP3 thingy (before iPods!) so I'm not too concerend about replacing those yet (except for VT if they ever announce a remaster of that one, I'm there.)

Welcome to TRF, I know you'll love it here.

To the question at hand...

The Japanese SHM versions are my favourites, followed by MFSL/Audio Fidelity.

Of course, I am old school and love the sound of Rush on vinyl.

(Clockwork Angels just sounds incredible).

There has been much debate regarding the Sector releases.

I happen to like the sound of them, but have read some criticism of them here.

(At least I didn't say 8-Track tape, right?)

• Like 1

Thanks. I suppose I should qualify the question so as not to start any wars based on pure subjectivity. I already own Sectors and they sound immensely better than my beat-up, scratched-up, so-quiet-can-barely-play CD's from the late 80's/early 90's.

I suppose the crux of my question is which sounds better from the perspective of Sectors, '97 remaster or the latest Deluxe (for 2112 & MP) discs? Sure, still subjective opinion, but I'd appreciate knowing what others here have thought before I go and rip each one and do a side-by-side in Pro Tools (who has time for that? maybe next winter.)

Also, after searching the forums a bit, I found the 2004 Atlantic remasters do exist (sans VT), they are on Amazon and the consensus is they are "clearer" but not necessarily "better". Yet again, probably better for me since they're replacing beat-up, scratched-up, well worn discs of ages past.

Welcome to TRF, I know you'll love it here.

To the question at hand...

The Japanese SHM versions are my favourites, followed by MFSL/Audio Fidelity.

Of course, I am old school and love the sound of Rush on vinyl.

(Clockwork Angels just sounds incredible).

There has been much debate regarding the Sector releases.

I happen to like the sound of them, but have read some criticism of them here.

(At least I didn't say 8-Track tape, right?)

ditto!! In my book vinyl still rules! and I love the MFSL versions. IMHO

Vinyl will always be best because it isn't constrained with memory limit like CDs are. Vinyls, not exaggerating, have every bit of what the studio actually records and plays what the band originally intended for it to sound like.
  • Like 1

Vinyl will always be best because it isn't constrained with memory limit like CDs are. Vinyls, not exaggerating, have every bit of what the studio actually records and plays what the band originally intended for it to sound like.

Well said.

If people had heard the original recordings, CD's and music files would be a disappointment.

I know when I listened to my first CD I wondered what happened to many little parts and sounds we took for granted.

To hear the difference, you had to hear the real recording, to compare. In my case I heard the real recordings all my early life as nothing else existed.

Bah. Vinyl is one of those personal opinion things but I don't buy into it. Those who "like it" like the "experience" and actually prefer what they perceive is a "warmer" sound due to the noise inherent with the older technology. It's a self-fulfilling thing: you like the idea due to a preconcieved notion from either "buying" into the idea or from "sweet memories" (see what I did there? :) ) therefore you think it sounds "better" even in the face of objective facts. That's all fine and well, there's no disputing one may LIKE vinyl recording better. I for one, like the clarity to hear the actual notes and recording as the band/producer intended without the added noise. In fact, I only add a bit of EQ to offset the characteristics of each system/speaker combo I use (Galaxy S3 earbuds, Home Theater PC, upstairs PC, GS3 hooked into car speakers, etc.). I use my studio system as a flat reference. I mean if it really was better objectively, why did vinyl "go away" essentially?

It's totally subjective but not the point of my thread to get into a vinyl vs. digital debate - I'm asking the OBJECTIVE question of what is the better modern mastered discs.

I think I have my answer though. I just have to find a way to rip the DVD-A portions of the Deluxe editions as these have the highest bit rate in both in the 5.1 and stereo mixes. Objectively, those are the best quality. Subjectively, I have to simply perform A to B comparison listening sessions under same circumstances (i.e., in my quiet basement studio) to determine which mastering between '97, Sector, or Deluxe that I prefer, even if the disc quality is "less". Aside from the six available DVD editions with higher bitrates, I think I'll just stick with the Sectors masters over the '97 ones for all the other CD's.

I have yet to order the Atlantic remasters and Retrospective 3 (to get the two remastered VT tracks.)

Edited by mrvander

Sorry. I didn't see the "best quality discs" part. I thought you flat out wanted the best quality for anything. Whoops.

No worries. A record is technically a disc, right?

Sorry. I didn't see the "best quality discs" part. I thought you flat out wanted the best quality for anything. Whoops.

No worries. A record is technically a disc, right?

Good point. I think it's cool that Apple made a turntable you can plug into your computer and play your record through your PC/Mac. It's pretty smart.

Bah. Vinyl is one of those personal opinion things but I don't buy into it. Those who "like it" like the "experience" and actually prefer what they perceive is a "warmer" sound due to the noise inherent with the older technology. It's a self-fulfilling thing: you like the idea due to a preconcieved notion from either "buying" into the idea or from "sweet memories" (see what I did there? :) ) therefore you think it sounds "better" even in the face of objective facts. That's all fine and well, there's no disputing one may LIKE vinyl recording better. I for one, like the clarity to hear the actual notes and recording as the band/producer intended without the added noise. In fact, I only add a bit of EQ to offset the characteristics of each system/speaker combo I use (Galaxy S3 earbuds, Home Theater PC, upstairs PC, GS3 hooked into car speakers, etc.). I use my studio system as a flat reference. I mean if it really was better objectively, why did vinyl "go away" essentially?

It's totally subjective but not the point of my thread to get into a vinyl vs. digital debate - I'm asking the OBJECTIVE question of what is the better modern mastered discs.

I think I have my answer though. I just have to find a way to rip the DVD-A portions of the Deluxe editions as these have the highest bit rate in both in the 5.1 and stereo mixes. Objectively, those are the best quality. Subjectively, I have to simply perform A to B comparison listening sessions under same circumstances (i.e., in my quiet basement studio) to determine which mastering between '97, Sector, or Deluxe that I prefer, even if the disc quality is "less". Aside from the six available DVD editions with higher bitrates, I think I'll just stick with the Sectors masters over the '97 ones for all the other CD's.

I have yet to order the Atlantic remasters and Retrospective 3 (to get the two remastered VT tracks.)

Did a vinyl vs. CD vs. PCM F-1, vs. 8-track, vs. Cassette, vs. Reel to Reel vs. DAT, etc. during my Recording I class way way way back, and vinyl lost BIG time! EQ is your friend...wanna hear "vinyl like" sound from your crappy CD? BOOST THE BASS...vinyl is all about de-coding the bass that you can't get on a vinyl platter..that's why it's so WARRRRRMMMMM....

Anyway....to each his own! IF you like vinyl, knock yourself out...but as far as I'm concerned, you can keep it!

What I've heard is that the original CD's are decent, the 97 remasters are good, and the Sector discs are awesome....

Personally, I don't hear a big enough difference in any of them to make any decision based upon what people think...go buy a set, ANY set, you won't be dissappointed in any way, shape or form! If you can tell the difference and make an "informed decision" on which ones sound better, then you should get a job at a mastering lab!

I've heard them all, and none of them strikes me as "THE" version. They are all the same!

Edited by Jaminbenb

I have got to disagree that they are all the same.

I'm only basing my disagreement from my own experience here. As soon as I popped in Signals from the Sectors set, I was blown away. This is like an entirely new album! This is without any A to B comparisons. I next popped in an album which I've never really had any issues with how it sounded, Farewell To Kings, and was still amazed at the bottom end without sacrificing clarity of the mids or high end. Now admittedly, perhaps because I noticed such a significant difference in Signals I was perhaps predisposed to WANT to notice a difference in the other albums - but it's a moot point because it's MY perspective and MY ears. So if I perceive a difference and think it's better - more power to that disc - for me. That's sort of what these guys who love vinyl think and they're right every bit as much as I am right. If they think it's better, more power to them becuase that's their perception and isn't it great we all get to listen to the disc we each think is the best one? Except for Vapor Trails. :)

But to imply mastering only matters to those who know how to professionally master is disingenuous. Vapor Trails and the two subsequently remastered tracks from Retro 3 is perfect proof of that. It certainly makes a difference to my middle-aged ears!

Edited by mrvander