Rap or Rock?

drumbum

Who would you Rather listen to, Rush or 50 Cent  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you Rather listen to, Rush or 50 Cent

• Rush
    • 50 Cent

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 4 2005, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Jul 4 2005, 08:32 AM)
Music is pretty damn important to just about everyone on the planet, regardless of where you live.

And music in our lives has many phases.  What I listen to now is completely different from when I was a teenager (I just turned 37 last month).  As examples, I grew up listening to rock (the good and bad) and today look back at what the hec was I thinking going to Def Leppard and Iron Maiden concerts way back when.  But that was then, this is now (for me).  Back then bands like them were popular.  Today, they are pretty much long gone and forgotten to a large, but not total, extent.

I think a good barometer of music in any genre is its staying power and likability say 20+ years after the initial release.  I know alot of younger people read these boards (younger as in teens) and all I can say to you with certainty is this...

I highly doubt you will be listening to 50Cent, or rap music at all, when you hit your late 20's / early 30's.  And at some point you will look back and do what we all do, wonder why the hec we listened to what we "now" preceive as bad music.  It's all about youth Rap music is, and to a lesser degree Hip Hop.

As for rock music , I am constantly amazed at how I can still listen too and love so much classic rock to this day.  It doesn't embarass me, it reminds me of my youth (certain songs and bands) and keeps me grounded when I see all the popular music played today, that is much more worried about sales, marketing and how to cash in asap.

As for Rush, when you just stop and think about it, they are just incredible in that their fan base keeps INCREASING after 30 years together.  It boggles the mind really.  Name me one other act from any genre or era that has been together this long, as an original group, selling out concerts and playing with such youth and power.  And they didn't sell out, they care not for bling-bling or recognition, fame or fortune.

These are my thoughts on what music means and does for me.  But I can guarantee when you get a bit older, start a family and move up the corporate ladder you will not be listening to 50 Cent and frankly, might even be embarrased  to have liked his music like I was with certain other bands of my youth. 

But I bet you will have no problem tossing on Rush at any age smile.gif

As one of the "teens" you mention here, I can assure you that NOBODY on this board, of any age, actually LISTENS to Fiddy and his rap homies. Sure, I voted for Fiddy in this poll, but purely to make fun of the absurdity of this thread.

I will however say that RAP doesn't suck, just MAINSTREAM rap. i have a few friends who are into a lot of underground/local/old school hip-hop, and some of the stuff they've played me is really good. And I LOVE the Beastie Boys too.

What instrument have these geniuses mastard besides their vernacular?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jul 9 2005, 03:01 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 4 2005, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (ByTor2112 @ Jul 4 2005, 08:32 AM)
Music is pretty damn important to just about everyone on the planet, regardless of where you live.

And music in our lives has many phases.  What I listen to now is completely different from when I was a teenager (I just turned 37 last month).  As examples, I grew up listening to rock (the good and bad) and today look back at what the hec was I thinking going to Def Leppard and Iron Maiden concerts way back when.  But that was then, this is now (for me).  Back then bands like them were popular.  Today, they are pretty much long gone and forgotten to a large, but not total, extent.

I think a good barometer of music in any genre is its staying power and likability say 20+ years after the initial release.  I know alot of younger people read these boards (younger as in teens) and all I can say to you with certainty is this...

I highly doubt you will be listening to 50Cent, or rap music at all, when you hit your late 20's / early 30's.  And at some point you will look back and do what we all do, wonder why the hec we listened to what we "now" preceive as bad music.  It's all about youth Rap music is, and to a lesser degree Hip Hop.

As for rock music , I am constantly amazed at how I can still listen too and love so much classic rock to this day.  It doesn't embarass me, it reminds me of my youth (certain songs and bands) and keeps me grounded when I see all the popular music played today, that is much more worried about sales, marketing and how to cash in asap.

As for Rush, when you just stop and think about it, they are just incredible in that their fan base keeps INCREASING after 30 years together.  It boggles the mind really.  Name me one other act from any genre or era that has been together this long, as an original group, selling out concerts and playing with such youth and power.  And they didn't sell out, they care not for bling-bling or recognition, fame or fortune.

These are my thoughts on what music means and does for me.  But I can guarantee when you get a bit older, start a family and move up the corporate ladder you will not be listening to 50 Cent and frankly, might even be embarrased  to have liked his music like I was with certain other bands of my youth. 

But I bet you will have no problem tossing on Rush at any age smile.gif

As one of the "teens" you mention here, I can assure you that NOBODY on this board, of any age, actually LISTENS to Fiddy and his rap homies. Sure, I voted for Fiddy in this poll, but purely to make fun of the absurdity of this thread.

I will however say that RAP doesn't suck, just MAINSTREAM rap. i have a few friends who are into a lot of underground/local/old school hip-hop, and some of the stuff they've played me is really good. And I LOVE the Beastie Boys too.

What instrument have these geniuses mastard besides their vernacular?

Actually the Beastie Boys are accomplished musicians in their own right. They may not be the virtuosos 2.gif are but they do know how to compose some good music...they play guitars, drums, keyboards etc. on several of their albums...unlike other rap acts their forte is their "sound" not their image or their lyrics (though much of their lyrics do offer social commentary)....They have some cool, funky instrumentals that I personally think are fresh and creative....To me rap is made of some good stuff and alot of bad stuff...much like the majority of other music genres... I love rock music but I have to honestly say about 80 to 90% of it is pure unadulturated CRAP....

check out a compilation of Beastie Boys instrumentals called "The In Sound From Way Out" to get an idea of how their music is good

BTW I'm not a teen...I'm actually old enuff to be the father of teens scared.gif

Archived