Bioshock Infinite (May Contain Spoilers)

ShlappinDahBass

http://i.imgur.com/wkq2zGx.jpg

SCARED THE f**k OUT OF ME!

hehehehe. For some reason, my dumb brain finally figured it out at that part...And I'm like, "You know, this place feels A LOT like the old Bioshock. I bet you anything after I flip this switch, something will be behind me and- OMG *blasts all shotgun ammo into face*"

Hahahah, I was just thinking about that part. I remember walking through there and thinking about the projections with Elizabeth on them, starting to try to put the story of Anna/Elizabeth together and it really did feel like the old Bioshock with the Warden. I remember thinking, "This Warden's office is oddly quiet, so there's no way I'll be able to pull this switch and get outta here." And then BAM, he's right there when you pull that switch.

I think I shot him in a panic and then paused the game because I was laughing at how startled I was. Nearly shat myself there.

http://i.imgur.com/wkq2zGx.jpg

SCARED THE f**k OUT OF ME!

hehehehe. For some reason, my dumb brain finally figured it out at that part...And I'm like, "You know, this place feels A LOT like the old Bioshock. I bet you anything after I flip this switch, something will be behind me and- OMG *blasts all shotgun ammo into face*"

The worst part for me was when you encountered him earlier... I was low on ammo on the first encounter, the second two times I was completely out.. So I had no defense against his creepy ass club wielding masked ghost whatevers.. so when I saw him I was basically said "f**k it" and just ran through the second two encounters.. didn't know you can try to get by him by stealth. Then that jump scare got me good.

I'm biting the bullet and think I'm gonna pick it up today (if I get a minute).

Will I be sorry?

P.S. I loved both previous Bioshocks.

It's in the top 3 games I've ever played. You will NOT be sorry. Especially if you loved the previous Bioshocks. For the story, especially.

Spoilers:

A good game overall. Did not thrill me. The entire art style from characters to music to the amazing skyboxes and environments in general makes it worth playing. The first hour or so of this game is absolutely amazing. The lighthouse and the rocket, going through the chapel and exploring the town, all top-notch. More atmospheric than anything in the first Bioshock, and good enough to outclass anything and everything contemporary with it. After that it all went downhill. I won't get into the changes the game went through in development, from the relentless character re-do's to the fact that Ken Levine rewrote the entire thing in the final six months (it was ready to ship in 2011...), but the game suffered. It suffered a lot.

The game goes full retard after you pick ball 77. The violence in this game is ridiculously overplayed. It goes from well-paced exploration and storytelling to an all-out derpfest in a few short seconds. all sense of realism and care for the narrative goes out the window. You must murder at least a dozen cops every half-mile. Blew me right out of the scenario. So you do a lot of fighting to get to Elizabeth, who in pre-production was an unsure-of-herself, meek, sheltered heroine who's slowly discovering how to use her Godlike powers. In the final product she's little more than a pretty face. Elizabeth, who's supposedly never interacted with anybody but the Songbird (except by travelling through her tears, of course, which makes little sense considering that she says she always returned to her cage for her "family", when it was only the Songbird the entire time), is not the least bit shocked by gunfire or violence. Sure, they play it up when she commits her little act of killing later in the campaign, but she does little else besides ducking when the bullets fly. And she's a social butterfly everywhere you go. The caged girl. Not screaming, not scrambling for a corner, not crying (things I, a 19 year old male might very well do if there's 20 people firing guns over my head and corpses everywhere), just getting down and hunting for items to help you along.

The point is that the violence was entirely out of place in this game, and served to murder the story. Levine had a good product in the unreleased version, and decided last minute to do something entirely different. You don't try to lay low, or find an easy way off the city, you run around slaughtering hundreds of police officers until the Vox start up, then you start killing them too. The story isn't bad, really, but it's spread out in between long sections of mindless death. Don't tell me that it was intentional, trying to contrast the beauty of the city against Booker's violent nature, that's bullshit. It was purely a "shit, we really don't have a good way to stress character development here, so lets just have Elizabeth say a couple more things to the player after every encounter" thing.

Personally, the whole plot behind the multiple realities, Comstock, and Elizabeth's origins felt very last-minute-written...because it was. It's a game with a brilliant opening sequence, a fantastic soundtrack, amazing art and environment direction, and very, very forced, rushed everything else. They recycled plasmids from the first two games, as well as Voxophones (elements they said they didn't want to repeat in pre-production), did very little to make the gunplay stand-out, and butchered what could have been great.

If you love the game, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but hot damn this game is getting critical praise that it just does not deserve. Elizabeth is about as deep as a puddle. The fan wanking about her being a brilliant character can be shut down with the question "Would you like her if she was ugly?", because the answer is a realistic and overwhelming no. She's pretty. She looks like Zooey Deschanel. That's why they love her. The scene from the E3 demonstration of her trying to bring the horse back to life against Booker's warnings had everyone hopeful for the next great AI companion, but she's pretty useless throughout the missions (she has godlike powers, and she's hunting for random shit to hand you...the way the tears were implemented in combat was pitiful). It's sad that Half Life 2's Alyx Vance is several years old, and still outclasses her in terms of personality and use in game.

The ending...I wanted to like it, but the way it's delivered made zero sense. You go through all that fighting, all that harrowing shit, and suddenly Elizabeth is aware of the multiverse, the multiple Bookers, the "constants and variables". There was no inkling of her being aware of these things up until that moment. That is a forced twist. The best parts of the entire game for me were the opening sequence and when you free Elizabeth from the torture machine and she brings forth the tornado. That's the kind of shit I was wanting to see throughout the entire thing (and she was doing all sorts of massive shit with her powers in the unreleased version of the game).

In short, it's alright, but I was let down. Levine did so much touting of his amazing story and brilliant AI companion to have them fall so, so short.