Counterparts SACD: Anyone have it yet?

ak2112

Has anyone here on the forum got the Counterparts SACD yet? Just curious if anyone with SACD playback has had a chance to listen to it. I ordered it and the Close to the Edge SACD and they shipped on 3/1 but it takes a while to get stuff up here to Alaska. Really looking forward to this one since its the first Rush album to be released on the SACD format. Lots of potential here. Plus, its one of my top 5 Rush albums of all time!

As it is Rush's worst album, no.

I think you have it confused with Test for Echo.

T4E was CP with good songs and less bad lyrics.

Music is just anyone's opinion.

Of course, RTB went platinum and CP lost Rush hundreds and thousands of fans, so...

Of course, RTB went platinum and CP lost Rush hundreds and thousands of fans, so...

Well, regardless, I really like both of them, which is my opinion of course. I also like T4E, but to me, it's a very obvious weak point in the discography. About half of the songs go on the sliding scale of mediocre-to-bad, with Dog Years sitting right at the bottom of their library. Limbo is the worst instrumental track they've ever done. Totem feels clunky, while Half the World and Color of Right are completely forgettable. For me the album is saved by Driven, Time and Motion and the title track. Counterparts, while by no means perfect, is much more solid. Everything I just said is, of course, :finbar:

I bought the gold CD of Roll the Bones. If this Counterparts reissue was a gold disc, I would've bought it. I listen to music almost exclusively on my MP3 player, so the stellar quality of the SACD would've been lost on me.

Edited by Dscrapre

Interesting to hear everyones opinion on the album. I think Counterparts was the best album they had put out since Power Windows and is also right up there with Moving Pictures so I'm really looking forward to my SACD arriving! Definately going to compare it to my original 1993 CD.

Well, regardless, I really like both of them, which is my opinion of course. I also like T4E, but to me, it's a very obvious weak point in the discography. About half of the songs go on the sliding scale of mediocre-to-bad, with Dog Years sitting right at the bottom of their library. Limbo is the worst instrumental track they've ever done. Totem feels clunky, while Half the World and Color of Right are completely forgettable. For me the album is saved by Driven, Time and Motion and the title track. Counterparts, while by no means perfect, is much more solid than. Everything I just said is, of course, :finbar:

I bought the gold CD of Roll the Bones. If this Counterparts reissue was a gold disc, I would've bought it. I listen to music almost exclusively on my MP3 player, so the stellar quality of the SACD would've been lost on me.

I've always felt that Half the World and the Color of Right are better than any song on CP, with only Animate coming close. But you're right, it's all just IMHO.

Edited by LedRush

Atlantic Records claim's that CP went platinum as well as claiming that RTB went double platinum.

CP did not sell as high but had a higher debut and "Leave that thing alone" was nominated for a Grammy.

So an album not selling as well means that a band lost hundreds and thousands of fans? That's silly and makes no difference to me anyway. CP is a great album and one of my favorites.

Edited by calirush

Well, regardless, I really like both of them, which is my opinion of course. I also like T4E, but to me, it's a very obvious weak point in the discography. About half of the songs go on the sliding scale of mediocre-to-bad, with Dog Years sitting right at the bottom of their library. Limbo is the worst instrumental track they've ever done. Totem feels clunky, while Half the World and Color of Right are completely forgettable. For me the album is saved by Driven, Time and Motion and the title track. Counterparts, while by no means perfect, is much more solid than. Everything I just said is, of course, :finbar:

I've always felt that Half the World and the Color of Right are better than any song on CP, with only Animate coming close. But you're right, it's all just IMHO.

Interestingly enough Animate is one of my least favorite songs off of CP. I know that a ton of people love it, but I could never really get completely into it. Good song though.

Atlantic Records claim's that CP went platinum as well as claiming that RTB went double platinum.

CP did not sell as high but had a higher debut and "Leave that thing alone" was nominated for a Grammy.

So an album not selling as well means that a band lost hundreds and thousands of fans? That's silly and makes no difference to me anyway. CP is a great album and one of my favorites.

If RTB went double platinum and CP platinum (I don't believe this to be true in the US), it means that about a million less people bought the album. It could be less than that, and it could be more. But 1 million is the average.

I've always read that RTB was platinum and CP was gold, meaning that approx. 500k fewer people bought it. That's people voting with their wallets.

Interestingly enough Animate is one of my least favorite songs off of CP. I know that a ton of people love it, but I could never really get completely into it. Good song though.

What are your favorites?

If RTB went double platinum and CP platinum (I don't believe this to be true in the US), it means that about a million less people bought the album. It could be less than that, and it could be more. But 1 million is the average.

I've always read that RTB was platinum and CP was gold, meaning that approx. 500k fewer people bought it. That's people voting with their wallets.

Yes those are RIAA statistics, Atlantic made their own claims so I can't say which is correct. Without actual numbers everything is really speculation. Even with the RIAA estimates what is the difference? RTB could be one million and CP might be nine hundred something thousand lol. Justin Bieber probably outsells Rush 10 to 1, does that make him better?

I enjoy Counterparts quite a bit. It was a return to the heavier sound that I prefer.

Back on point though...

I'm really curious to hear if there's a noticable difference on the SACD. I've read some unfavorable reports online, including this info on wikipedia

History

The Super Audio CD format was originally introduced in 1999.[2] Royal Philips Electronics and Crest Digital partnered in May 2002 to develop and install the first SACD hybrid disc production line in the USA, with a production capacity of 3 million discs per year.[3] But SACD did not achieve the same explosive growth that Compact Discs enjoyed in the 1980s,[4] and was not accepted by the mainstream market.[5][6][7] By 2008, some considered the Super Audio CD a complete failure.[8].

Comparison with CD

In September 2007 the Audio Engineering Society published the results of a year-long trial in which a range of subjects including professional recording engineers were asked to discern the difference between SACD and compact disc audio (44.1 kHz/16 bit) under double blind test conditions. Out of 554 trials, there were 276 correct answers, a 49.8% success rate corresponding almost exactly to the 50% that would have been expected by chance guessing alone

What are your favorites?

I really like Cut to the Chase, Between Sun and Moon, Alien Shore, Double Agent, and Leave that Thing Alone. The last two, I feel, are an almost perfect sequence into each other.

After those comes Stick it out, Cold Fire, Nobody's Hero and Animate. When I said that Animate was one of my least favorites, I was wrong. It sits right in the middle of the pack for me.

I don't really like Speed of Love or Everyday Glory, with Speed of Love taking the title of worst track.

Overall, I'd say that for me CP is on the lower side of the catalog. Not the best album they did but I like it more than Presto, FBN, the Debut, and Test for Echo.

Yes those are RIAA statistics, Atlantic made their own claims so I can't say which is correct. Without actual numbers everything is really speculation. Even with the RIAA estimates what is the difference? RTB could be one million and CP might be nine hundred something thousand lol. Justin Bieber probably outsells Rush 10 to 1, does that make him better?

Are people really arguing about the merits of RTB vs. Counterparts based on ALBUM SALES?

Yes, Roll the Bones has Dreamline, and a couple of other decent tracks, but it also has Face Up, The Big Wheel, Hersey, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life. I can't be the only one who threw up in my mouth a little at the mention of those titles.

Counterparts on the other hand has... a hell of a lot of great songs, the first four especially being truly, truly excellent! Even CP's instrumental kicks RTB's instrumental square in the ass.

CP is RTB with testicles fully descended.

• Like 1

Face Up, The Big Wheel, Hersey, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life. I can't be the only one who threw up in my mouth a little at the mention of those titles. [/Quote]

*raises hand* I like those songs. *ducks for cover*

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

Face Up, The Big Wheel, Hersey, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life. I can't be the only one who threw up in my mouth a little at the mention of those titles. [/Quote]

Fair enough, but even you have to admit those songs are Rush far, far from their best.

Got a question. When I play the SACD layer how should it read on my receiver? I have a pretty nice 7.2 setup and cant wait for this. Thanks for the help.

Fair enough, but even you have to admit those songs are Rush far, far from their best.

Oh yeah. They are by no means essential, but, I still enjoy them and will listen to them if I'm listening to Roll the Bones. The Big Wheel and You Bet Your Life are the only ones of those that I ever go out of my way to listen to.