Calling All Canadians! College Help

Nate2112

My dad has been pushing me about college lately and I've been thinking of becoming a 3d Animator for a self-company like Pixar. So I want to go to either Concordia University in Montreal or Emily Ross in Vancouver.

I signed up for dual citizenship a couple days ago so now I'm both a citizen of the US and of Canada. My mother was born in New Brunswick, so I get special benefits.

Any help will be thanked.

Seriously? I know a lot of people on this board think he's a jerk, but trenken knows his graphic design stuff. I don't know how well-versed he is in the Canadian university scene, but he's worth PM-ing.

Seriously? I know a lot of people on this board think he's a jerk, but trenken knows his graphic design stuff. I don't know how well-versed he is in the Canadian university scene, but he's worth PM-ing.

Thanks, I'll do that!

Emily Carr is an extremely expensive school in an extremely expensive city. Dunno about Concordia, but I doubt it's very different. I don't want to sound too discouraging, but digital media is an incredibly competitive business and given the cost of tuition and the relatively small number of jobs in the field, you really have to be an outstanding and driven worker to make it worthwhile. It's not something you can go into just because your parents are pushing you into college; that's a good way to end up saddled with student loan bills and no real prospects. I learned that the hard way.

If you're genuinely incredibly passionate about it, AND you're willing to work your ass off for it, AND you can handle the networking stuff, then sure, go for it. But make sure you've explored all your options first, and don't be afraid to put college off for a year or two (or even more) to save up some dough, get contacts and references, and learn more about the industry.

• Like 1

Emily Carr is an extremely expensive school in an extremely expensive city. Dunno about Concordia, but I doubt it's very different. I don't want to sound too discouraging, but digital media is an incredibly competitive business and given the cost of tuition and the relatively small number of jobs in the field, you really have to be an outstanding and driven worker to make it worthwhile. It's not something you can go into just because your parents are pushing you into college; that's a good way to end up saddled with student loan bills and no real prospects. I learned that the hard way.

If you're genuinely incredibly passionate about it, AND you're willing to work your ass off for it, AND you can handle the networking stuff, then sure, go for it. But make sure you've explored all your options first, and don't be afraid to put college off for a year or two (or even more) to save up some dough, get contacts and references, and learn more about the industry.

I looked up tuition with my father for Concordia and since I'ma dual citizen it was 1,000-2,000 range if I lived in Quebec. What was funny is that my boarding and mealplan cost more than my tuition lol.

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-and-fees/undergraduate/calculator/