Heart

D-13

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 29 2005, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Sep 25 2005, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 25 2005, 09:57 PM)
Ok so everyone knows how Heart had definatly the "Drummer Blues"

There was.... *drum roll please* ha-ha

Ray Shaefe (unknown)
Brian Johnstone (unknown)
Mike Derosie (1975-1982)
Denny Carmassi (1982-1993)
Denny Fongheiser (1993-1995)
Ben Smith (2002-2005)

Which was your favourite drummer? 
I liked Mike during the "rock" Era of Heart also then when the 80's came I loved Denny Carmassi's stuff.  Now I'm in love with Ben Smith! 

What say you?

By far, my fav is Mike Derosie, in fact, he is one of my favorite overall. Carmassi did a great job, but Derosie was da man.

hey D, have you seen the behinds the Music show on Heart? It is great. It really goes back to the very beginning including the reasons they moved to Vancouver and thus were thought of as a Canadian band for a great while.

Also, those are some great pics!

I gotta go with Carmassi. He's the original drummer for Montrose and while they may not be that huge, the debut album MONTROSE may well be the best album in rock history. Sammy Hagar's BEST (without argument) performance on vinyl of his entire life. But Denny rocked then and he was much calmer with Heart, but still had the skills. His solo during their live show in the mid eighties was bettered by one certain Canadian skins master only.

Man do I gotta catch up on this thread. lol

I'm a big Carmassi fan, too. I saw him play with Heart in '86 for their Heart album tour. Honeymoon Suite opened up for them - and they were AWESOME!! To this day I'm a HUGE fan of The Big Prize album because of that show.

Anyway, my favorite work from Carmassi was the Coverdale/Page album. Just an amazing CD - drums included.

I had 14th row center for that Heart show and my seat was the end of the row to the left. During the concert I saw this photographer in the aisle trying to get as far up as possible but security kept pushing folks back. So I was watching this happen over and over to this guy. Finally when he got next to my seat, I yanked him into my row and had him stand in front of my seat (we were all standing on our seats so he had plenty of room on the floor). He was very appreciative and asked for my address and sent me these AWESOME shots of the show. Do I have them to show you??? NO!!!! Sorry. I have to dig through my old photo albums and see if I can find them. I'll scan them in and show you if I can.

OK - so back to drummers. I do have to give my favorite Heart drummer nod to Derosie. He had such a fluid sound to his playing, and drove home some of the greatest Heart songs ever recorded.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thestand @ Nov 11 2005, 11:01 AM)
Which song is it that has the really good acoustic intro (always played on classic rock radio). The first time I heard that song, I thought- 'Yeah, they're not trying to be Rush...' [/sarcasm]

Are you talking about the intro to Crazy On You? Man I love that acoustic piece. It's called Silver Wheels. You know..... Alex isn't the only living human being who's allowed to play acoustic guitar. Sheesh.

Nancy is an amazing musician and she can play to me anytime she wants. wub.gif While you're scoffing at her.... I'll be groovin' trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 11 2005, 11:36 AM)
Which song is it that has the really good acoustic intro (always played on classic rock radio). The first time I heard that song, I thought- 'Yeah, they're not trying to be Rush...' [/sarcasm]

Are you talking about the intro to Crazy On You? Man I love that acoustic piece. It's called Silver Wheels. You know..... Alex isn't the only living human being who's allowed to play acoustic guitar. Sheesh.

Nancy is an amazing musician and she can play to me anytime she wants. wub.gif While you're scoffing at her.... I'll be groovin' trink39.gif

ohmy.gif tongue.gif It's just how it's played, and the whole acoustic-into-electric. And, it reaally sounds like Rush. To me.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 11 2005, 09:36 AM)

Tryin to be Rush? Your kidding right? ohmy.gif

Do you play guitar? if so please pick up one and try and play that piece. I double dog dare you. wink.gif

Nancy is one hell of a musician...and when they play that song live...it's even better. She places parts of songs like Hijinx which sounds even cooler!!

Thing that catches my eye is the open chords...brilliant! I'm pretty sure she caught that from Joni Mitchell. Mistral Wind is a good tune that demonstrates this.

Even it up...Nancy does the guitar solo...and it's damn good! It's not some lazy sluggish solo...it's fast, accurate and to the point.

I don't even know if Heart listened to Rush back then...If I had to guess..I wouldn't think so....wink.gif

Jeeeesus, settle down people. How many times did I say "'I' THINK it sounds like Rush." Riiiight? Wow, you people are amazing.

And the whole 'why don't you pick up a guitar' thing is a hilarious attack. When did I ever say it sounded easy? Huh? Or are you implying that everything Alex plays is easy. That's the only connection between me talking about Rush and you challenging me to play it that I can find.

Again, settle down.

EDIT:

And to prove I don't want this to be a stupid internet fight, a peace offering.

http://www.cindyscakes.com/images/Heart_Cake_Web.jpg

See... because it's a cake... in the shape... of... heart... and... ph34r.gif

Edited by thestand

The reason for the guitar is because there are waaaay too many people who say shit about a band and say their music is shit yes.gif ...when they don't understand the logic behind it...and the talents...thats all. Yeah I love Heart and I like to defend them because waaaay too many people say...oh whatever...she can't play anything on the guitar or it sounds like *insert band here*. And thats why I felt like I needed to defend. I'm sorry smile.gif

Lets carry on here....

What does everyone think of Jupiters Darling? Their new CD. I personally think it may be Heart's best album other than the huge albums like D&B and DA. A good mix. Goes from Rock to something...mellow and "countryish" like "Things" and then back to rock. I certainly like how Nancy sings in a few songs...nice to hear her voice biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Nov 11 2005, 03:35 PM)
Jeeeesus, settle down people. How many times did I say "'I' THINK it sounds like Rush." Riiiight? Wow, you people are amazing.

And the whole 'why don't you pick up a guitar' thing is a hilarious attack. When did I ever say it sounded easy? Huh? Or are you implying that everything Alex plays is easy. That's the only connection between me talking about Rush and you challenging me to play it that I can find.

Again, settle down.

EDIT:

And to prove I don't want this to be a stupid internet fight, a peace offering.

http://www.cindyscakes.com/images/Heart_Cake_Web.jpg

See... because it's a cake... in the shape... of... heart... and...  ph34r.gif

laugh.gif I'm not fightin' ya!!!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/66.gif http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/70.gif http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/66.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

just got this from an email...anyone going to the show?

Hello Heartmongers~

We thought we would start the season right ...by announcing an exciting Heart show coming to Atlantic City, NJ in Feburary.

It is HEART - Decades Live - for VH1 and includes Heart and friends. Alice In Chains is CONFIRMED.

The show is February 17th, 2006 at the Trump Taj Mahal.

The fanclub presale takes place on November 28th at 12 noon (Pacific Standard Time). Fanclub members only can log into the fanclub area to reserve thier tickets for the show. Tickets are limited to 2 tickets per fanclub member. Minors must be accompanied by an adult into the theater, and during the taping. Tickets are $85.00 USD per ticket with a 2.50 fanclub handling fee.

The fufillment will happen as follows. This show will be fufilled by member number. The lower membership number you have, the better the seats. All seats are guaranteed in sections 102, 103 and 104, and will be on the floor. You are guaranteed to sit in seats better than row 16.

When the tickets are all gone, the pre-sale is over (we have a limited number of fanclub seats) The scheduled ending date of the pre-sale is December 1st at 12 noon Pacific Standard Time.

IMPORTANT ~ Tickets will not be mailed to you.

Heart Mongers (fan club) will pick up thier tickets at the will call window day of show.

Happy Holidays!

From Heart

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 22 2005, 03:04 PM)
Alice In Chains confirmed? How is that possible?

Well Mike Inez plays Bass in Heart and Jerry Cantrell usually plays with them sometimes...

Very good band. Ann Wilson is the greatest female singer EVER! To Hell with anyone who says Mariah Carey is better, Mariah is OK to look at but her singing makes me sick. Ann's singing gets better with age!

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 7 2005, 10:18 PM)
Very good band. Ann Wilson is the greatest female singer EVER! To Hell with anyone who says Mariah Carey is better, Mariah is OK to look at but her singing makes me sick. Ann's singing gets better with age!

Amen to that! trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 8 2005, 12:18 AM)

Mariah looks good singing I think.

I like that crazy on you video, some good guitar work by nancy. When I saw them she barely played anything that you could actually hear, it was pretty much in the background. But this video she played and you could hear it.

Nancy Wilson nomiated for Best Composer ~ Elizabethtown [ 12/27/2005 ]

Elizabethtown has be nomiated for 3 awards! Nancy Wilson as Best Composer for Elizabethtown by the Broadcast Film Critics association.

The Critics choice awards are bestowed annually by the Broadcast Film Critics Association to honor the finest in cinematic achievement. Nominess for 2005 will be selected by written ballots in a week-long voting period ending on midnight December 9th and will be announced on December 11th. The winners will be revealed at the 11th annual Critics' Choice Awards ceremony on January 9th at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, which will be broadcast live on The WB Television Network.

Best Song

"A Love That Will Never Grow Old", Emmylou Harris - Brokeback Mountain

"Hustle and Flow", Terrence Howard - Hustle and Flow

"Same In Any Language", I Nine - Elizabethtown

"Seasons of Love", Tracie Thoms, Jesse L. Martin and Cast - Rent

"Travelin' Thru", Dolly Parton - Transamerica

Best Soundtrack

Elizabethtown

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Producers: The Movie Musical

Rent

Walk The Line

Best Composer

James Horner - The New World

Gustavo Santaolalla - Brokeback Mountain

John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

Nancy Wilson - Elizabethtown

GO NANCE! biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/heartLG.jpg

Ok so Heart will be touring a bit in 2006

the 2006 tour will be called "Love Rules"

Word from a dude close to Heart says they will be coming to Canada (dates and cities will be announced next year.) This is great news for me because I will fly ANYWHERE in canada to go and see Heart especially if it's in Toronto cool.gif

So far the dates are this. There will be more coming up.

2006:

March 10: Vh1 Decades Taping at Taj Mahal - Atlantic City (more info forthcoming on confirmed date)

April 7: Ruth Eckerd Hall - Clearwater, FL

June 24: Konocti Harbor - Konocti, CA

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 28 2005, 12:53 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/heartLG.jpg
Ok so Heart will be touring a bit in 2006
the 2006 tour will be called "Love Rules"

Word from a dude close to Heart says they will be coming to Canada (dates and cities will be announced next year.)  This is great news for me because I will fly ANYWHERE in canada to go and see Heart especially if it's in Toronto  cool.gif

So far the dates are this.  There will be more coming up.

2006:
March 10: Vh1 Decades Taping at Taj Mahal - Atlantic City (more info forthcoming on confirmed date)

April 7: Ruth Eckerd Hall - Clearwater, FL

June 24: Konocti Harbor - Konocti, CA

Alice In Chains!!!?!?! Don't tell me they reformed with a new singer!!! ohmy.gif wacko.gif sad.gif

Anyways I hope you get to see your heroes D smile.gif trink39.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns