Anyone have or play the Brian May guitar?

Merely Space

I'm saving money toward a new guitar. I have several in mind, including the Lonestar and Roadhouse straocasters, the Pawn Shop Mustang Special, and the Brian May Signature guitar. Now, the strats are easy to track down and check out at local guitar stores. But the Brian May guitar is hard to find sitting in a store. Anyone have any experience with one? I'm curious how the neck feels. It's short scale, but very wide.

There was a used one in a Guitar Center near me a couple years ago. It was a left handed model too so I really couldn't play it but I did pick it up. They are fairly inexpensive, especially for a signature model guitar but the company is run by May's actual guitar tech so all of the guitars go out set up exactly like Brian's. I wan't one myself. They should be extremely versatile. They are solid mahognay and have pickups that were designed by Brian when he first made the first one with his father, and probably tinkered with by John Deacon who is an electrical engineer himself. Those guys are f***ing smart! I think May has a Ph D in Astrophysics.

Anyway since the May guitars aren't really in stores (I think they are sold through Musician's Friend in the US) they are hard to find. They may be made to order or in short runs of production. I have a bunch of guitars and there are only 3 that still want to get; a Tele, a Rickenbacker 6 string (have a 12 string) and a Brian May. Not necissarily in that order.

Not that this helps. default/smile.png

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Yeah, the versatility is a major attraction with this guitar. The switching system sounds wonderful. It has some other nice feartures like the trem and a graphite nut, plus locking tuners. One correction though; I have read that it has a chambered mahogony body, which is supposed to be very good for it's sustain.

But I hesitate to order one from Musician's Friend because I have also read that the neck is fairly unusual, so I really want to try it first.