Charlotte NC show

barlowe45

They ain't called hits for nothing....and most weren't actually "hits". They are the songs that the earlier generation grew up loving.

No, they didn't have to charge such high prices. Seen a lot of bigger bands charge less...and they sell out.

They ain't called hits for nothing....and most weren't actually "hits". They are the songs that the earlier generation grew up loving.

No, they didn't have to charge such high prices. Seen a lot of bigger bands charge less...and they sell out.

I disagree with the high prices.

They have a huge light show. PLUS more musicians to feed, accommodate, e.t.c. That stuff adds up quite a bit.

Overall I loved it. Was this a Rush show for the casual fan? No. Is it a "Greatest Hits" tour? No. It's an 80's retrospective with CA.

In order to really portray the story of CA, they had to do a lot of it, and especially if they are going t hrough expense of having the strings - doesn't make sense for them to only come out for 3-4 songs.

Is it my favorite Rush show ever? No. Are there moments that are among my favorites from a show - certainly. Am I disappointed I spent over $100 on the ticket, took a half day at work, spent $40 to fill up the tank for the drive down from Raleigh, spent $45 for a t-shirt, $10 for parking, $8 for a freakin' Diet Coke (I was responsible last night) and forgoe several hours of sleep by getting home at 2am? HELL NO!!!!

I wish that I could live it all again!

(and if they do a 2nd US leg next year, I will go see them anywhere in NC) - hoepfully in Raleigh. Much shorter drive!

My theory on the set list is as follows: they are already planning on touring for their 40th anniversary (could it be a farewell tour as well? hope not) and as such there will be no album to support, they will go back to their standards - limelight, CTH, Freewill, amongst many, many others.

Besides - it lets these guys go out and do virtually a totally new show - something that after 38 years is refreshing - to them.

But I was disappointed with the crowd - kinda lame. I did my part - I was air drumming as much as I could. And most everyone at least stood! That's a good thing!

So a couple things...

1) Ticket prices. I paid $126 per ticket (including fees) last night to go see my favorite band with great seats on the side of the stage. One of my wife's favorite artists is playing in Charlotte in two weeks - I will pay $381 a ticket to sit 4 sections further away to see Madonna. Won't hear me complaining about Rush ticket prices!

2) Setlist. There are two types of bands out there: nostalgia bands (everyone from The Who to Hootie and the Blowfish) that aren't interested in making new music and tour playing thier songs from day's gone by and bands like Rush that continue to put out new music. If I recall, almost every Rush concert I went to up through Power Windows, they ALWAYS played almost the whole new albumn they were touring. And even since then they have always played a significant portion of thier most current albumn. I loved the way the new album came across live and am glad they featured it. I was definatley surprised by the weight of the mid-late 80's albums (Signals, GuP and PW) and the lack of songs from both the recent past and ancient past. Personally I really enjoyed it as that is the era when I was in my prime Rush worship phase, but I can understand the criticsm that it is over-weighted to this period.

3) Crowds - I happened to be up in NJ a couple weeks ago and saw them up there as well as last night. While the crowd in Newark was definately larger, I wouldn't say it was any better. I had basically the same seats for both shows and I really couldn't tell much of a difference in the energy level. The crowd in Charlotte actually was better than I thought it would be - in case y'all ain't realized it, this is a much smaller town then NY/Northern Jersey and a lot more Nascar / Country Music fans!

So while there will always be complaints and criticisms, my personal opinion was that these were both phenomenal shows - I thought Geddy sounded better than he has the last few tours, the performances by all three of them were great, the orchestra added a very nice texture, and I would highly reccommend attending.

I enjoyed the setlist this time. I've seen them six times since the PW tour awhile back. Not having seen every tour, it was refreshing to see them perform songs that I never thought I would see live again. And I should mention that I am probably in the minority in preferring their 80's sound to the crunchier (and somewhat repetitive, IMO) sound they put out for the most part after that until CO. The synth stuff plus the new material made for a great variety. If every tour was a greatest hits, it would become too predictable. Can't wait for the next tour to see what they do.

They have a huge light show. PLUS more musicians to feed, accommodate, e.t.c. That stuff adds up quite a bit.

This makes no sense to me.

1) Ticket prices. I paid $126 per ticket (including fees) last night to go see my favorite band with great seats on the side of the stage. One of my wife's favorite artists is playing in Charlotte in two weeks - I will pay $381 a ticket to sit 4 sections further away to see Madonna. Won't hear me complaining about Rush ticket prices!

Lulz..this hits home.

6 months ago my wife said her friend was getting "awesome" tickets to the Madonna show...but they were "kinda expensive" , I told her to go for it.

She paid over $200 I think, I looked at her seats and they are upper deck! Lol.

At least I don't have to go....

This makes no sense to me.

Explain what doesn't make sense, and I will do my best to answer your question.