Nothing on the setlist...

trenken

I havent seen live besides the CA stuff obviously, and I think the orchestra is VERY cool. I actually wish they would play on every song just to get something new for once with those old songs, but it doesnt matter.

My main problem is why are they playing so many PoW songs, while so many other albums are being neglected? Yeah yeah, its up to them and they can play whatever they enjoy playing, I get that, I just dont understand the decision. Everything remotely recent being almost completely ignored, tons of old albums being ignored.

You would think its just better to at least play 1 song per album to spread it out knowing lots of people come every time that have never seen them before. Instead PoW is getting like 20 minutes of the show while many albums being ignored. Very odd.

Edited by trenken

From everything I've read that makes reference to PW, it sounds like they consider it one of their best works. Geddy and Neil especially. I would think even Alex, whose frustrations with the synth period are well-documented, has to take at least some pride in the work (I think the way he wrote guitar parts during that period is pretty awesome, that he found "a place" just fine and serves the songs beautifully).

At the end of the day it seems kind of silly to complain about the set too much. I mean, they've toured pretty often over the last 10 years, especially considering that they ain't spring chickens anymore. We just got MP, their most popular album, in its entirety, two new albums, an anniversary tour, multi-leg tours in support of new albums...

And look at the bright side -- there's really nothing about this set to me that says "final tour." They're definitely projecting at least another tour or two, I'd say. The main reason for this tour afterall, is to play the new stuff. Why not throw in some deeper cuts from the mid-80s that we're likely to never hear live again. Maybe save Ged's voice for future tours (or at least in order to perform the new stuff as well as can be). Now was the perfect time for some of these tracks. And over the last few tours there's only been like one song from PW featured. Given that they're very fond of it, I'm more than happy to pay them this indulgence. I also just really love the album.

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 10 2012, 08:14 AM)
I havent seen live besides the CA stuff obviously, and I think the orchestra is VERY cool. I actually wish they would play on every song just to get something new for once with those old songs, but it doesnt matter.

My main problem is why are they playing so many PoW songs, while so many other albums are being neglected? Yeah yeah, its up to them and they can play whatever they enjoy playing, I get that, I just dont understand the decision. Everything remotely recent being almost completely ignored, tons of old albums being ignored.

You would think its just better to at least play 1 song per album to spread it out knowing lots of people come every time that have never seen them before. Instead PoW is getting like 20 minutes of the show while many albums being ignored. Very odd.

Look at it this way...would you rather have a Geddy straining to hit the songs of the 70's and doing it badly, or playing this stuff which he can still do exceedingly well Trenken. I know your history of preference with Rush, and sad to say man it's over--he can't do the early shit anymore. It's unfair to ask that of him.

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Sep 10 2012, 08:41 AM)
From everything I've read that makes reference to PW, it sounds like they consider it one of their best works. Geddy and Neil especially. I would think even Alex, whose frustrations with the synth period are well-documented, has to take at least some pride in the work (I think the way he wrote guitar parts during that period is pretty awesome, that he found "a place" just fine and serves the songs beautifully).

At the end of the day it seems kind of silly to complain about the set too much. I mean, they've toured pretty often over the last 10 years, especially considering that they ain't spring chickens anymore. We just got MP, their most popular album, in its entirety, two new albums, an anniversary tour, multi-leg tours in support of new albums...

And look at the bright side -- there's really nothing about this set to me that says "final tour." They're definitely projecting at least another tour or two, I'd say. The main reason for this tour afterall, is to play the new stuff. Why not throw in some deeper cuts from the mid-80s that we're likely to never hear live again. Maybe save Ged's voice for future tours (or at least in order to perform the new stuff as well as can be). Now was the perfect time for some of these tracks. And over the last few tours there's only been like one song from PW featured. Given that they're very fond of it, I'm more than happy to pay them this indulgence. I also just really love the album.

Well I agree about PoW, I do think its the best album of the whole synth era and I know Geddy is very fond of it, not sure about the other 3, and I think it has his absolute best bass playing on it so I get why he loves it, but thats not the point, the point is this band has so many albums, to play 4 off of 1 of them doesnt make sense to me no matter how much the like it.

Seems like you're short changing a lot of fans doing that, then factor in the ticket prices are higher than any previous rush tour, and the set list has less variety on it than any tour I can remember. Its not hard to understand why some would complain about this. It really is an issue for some people, and a valid one.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 08:49 AM)

Look at it this way...would you rather have a Geddy straining to hit the songs of the 70's and doing it badly, or playing this stuff which he can still do exceedingly well Trenken. I know your history of preference with Rush, and sad to say man it's over--he can't do the early shit anymore. It's unfair to ask that of him.

No I dont need them to play the 70s stuff anymore even though I love it. But nothing off of Counterparts, T4E, VT, only 1 song from their most recent album? That seems a bit odd doesnt it?

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 10 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 08:49 AM)

No I dont need them to play the 70s stuff anymore even though I love it. But nothing off of Counterparts, T4E, VT, only 1 song from their most recent album? That seems a bit odd doesnt it?

Seems a bit refreshing because we've listening to those albums for the last how many tours? The 90's weren't that stellar for the band.