Gazpacho

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jul 28 2012, 05:07 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 28 2012, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jul 27 2012, 04:15 AM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Yup. Served cold. Could soup. Kicks ass. What is your recipe?

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 28 2012, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jul 28 2012, 05:07 AM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Yup. Served cold. Could soup. Kicks ass. What is your recipe?

Chop Up

3 large Tomatoes

1 large peeled cucumber

1 onion

1 green pepper

1 chile pepper

1 clove minced garlic

Put in large bowl - cover with juice from 2-3 limes and 1 tbs vinegar. mix around. Put in fridge 2-3 hours (acid breaks down fibers)

Add

2 1/2 cups tomato juice

1 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teapoon cumin (or a little more)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

A few shakes of tabasco

a few shakes of worstershire sauce

Put in blender and beld well. Put back in bowl and refridgerate a couple more hours

LISTER: "So, um, what's all this gazpacho soup business? What's it all about?"

RIMMER: "I suppose now I'm doomed, I can tell you. Gazpacho soup. It was the greatest night of my life. I'd been invited to the Captain's Table. I'd only been with the company fourteen years. Six officers and me! They called me "Arnold." We had gazpacho soup for starters.

I didn't know gazpacho soup was meant to be served cold. I called over the chef and I told him to take it away and bring it back hot.

He did!

The looks on their faces still haunt me today!!

(Crying) I thought they were laughing at the chef, when all the time, they were laughing at me as I ate my piping hot gazpacho soup!

I never ate at the Captain's Table again.

That was the end of my career."

LISTER: "Oh, come on. Anyone could've made that mistake."

RIMMER: "If only they'd've mentioned it in Basic Training! Instead of climbing up and down ropes and crawling on your elbows through tunnels. If only, just once, they'd said, "Gazpacho soup is served cold!" I could've been an admiral by now!

Instead of a nothing which is what I am, let's face it."

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 28 2012, 01:44 PM)

RIMMER: "I suppose now I'm doomed, I can tell you. Gazpacho soup. It was the greatest night of my life. I'd been invited to the Captain's Table. I'd only been with the company fourteen years. Six officers and me! They called me "Arnold." We had gazpacho soup for starters.
I didn't know gazpacho soup was meant to be served cold. I called over the chef and I told him to take it away and bring it back hot.
He did!
(Crying) I thought they were laughing at the chef, when all the time, they were laughing at me as I ate my piping hot gazpacho soup!

RIMMER: "If only they'd've mentioned it in Basic Training! Instead of climbing up and down ropes and crawling on your elbows through tunnels. If only, just once, they'd said, "Gazpacho soup is served cold!" I could've been an admiral by now!

laugh.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 31 2012, 08:04 PM)
Isn't there a prog band by the name Gazpacho?

There is. I was literally just listening to their new album and I thought this thread was about them. And Marillion has a song called Gazpacho.

Never had the soup Gazpacho though.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 28 2012, 07:44 PM)

He did!

Classic - absolutely classic! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 2 2012, 02:03 AM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jul 28 2012, 12:32 PM)
I've never tried this, but it looks good  smile.gif

I tried it today...pretty tasty new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Even if it's cold..?

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jul 28 2012, 08:07 AM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Supposedly it was used to nourish Roman soldiers as they advanced through and occupied what would be come Spain. Pretty hot there in the summer, so a cold, tomato-based ration makes sense.

It's amazingly refreshing on a hot August day.

EDIT: Found this...

The whole story begins with the Roman legions carrying bread bread, garlic, salt, olive oil and vinegar along the roads of the Empire, with each soldier making his own mixture to taste. Pure symbols of Mediterranean culture which, a few centuries and a couple of civilisations later, will be supplemented by an innovation coming from the West. Tradition has it that, before leaving on his first voyage, Christopher Columbus loaded up with barrels of this old mixture which had fed so many peoples. With the addition of the tomato from the Andes, what will later be called gazpacho, will gain an international reputation

Edited by goose

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 2 2012, 03:50 PM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Supposedly it was used to nourish Roman soldiers as they advanced through and occupied what would be come Spain. Pretty hot there in the summer, so a cold, tomato-based ration makes sense.

The whole story begins with the Roman legions carrying bread bread, garlic, salt, olive oil and vinegar along the roads of the Empire, with each soldier making his own mixture to taste. Pure symbols of Mediterranean culture which, a few centuries and a couple of civilisations later, will be supplemented by an innovation coming from the West. Tradition has it that, before leaving on his first voyage, Christopher Columbus loaded up with barrels of this old mixture which had fed so many peoples. With the addition of the tomato from the Andes, what will later be called gazpacho, will gain an international reputation

I've wondered about this for a while - thanks, goose! smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 2 2012, 10:33 AM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Meow!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 2 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 2 2012, 10:33 AM)
drool1.gif

On a hot summer day...

... served cold..?

always cold - I think

Meow!

trink39.gif

smile.gif =^.^= smile.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 16 2012, 10:35 PM)
I had golden gazpacho today for the first time. I never thought that cold soup would taste good but I really liked it.

Where did you find it?

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 17 2012, 05:55 AM)
I had golden gazpacho today for the first time. I never thought that cold soup would taste good but I really liked it.

Where did you find it?

This.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 17 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 17 2012, 05:55 AM)

Where did you find it?

This.

Cantina Mexican restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NY.

I'm sure other restaurants have it as well but this was the first place I've seen it.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ