Follow Peart & Mosbach on Twitter

Tony R

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Aug 2 2012, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 1 2012, 07:21 PM)
thanks for the heads up.  it says Brutus is touring.  Is he now allowed in the US?

No, he isn't allowed here, he's traveling on the European leg next year.

He'll be riding with them up in the Great White North at the end of September.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 28 2012, 10:51 PM)
... and I think [Neil] tries to connect with the fans more than the two guys who shake hands and pose for pictures with people.
My comment was directed to the usual naysayers.

That's a bold assumption, from someone I'm guessing has never met any of the band members.

I met Geddy and Alex back on the Counterparts tour, when Atlantic Records threw Rush aftershow parties during the Madison Sq. Garden run. It was before the whole "organized" meet and greet days where they just herd everyone thru like cattle for a photo op. This was more informal, and bunches of people were just mingling with the band, drinks and trays of food, etc. in a vip area.

Anyway here's my point. Geddy and Alex were mingling and chatting with everyone, being gracious and very generous with their time. While Neil was tucked in the innermost spot of a large circular booth with 3 people on each side of him. As I was about to speak with Geddy, everyone on one side of the booth shuffled out, Neil then shuffled out, walked right past me and hurried out a side door (maybe an elevator?, I forget, it happened very quickly and I was a moment away from meeting Geddy Lee--a once in a lifetime experience for me). I'm sure I gawked at him for a second before he got up, and for all I know, he got creeped out by me, but when he darted out, I just let him be and didn't try to say anything or impose myself on him. Then I spoke to Geddy, and had a nice chat for a few minutes. My friend and I had already said hello to Alex first, but after talking to Geddy for a bit we ran into Alex again on the way out of the vip section, and thanked him, and chatted a little bit more. The two of them were very sweet and down to earth. Alex seemed so happy to be there--very funny and bubbly.

Memorable moments and quotes: Geddy (after hearing my friend and I gush about how Rush inspired us to be musicians and to try to make a career playing rock) "Wow, you guys are laying some heavy $@!% on me!" Moments later my friend was talking and unfortunately gesturing with his drink, when the tiny straw popped out of it and bounced off Geddy's very perfectly glossy, shined black leather dress shoe. My friend, just kinda choked in mid-sentence, and Geddy just reached out and put his hand on his shoulder and said, "It's OK. Really, it's OK." (laughs all around). Alex (to my other friend who actually got us all invited to the whole shindig--she had worked with Atlantic and personally with Rush during Presto) "YOU CHANGED YOUR HAIR!!!" A moment after that my other friend told him, "I'll never forget my first Rush show! It was 1976, I was 15, and WASTED!" Alex immediately added, "...and I was 23, and wasted!" Unforgettable night. Not getting to thank Neil for everything was a let-down, but hardly anything to whine about. It's nice that he's been sharing a lot more of his personal experience in writing lately and online, but he's still the most private of the three.

Now 18 years later, they are coming to a venue in Newark, NJ about 5 minutes from my home, and I'm hoping to get a moment to shake hands with Geddy and Alex again after all this time. I doubt they'll remember any of what I posted above, and I'll only have a second to say hello and goodbye, but it would be nice to update Geddy on the twists and turns in my musical career since then.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Aug 3 2012, 06:07 AM)
... and I think [Neil] tries to connect with the fans more than the two guys who shake hands and pose for pictures with people.

That's a bold assumption, from someone I'm guessing has never met any of the band members.

I met Geddy and Alex back on the Counterparts tour, when Atlantic Records threw Rush aftershow parties during the Madison Sq. Garden run. It was before the whole "organized" meet and greet days where they just herd everyone thru like cattle for a photo op. This was more informal, and bunches of people were just mingling with the band, drinks and trays of food, etc. in a vip area.

Anyway here's my point. Geddy and Alex were mingling and chatting with everyone, being gracious and very generous with their time. While Neil was tucked in the innermost spot of a large circular booth with 3 people on each side of him. As I was about to speak with Geddy, everyone on one side of the booth shuffled out, Neil then shuffled out, walked right past me and hurried out a side door (maybe an elevator?, I forget, it happened very quickly and I was a moment away from meeting Geddy Lee--a once in a lifetime experience for me). I'm sure I gawked at him for a second before he got up, and for all I know, he got creeped out by me, but when he darted out, I just let him be and didn't try to say anything or impose myself on him. Then I spoke to Geddy, and had a nice chat for a few minutes. My friend and I had already said hello to Alex first, but after talking to Geddy for a bit we ran into Alex again on the way out of the vip section, and thanked him, and chatted a little bit more. The two of them were very sweet and down to earth. Alex seemed so happy to be there--very funny and bubbly.

Memorable moments and quotes: Geddy (after hearing my friend and I gush about how Rush inspired us to be musicians and to try to make a career playing rock) "Wow, you guys are laying some heavy $@!% on me!" Moments later my friend was talking and unfortunately gesturing with his drink, when the tiny straw popped out of it and bounced off Geddy's very perfectly glossy, shined black leather dress shoe. My friend, just kinda choked in mid-sentence, and Geddy just reached out and put his hand on his shoulder and said, "It's OK. Really, it's OK." (laughs all around). Alex (to my other friend who actually got us all invited to the whole shindig--she had worked with Atlantic and personally with Rush during Presto) "YOU CHANGED YOUR HAIR!!!" A moment after that my other friend told him, "I'll never forget my first Rush show! It was 1976, I was 15, and WASTED!" Alex immediately added, "...and I was 23, and wasted!" Unforgettable night. Not getting to thank Neil for everything was a let-down, but hardly anything to whine about. It's nice that he's been sharing a lot more of his personal experience in writing lately and online, but he's still the most private of the three.

Now 18 years later, they are coming to a venue in Newark, NJ about 5 minutes from my home, and I'm hoping to get a moment to shake hands with Geddy and Alex again after all this time. I doubt they'll remember any of what I posted above, and I'll only have a second to say hello and goodbye, but it would be nice to update Geddy on the twists and turns in my musical career since then.

That is a classic story--wow!!!

Thanks for sharing rofl3.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Aug 3 2012, 07:07 AM)

I have not met any of them but I think you get more insight into Neil through his lyrics and books than you can with Ged and Al.

I'm not arguing that Neil puts himself out there through his writing--he certainly does that. My point is that Geddy and Alex are not shy about rubbing elbows with people, and shooting the breeze a bit when the opportunity is there, or putting their personal lives out there either. In the documentary all three of them are equally exposed regarding their upbringings and relationships with each other, and equally guarded about flinging their spouses and children out there. You hear a little of the wives and kids, and they are not identified at any point on camera. The major difference is that Neil is just more shy and introverted in face to face encounters, and tends to avoid them whenever possible. Edited by HalfwayToGone

One last thing I'll add: It's much easier to present yourself in a written format where you have as much or as little time as you wish to think about what you want to present to people and how you want to do it, and to edit and re-word and re-write, and throw it out and start over, etc. Dealing with people face to face and ad lib is possibly riskier, and more spontaneous, with more potential for the unexpected to come out, whether it be a personal connection or a moment of rudeness or whatever.

Perhaps. I think the way things are now, you're right. With a long line of people coming thru and taking photos, it becomes tedious and not fun. It was probably easier in a party atmosphere w/food and alcohol flowing, etc.

I was on a twitter for awhile, but I grew tired of reading it. It was like reading meaningless trivia. No, I won't be following Neil and Mosbach on twitter pooh.