Alex Lifeson Interview - Rock Around the Clock

Jag2112

Thanks for picking that up. really enjoyed stuff about Nick and how he helps the band:

I was talking to Nick Raskulinecz, who told me that what he wanted from this record was to hear "full, unbridled Rush." Okay, good phrase, nice goal, but how do you as a band respond to such a wish?

Well, we always think we are just like that! [laughs] The interesting thing with Nick is, he's a great producer, with great instincts and terrific ears. He's very smart. He's so animated and enthusiastic in the studio - a great cheerleader. It's all part of the package that a producer needs to be.

There's no bullshit with Nick, no games or ego-stroking or anything like that. You're in there, you're working, and you're having fun - those are the things that are important to Nick. Recording and being around music is an absolute joy for him.

He's an old Rush fan. He was young when he was first introduced to the band's music, and because of that he's able to remind us of all the things that impacted him about Rush when he was a kid - all those golden memories and those spontaneous moments when you got attracted to a band and you felt like a loyal, dedicated fan. He reminds us not to forget where we came from, even though we want to evolve at this late stage in our career. We're still looking to move forward, and Nick, by way of keeping us aware of our past, is able to push us to new places.

Nick was pushing you guys to make a concept album, wasn't he?

Oh, yeah! When we were making Snakes & Arrows, I don't know how many times he said, "Dude! Next time around: concept piece, five-disc set. It'll be awesome!'" [laughs] We laughed it off, because we'd already been there, but he got us thinking: Hey, you know, it's been a while since we did something like that; maybe now is the time again... We started thinking in those terms of making that dynamic piece that goes from front to back.

Nick said that some of your solos on the album are from the demos.

That's true. "Clockwork Angels" and "The Garden" were both demos. They're two of my favorite solos. There's something about them, to my ear, that really connects to the songs and the emotions. It was really interesting to hear how Neil played his drum parts around my phrasing. Usually, I'm picking up those rhythmic messages from him, but because the solos were on from the demo stage, it was the other way around.

I just love some of the little accents Neil does to my little accents. It's funny - those were throwaway solos. A lot of times that happens. Ged and I did a lot of work in this writing room he has in his house. It's pretty cozy and comfy, and we drink tons of coffee and work...not too hard. [laughs] But one day Ged was out, so I spent about 15 minutes on both of those solos, getting sounds, running them down a few times, and what I think happens is that you get used to them. You can't really hear them another way

this is great stuff!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

trink39.gif

Nice. Thanks for the link. I can so relate to this:

"It's a mean-spirited guitar - its neck is constantly on the move. It frustrates me sometimes, but wow, it can really sound great. " smile.gif