Isolated tracks from the mixing console

I know we've talked a little about this before, but-

I just got through watching the documentary on 2112 and Moving Pictures. I was really intrigued watching Terry Brown push some buttons on the mix and hearing him play the isolated tracks.

It got me thinking - It shouldn't be that hard for them to release the albums now days digitally with separate mixes. That would allow the regular joe schmoe to weed them out and have as much fun with it as he wishes.

Anyone can pretty much have a mixing console, am I right? Right on their home computer? Isn't there more sophisticated software now that basically kills those big ole mixing boards? I know that Audacity allows you to mix tracks and such, but I don't think it's proably that sophisticated.

My god what a treat that would be for me. I would just kill to hear Alex's isolated guitar on Hemispheres.

What's it going to take to get them to release all that? Do you think it's as simple as I imagined? Are we going to have to start a petition?

I'm a big fan of this idea. I watched the same 2112/MP thing and loved the part when Terry was able to separate the tracks.

I've seen Alan Parsons do the same thing with Dark Side of the Moon, and Butch Vig do it with Nirvana's Nevermind....You really get to hear what is actually involved in the recording of a record and what creates that sound.

Would love to see this happen.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

It would be amazing to have individual tracks for all your favorite records, but then people would be putting out "their mix" instead of the mix the band intended you to hear, the final mix. This would get messy and doesn't really work in the music world. Not saying it wouldn't be fun to mess around with all the tracks, but I don't think any musician on the planet wants hundreds of lame mixes of their songs out there. This is why the final mix is just 2 tracks, L R.

Give me VT and CA to remix.

smile.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 16 2012, 06:46 AM)
It would be amazing to have individual tracks for all your favorite records, but then people would be putting out "their mix" instead of the mix the band intended you to hear, the final mix. This would get messy and doesn't really work in the music world. Not saying it wouldn't be fun to mess around with all the tracks, but I don't think any musician on the planet wants hundreds of lame mixes of their songs out there. This is why the final mix is just 2 tracks, L R.

This. It'd be like a studio handing over all the shots for a film along with all the FX and sound etc... That wouldn't be a bad idea for the Star Wars prequels actually. But I digress. Agreed it would be awesome to have though.

Edited by hunter

I have a bunch of pirated multitrack sets from various artists that I found through an audio pro website. Very interesting indeed. No Rush though, other than the stems for the Rock Band game songs.

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jul 15 2012, 12:28 PM)
I know we've talked a little about this before, but-

I just got through watching the documentary on 2112 and Moving Pictures. I was really intrigued watching Terry Brown push some buttons on the mix and hearing him play the isolated tracks.

It got me thinking - It shouldn't be that hard for them to release the albums now days digitally with separate mixes. That would allow the regular joe schmoe to weed them out and have as much fun with it as he wishes.

Anyone can pretty much have a mixing console, am I right? Right on their home computer? Isn't there more sophisticated software now that basically kills those big ole mixing boards? I know that Audacity allows you to mix tracks and such, but I don't think it's proably that sophisticated.

My god what a treat that would be for me. I would just kill to hear Alex's isolated guitar on Hemispheres.

What's it going to take to get them to release all that? Do you think it's as simple as I imagined? Are we going to have to start a petition?

What documentary was this? Is it available on DVD?

Classic Album series 2112 & Moving Pictures. Yes on DVD. SO are a bunch of other great albums. They are listening to the original multitrack transfers/tapes on these shows.

On a related note, there are live audio bootlegs floating around out there of Alex's clean guitar signal, and Geddy's clean bass. Both from the Roll the Bones tour. (I remember having some good fun running Lerxst's guitar through my amp and different effects.) It's much easier to pick out different notes, especially in chords, when you have a completely clean sound.