Rush Headlong Flight VS Astra Barefoot in the Head

rushgoober

If you haven't heard both, please listen to the links below and then vote. Which is better?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If you haven't heard both, please listen to the links below and then vote. Which is better?

• Rush - Headlong Flight
    • Astra - Barefoot in the Head

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 25 2012, 01:29 PM)
I'd have to hear both in proper context, ie on my stereo. So far I've only heard Headlong Flight on my laptop. It has admittedly good speakers, but they are NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, not even a dust mote compared to a mountain, in comparison to my stereo. Far cry for instance sounded way different once I got the album and stuck on my Technics...

Only once have I managed to hear the Astra album amplified on a good stereo (the rest has been on headphones - just the logistics for me of the last couple/few weeks), and it was startling. I mean, I love the album on headphones, but hearing amplified in good quality sound was a marvel - it definitely added a whole new dimension that I wasn't quite expecting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2012, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 25 2012, 01:29 PM)
I'd have to hear both in proper context, ie on my stereo. So far I've only heard Headlong Flight on my laptop. It has admittedly good speakers, but they are NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, not even a dust mote compared to a mountain, in comparison to my stereo. Far cry for instance sounded way different once I got the album and stuck on my Technics...

Only once have I managed to hear the Astra album amplified on a good stereo (the rest has been on headphones - just the logistics for me of the last couple/few weeks), and it was startling. I mean, I love the album on headphones, but hearing amplified in good quality sound was a marvel - it definitely added a whole new dimension that I wasn't quite expecting.

Aye...

trink38.gif

If you had asked to compare HF with a different Astra song...such as maybe...Quake Meat or The Black Chord, I'd have gone with Astra. HF is tip-top excellent RUSH, but a little drawn out and jigsaw-puzzled together. Whereas the Astra tunes are a bit longer, and are technically a bit more repetitive...they feel like they flow much better. I'm sure it's a context thing, too. Perhaps the feel of the songs in between BU2B and HF will make HF all that much better. I never really enjoyed hearing songs out of context anyway (shuffle is one of my worst enemies)

Edit: I meant to comment on BitH a bit more

It's a good song...but its the song I hear the most Pink Floyd in.

I like Floyd...I really do...

But the other songs were pure Astra. I like them more than Floyd wink.gif

Edited by Tarkus406

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 25 2012, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 25 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 25 2012, 01:00 PM)
Shameless Goob Marketing!

I'm sensing a new member title here....... laugh.gif

And deny him the chance to show off his LOVE for Vapor Trails? We would never!

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 25 2012, 06:27 PM)
If you had asked to compare HF with a different Astra song...such as maybe...Quake Meat or The Black Chord, I'd have gone with Astra. HF is tip-top excellent RUSH, but a little drawn out and jigsaw-puzzled together. Whereas the Astra tunes are a bit longer, and are technically a bit more repetitive...they feel like they flow much better. I'm sure it's a context thing, too. Perhaps the feel of the songs in between BU2B and HF will make HF all that much better. I never really enjoyed hearing songs out of context anyway (shuffle is one of my worst enemies)

Edit: I meant to comment on BitH a bit more

It's a good song...but its the song I hear the most Pink Floyd in.
I like Floyd...I really do...
But the other songs were pure Astra. I like them more than Floyd wink.gif

At first I thought The Black Chord was the best song on the album, then I changed it to Barefoot in the Head. The Black Chord at 15 minutes would have tried even more people's patience. Cocoon is also an amazing song, but it's all instrumental and even even further removed from a song like HF.

It's an interesting and controversial subject - that of using such recognizable elements of influences where you can hear it in the music - at what point does it become too much and not considered original enough? For me, if the influence shows, and it's an influence I love, I'm ok with it, as long as the song holds up to that standard. Personally, I'm crazy about how Floyd the song sounds. The closing track from The Weirding, Beyond to Slight the Maze also has a very strong Floyd influence. Similarly, there's a lot of King Crimson in Barefoot in the Head. For me it's still original, or original enough - if it sounds cool as f*ck, I really don't care that you can discern an influence. Are they good as Floyd and King Crimson? I would argue yes. Maybe not as stunningly original, but definitely as awesome to listen to. Better a song to sound very Floyd like then for it to sound very N-Sync like. The song kicks ass to me regardless.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2012, 09:54 PM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

Oh stop. You love your title because you appreciate the joke. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 25 2012, 07:42 PM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

LOVE is a strong word. It wouldn't be my first choice of a member title, but I don't make those decisions. wink.gif

It is pretty funny - I mean, it was funnier when I first got it, but it's all good. As long as you let me get away with shenanigans like this thread, I really can't complain too much, can I? tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2012, 10:47 PM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

LOVE is a strong word. It wouldn't be my first choice of a member title, but I don't make those decisions. wink.gif

It is pretty funny - I mean, it was funnier when I first got it, but it's all good. As long as you let me get away with shenanigans like this thread, I really can't complain too much, can I? tongue.gif

Well, maybe we'll be on the lookout for a new one down the road...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2012, 04:02 AM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

Superior Cynic tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 26 2012, 04:23 PM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

Eternal Pessimist tongue.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Apr 26 2012, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 26 2012, 04:23 PM)

eh.gif b_sigh.gif

Eternal Pessimist tongue.gif

the interesting thing is if you meet me in person or talk to me on the phone (many here have), you'd know that i'm really not a cynical or pessimistic person, but oh well. that's what i get for seeming to always have opinions that go against the grain. wink.gif