I scored big time!

D3strukt

So I recieved Sector 3 , AFTK, PeW, MP, GUP, and PW for 75 bucks at my local record store.

Also bought a Stanton turn table.

But the Vinyl are pretty worn, the highs are slightly distorted. Otherwise it sounds great!

And Sector 3, OH MY GOD. Amaaazing sound quality. Especially on Signals.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 24 2011, 05:58 PM)
You're kidding, right? These Sector boxsets are sonic abortions. To each their own I guess. You can find MUCH better sounding masterings for much less money.

Well, I find them much better than the 97 releases. But not as good as the vinyl.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 24 2011, 05:46 PM)
So I recieved Sector 3 , AFTK, PeW, MP, GUP, and PW for 75 bucks at my local record store.

But the Vinyl are pretty worn, the highs are slightly distorted. Otherwise it sounds great!

congrats on the table...I am so in love with vinyl again

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Dec 25 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 24 2011, 05:46 PM)

congrats on the table...I am so in love with vinyl again

Online I scored a SS Hemispheres with Poster,

The Divison Bell by Pink Floyd.

Tyr, by Black Sabbath

Live at Hammersmith Odeon by Black Sabbath

Up the Downstair 180 gram by Porcupine Tree

Wish you were Here: Floyd

Star Wars Original Soundtrack

and In the Court of the Crimson King.

ive gotten so much lately, but the Fripp Exposure stands out, as well as the CCR double LP

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 24 2011, 04:58 PM)
You're kidding, right? These Sector boxsets are sonic abortions. To each their own I guess. You can find MUCH better sounding masterings for much less money.

I'm calling BS on the "for much less money" part. The so-called superior recordings, good luck finding them, and if you hit eBay, be prepared to spend more for one release than you'll spend on an entire Sector set (or two... or three).

I happen to like the Sector sets. They sound great to me.

Sonic abortions... whatever.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 25 2011, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 24 2011, 04:58 PM)
You're kidding, right?  These Sector boxsets are sonic abortions. To each their own I guess.  You can find MUCH better sounding masterings for much less money.

I'm calling BS on the "for much less money" part. The so-called superior recordings, good luck finding them, and if you hit eBay, be prepared to spend more for one release than you'll spend on an entire Sector set (or two... or three).

I happen to like the Sector sets. They sound great to me.

Sonic abortions... whatever.

Oh yeah? I bought the 25.8P Hemispheres, the 32.8P Power Windows and the original Canadian Anthem Moving Pictures (ANC 11030) on either ebay or the Steve Hoffman forum for no more than $15 to $20 and they blow the Sector and 97 remasters out of the friggin water. If you like the Sector CD's great. All that matters is what sounds best to you on your system but the data doesnt lie. The original Canadian and Japanese releases of Rush's catalog have more warmth and dynamic range than any subsequent releases. CD's have just gotten louder and louder since then, which some equate as being better quality. This is simply not true.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 25 2011, 07:56 PM)
Agree with you 1000% about the cost of some MFSL CD's. No way would I pay $600 for ANY CD. However, even though the Sector CD's may come out to $9 a disc, you still cant buy them individually. The only way to get them right now is to shell out $50 for the whole boxset. So...ny statement that better sounding CD's can be had for less money is true right now.

The Steve Hoffman forum is where I've bought most of my 1st pressing or MFSL Rush CD's and they are usually in better condition and cheaper than any CD's that are being sold on ebay. I'm not sure why you dont like the original CD releases though. Is it becuase they are not as loud as later releases? Thats what the volume dial is for and you can crank most of the original pressings and still have crystal clear music. I would not try that with the 97 remasters unless you want to end up buying new tweeters for your speakers. I dont think the Sector remasters are as loud as the 97's but I think that has more to do with better mastering technology than was available in 1997 and not because of better mastering technique. I found the Moving Pictures 30th Anniversary DVD-Audio release to be pretty much a let down because it was clear that all they did was boost the mids and the overall volume and called it remastered....a missed opportunity IMO. I wish they would let Steven Wilson remaster their catalog. If you havent heard what he did with the King Crimson catalog, you should give it a listen. THAT is what a properly mastered album should sound like. I fear Rush's music is in poor hands.

No... it's not because they're louder - although with everything being produced louder now, it would be a little annoying to adjust the volume with every disc. But that would be a trifle.

I think the main reason I like Sectors more than the original CDs is because of the separation of sounds and the sonic adjustments that were made for this release. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire both have a better bottom end, the guitars were brought up in the mix on Signals, and ESL sounds practically like a whole new show, to a degree. All the discs* had some pretty significant work done. If all they did was raise the volume they wouldn't be worth a damn, but I like the subtle changes they made in the mix for this batch (*with a few exceptions, like P/G, which is the same as the 97 remaster because they couldn't salvage the source recordings).

I would have loved to see what Wilson could do, but it wasn't to be... maybe they'll get him for a batch of remasters from Presto on up. We can hope.

I see your point about having to buy all the discs in the set for $50, but there aren't any superior CD releases of the debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and most of the 80's stuff. Plus, this is the first time any of them have been in 5.1, so there's that... if 5.1 interests you. If not, then it's not a selling point.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 25 2011, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 25 2011, 07:56 PM)
Agree with you 1000% about the cost of some MFSL CD's.  No way would I pay $600 for ANY CD.  However, even though the Sector CD's may come out to $9 a disc, you still cant buy them individually.  The only way to get them right now is to shell out $50 for the whole boxset.  So...ny statement that better sounding CD's can be had for less money is true right now. 

The Steve Hoffman forum is where I've bought most of my 1st pressing or MFSL Rush CD's and they are usually in better condition and cheaper than any CD's that are being sold on ebay.  I'm not sure why you dont like the original CD releases though.  Is it becuase they are not as loud as later releases?  Thats what the volume dial is for and you can crank most of the original pressings and still have crystal clear music.  I would not try that with the 97 remasters unless you want to end up buying new tweeters for your speakers.  I dont think the Sector remasters are as loud as the 97's but I think that has more to do with better mastering technology than was available in 1997 and not because of better mastering technique.  I found the Moving Pictures 30th Anniversary DVD-Audio release to be pretty much a let down because it was clear that all they did was boost the mids and the overall volume and called it remastered....a missed opportunity IMO.  I wish they would let Steven Wilson remaster their catalog.  If you havent heard what he did with the King Crimson catalog, you should give it a listen.  THAT is what a properly mastered album should sound like.  I fear Rush's music is in poor hands.

No... it's not because they're louder - although with everything being produced louder now, it would be a little annoying to adjust the volume with every disc. But that would be a trifle.

I think the main reason I like Sectors more than the original CDs is because of the separation of sounds and the sonic adjustments that were made for this release. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire both have a better bottom end, the guitars were brought up in the mix on Signals, and ESL sounds practically like a whole new show, to a degree. All the discs* had some pretty significant work done. If all they did was raise the volume they wouldn't be worth a damn, but I like the subtle changes they made in the mix for this batch (*with a few exceptions, like P/G, which is the same as the 97 remaster because they couldn't salvage the source recordings).

I would have loved to see what Wilson could do, but it wasn't to be... maybe they'll get him for a batch of remasters from Presto on up. We can hope.

I see your point about having to buy all the discs in the set for $50, but there aren't any superior CD releases of the debut, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and most of the 80's stuff. Plus, this is the first time any of them have been in 5.1, so there's that... if 5.1 interests you. If not, then it's not a selling point.

All excellent points by you for sure! Yes, for me the biggest draw would be to get the albums in 5.1 IF they were done correctly. I can only hope that the full Rush discography will be released in surround sound in DVD-A or SACD format. That would pretty much be the only thing that could get me to buy their albums again, as I have multiple versions of almost all of their work, especially the Mercury albums. For me, the Japanese and MFSL releases have yet to be bettered. I do hope that surround sound for everything is coming soon. I'm glad you like the Sectors though. Anything that keeps interest in the band going I'm all for; I just dont find the audio quality of these latest releases to be better than what I already have.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 24 2011, 03:46 PM)

Glad to hear it! I just ordered Sector 3 with my Xmas $$ and for $51.52 including shipping. It will be here by Thursday biggrin.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by HowItIs