A Habitable Planet

Mr. Not

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 8 2011, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 8 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 8 2011, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Dec 8 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 8 2011, 11:47 AM)
What I think is amazing is that it was only in 1995 that they had solid evidence of the first extrasolar planet. Now the Kepler telescope has found evidence of 2,326 of them. We are only scratching the surface of what we know of our universe.

600 light years is relatively close.

When you take a statistical look at it, there's bound to be untold numbers of earth-like planets given the size of the universe and number of galaxies...whatever that number may be.

But we will need a wormhole or sumpin' if we're going to go all "Dune" on the universe and spread from planet to planet.

What we need is a Battlestar.

Gallactica?

Any of 'em. They'll hold a lot of people and come with Vipers to defend us biggrin.gif

Having seen the 1978 version, I totally get your drift..! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 8 2011, 08:04 PM)
What I think is amazing is that it was only in 1995 that they had solid evidence of the first extrasolar planet. Now the Kepler telescope has found evidence of 2,326 of them. We are only scratching the surface of what we know of our universe.

When you take a statistical look at it, there's bound to be untold numbers of earth-like planets given the size of the universe and number of galaxies...whatever that number may be.

But we will need a wormhole or sumpin' if we're going to go all "Dune" on the universe and spread from planet to planet.

Gallactica?

Any of 'em. They'll hold a lot of people and come with Vipers to defend us biggrin.gif

Quickest edit I've ever seen - before I even posted! tongue.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 8 2011, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 8 2011, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Dec 8 2011, 12:51 PM)

Nah...Stargates!

All we need is the Millennium Falcon.

It made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. (Since a parsec is a unit of distance on this planet that uses the distance of our earth to the sun, a parsec doesn't mean the same thing on the planet Hoth. wink.gif ) If it could do a 12 parsec Kessel run I bet the Millennium Falcon could do at least 600 light years an hour.

laugh.gif

<geek mode on>

I know this one! Parsec is a unit of distance, that's true. But the reason the Falcon was able to "do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" is because the Kessel Run skirts the edge of The Maw, which is a cluster of black holes. Black holes distort space, so by getting as close as possible to the Maw, the Falcon was able to ride that distortion - and complete the run in less than 12 parsecs biggrin.gif

<geek mode off>

Of course, Lucas didn't come up with that, a real science fiction writer did, for a Star Wars novel published decades after the movie came out. Lucas just didn't know what a parsec was when he wrote the script wink.gif

But the Falcon doesn't hold that many people, so we'd need a bigger ship anyway tongue.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 8 2011, 02:08 PM)

Gallactica?

I know, right? lol

I typed out my original response then immediately realized that it's totally spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the show yet but might be working through it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 8 2011, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 8 2011, 02:08 PM)

Gallactica?

I know, right? lol

I typed out my original response then immediately realized that it's totally spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the show yet but might be working through it biggrin.gif

No worries! smile.gif