Sector 3

PassTheAmmunition

So yeah, I dont post often. But driving home tonight listening to Signals remaster from the Sector 3 box set, I felt compelled to come right to the computer and opine.

Now I was Christmas shopping online, and not overtly looking to buy myself something, but that darn Amazon.com has a way of suggesting things that it knows I like, right? So yeah in a moment of weakness I bought Sector 3. Yes, yes, I want Sectors 1&2 of course (Christmas hints, people!) but Sector 3 was beckoning to me mostly because I have long thought that Signals would be just so much more awesome if it (the original release) didnt sound like it had been recorded through cheesecloth. As much as I love Signals, I felt I would love the remastered release all the more.

Boy, was I right. Now I read only bits and pieces of reviews online about the Sector sets, and in particular, Signals on Sector 3. A few people's opinions were that not only was the audio remastered, but there were "alternate" versions used for the vocal tracks as well. To this point I state no actual knowledge of truthfulness, but in listening to it tonight as well as last night on a "good system" (my imac and Sennheiser HD850's) Ive come to the glorious conclusion that Signals sounds unfuckingbelievablydelicious. Listening to The Analog Kid (digitally, ironically) I was just lost in sonic heaven. Gone is the cheesecloth, the muddiness and the lack of crispness Ive always wanted to hear in those songs and there are just some wonderfully mixed, crisp and rich takes on some of my favorite music, from a very memorable time in my life.

I couldnt help but sit there, holding the "mini vinyl cd sleeve", flipping through the reanimated liner notes and listening to the songs over and over while thinking about that moment I first opened the Signals package and heard the first few notes of Subdivisions, quite literally "lit up with anticipation"..... and its funny how I recalled exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing. Funny how that happens, and so very cool when it does.

After checking out PW and GUP, I can say with certainty that this was my most worthwhile Rush-related purchase (probably since I picked up the remastered Hemispheres CD) and that even for someone without a professionally-trained ear and the most expensive equipment in the world, it just sounds so obviously different to me. I truly wasnt expecting it to sound radically different. I guess in a world of iTunes downloads and EPs, Ive actually gotten away from listening to music this way. Ive gone and ripped my CD collection to iTunes and to my various portable devices, where I listen to them perhaps rather indifferently in a way.

Take some time to hear theses songs in the Sector collection, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

This is the set I want first, too. So PoW and GUP sound great, too, even though they are in the 16/44 format?

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 2 2011, 07:03 PM)
So yeah, I dont post often.  But driving home tonight listening to Signals remaster from the Sector 3 box set, I felt compelled to come right to the computer and opine.

Now I was Christmas shopping online, and not overtly looking to buy myself something, but that darn Amazon.com has a way of suggesting things that it knows I like, right?  So yeah in a moment of weakness I bought Sector 3.  Yes, yes, I want Sectors 1&2 of course (Christmas hints, people!) but Sector 3 was beckoning to me mostly because I have long thought that Signals would be just so much more awesome if it (the original release) didnt sound like it had been recorded through cheesecloth.  As much as I love Signals, I felt I would love the remastered release all the more.

Boy, was I right.  Now I read only bits and pieces of reviews online about the Sector sets, and in particular, Signals on Sector 3.  A few people's opinions were that not only was the audio remastered, but there were "alternate" versions used for the vocal tracks as well.  To this point I state no actual knowledge of truthfulness, but in listening to it tonight as well as last night on a "good system" (my imac and Sennheiser HD850's) Ive come to the glorious conclusion that Signals sounds unfuckingbelievablydelicious.  Listening to The Analog Kid (digitally, ironically) I was just lost in sonic heaven.  Gone is the cheesecloth, the muddiness and the lack of crispness Ive always wanted to hear in those songs and there are just some wonderfully mixed, crisp and rich takes on some of my favorite music, from a very memorable time in my life.

I couldnt help but sit there, holding the "mini vinyl cd sleeve", flipping through the reanimated liner notes and listening to the songs over and over while thinking about that moment I first opened the Signals package and heard the first few notes of Subdivisions, quite literally "lit up with anticipation".....  and its funny how I recalled exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing.  Funny how that happens, and so very cool when it does.

After checking out PW and GUP, I can say with certainty that this was my most worthwhile Rush-related purchase (probably since I picked up the remastered Hemispheres CD) and that even for someone without a professionally-trained ear and the most expensive equipment in the world, it just sounds so obviously different to me.  I truly wasnt expecting it to sound radically different.  I guess in a world of iTunes downloads and EPs, Ive actually gotten away from listening to music this way.  Ive gone and ripped my CD collection to iTunes and to my various portable devices, where I listen to them perhaps rather indifferently in a way.

Take some time to hear theses songs in the Sector collection, I would love to hear your thoughts.

The 5.1 and Hi Res remaster DVD/CD is a f***ing revalation brutha.

How insane does Alex's guitars sound on Analog, Chemistry and Digital Man.

Unreal clarity.

It is like hearing a new album. Signals the way it was meant to sound.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the classic MFSL gold remaster. Nothing is warmer than that version.

But now you truly have some sonic choices with what is one of their very best albums.

For those on the fence. If you get one sector......get Sector 3 for Signals alone.

But you won't. You will get all 3 Sectors. The packaging is beautiful.

They really did a wonderful job on this the first true boxed set for the greatest band in the world.....ever.

Dudes.....it's *UCKING RUSH!

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Dec 2 2011, 07:03 PM)
So yeah, I dont post often. But driving home tonight listening to Signals remaster from the Sector 3 box set, I felt compelled to come right to the computer and opine.

Now I was Christmas shopping online, and not overtly looking to buy myself something, but that darn Amazon.com has a way of suggesting things that it knows I like, right? So yeah in a moment of weakness I bought Sector 3. Yes, yes, I want Sectors 1&2 of course (Christmas hints, people!) but Sector 3 was beckoning to me mostly because I have long thought that Signals would be just so much more awesome if it (the original release) didnt sound like it had been recorded through cheesecloth. As much as I love Signals, I felt I would love the remastered release all the more.

Boy, was I right. Now I read only bits and pieces of reviews online about the Sector sets, and in particular, Signals on Sector 3. A few people's opinions were that not only was the audio remastered, but there were "alternate" versions used for the vocal tracks as well. To this point I state no actual knowledge of truthfulness, but in listening to it tonight as well as last night on a "good system" (my imac and Sennheiser HD850's) Ive come to the glorious conclusion that Signals sounds unfuckingbelievablydelicious. Listening to The Analog Kid (digitally, ironically) I was just lost in sonic heaven. Gone is the cheesecloth, the muddiness and the lack of crispness Ive always wanted to hear in those songs and there are just some wonderfully mixed, crisp and rich takes on some of my favorite music, from a very memorable time in my life.

I couldnt help but sit there, holding the "mini vinyl cd sleeve", flipping through the reanimated liner notes and listening to the songs over and over while thinking about that moment I first opened the Signals package and heard the first few notes of Subdivisions, quite literally "lit up with anticipation"..... and its funny how I recalled exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing. Funny how that happens, and so very cool when it does.

After checking out PW and GUP, I can say with certainty that this was my most worthwhile Rush-related purchase (probably since I picked up the remastered Hemispheres CD) and that even for someone without a professionally-trained ear and the most expensive equipment in the world, it just sounds so obviously different to me. I truly wasnt expecting it to sound radically different. I guess in a world of iTunes downloads and EPs, Ive actually gotten away from listening to music this way. Ive gone and ripped my CD collection to iTunes and to my various portable devices, where I listen to them perhaps rather indifferently in a way.

great, now i have to shell out $$ for this box set or beg santa!

thanks a lot dude!! angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

tongue.gif