Rik Emmett Covers Red Barchetta

Jag2112

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just have to remember it's only people's opinions. One man's growl is another man's gold. Haha. I don't personaly mind the growl but it's those high notes that are rare... not every singer can do that and I tried a variety of singers (including some from famous bands that I won't name out of respect to them) that weren't really able to nail it. Singing Geddy's melodies takes a certain sound and style to pull off... and I think Rik did a fine job. If anyone had any doubts they could wait to hear the final actual mix. These are what's called a rough mix/work in progress which we share since we're a sound company and do those kinds of things for the people that are intrigued with the process and evolution of a track (or the breakdown of the elements like the drums isolated which are Neil Peart's drumming in this case).

Anyway to each his/her own of course. I for one love it and I'm honored to have worked with both Neil and Rik. A dream come true for me since I listened to both Triumph and Rush as a kid.

Edited by Squids

Very cool.

But - what is it with aging singers wanting to extend notes? I have noticed this with several singers, even Geddy. Listen to recent Kansas live recordings and you will hear Steve Walsh do the same thing. They will hold a note longer than originally sung and it doesn't sound right.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Nov 30 2011, 09:12 AM)
Very cool.

But - what is it with aging singers wanting to extend notes? I have noticed this with several singers, even Geddy. Listen to recent Kansas live recordings and you will hear Steve Walsh do the same thing. They will hold a note longer than originally sung and it doesn't sound right.

I'm just guessing here since I don't know exactly why he's doing it, but being a 35 year old singer myself who is just starting to lose the abilities I had when I was younger, as you get older you start losing is your vibrato, and alternatively, the ability to hold smooth notes, 2 things Geddy used to be great at and struggles with now, as do many aging singers.

So sometimes you just try to hold a note a little longer to either smoothen it out, or get a good vibrato going, but you're right, it always sounds forced. Rik does it a lot in this song. It doesn't sound right. Geddy does it all the time now live.

QUOTE (hunter @ Dec 1 2011, 02:54 PM)
So did Neil actually re-record the track or were his samples used to produce it?

When we did the sampling session with Neil Peart and Nick Raskulinecz we recorded both the detailed sound of his DW Snakes and Arrows drum kit so that someone could play it in their computer from an electronic drum kit or from a midi keyboard (I like to play it from a keyboard since I'm a keyboardist... and I'll be showing how that works when I do "Losing It", one of my favorite songs). So that's like a virtual drum kit (but it's Neil's kit which is individual hits recorded by Rush's producer). That's already been released here: http://www.sonicreality.com/products/neil-peart-drums/

What hasn't been released yet at the Volume 2 Grooves which are essentially Neil Peart's new drum performances of classic Rush tunes (as well as a bunch of the newer ones they've been doing on tour). It's not taken off the album, it's a fresh new performance but it's by him and also recorded by Nick. Album quality drums by Neil Peart that we're using in these productions but the cool thing is that when that product is released so will other musicians too... the closest thing to having Neil Peart in your band which opens the whole fantasy rock idea to everyone else (not just us having all the fun). Might be more to it than that as well but all will be revealed over the next month or so.

Here's video footage from the sample session with Nick, myself and Neil at The Drum Channel which is where we recorded (and filmed) it!

Each song on this album has a different singer and guitarist. This one has John Wesley from Porcupine Tree on guitar and a young fella named Randy McStine from a new prog band called Lo Fi Resistance (who has Gavin from PT on drums on his album) doing the vocals. http://soundcloud.com/sonicelements/limeli...gtr-solo-teaser

There's a bunch of audio clips all over that soundcloud page if you want to hear various snippets of Rush tunes or old Genesis and other stuff we're working on. http://www.soundcloud.com/sonicelements

But because we make Neil Peart Drums it's more than just about our fun music project. It's about reaching musicians and this new kind of virtual collab with your heros. Getting pretty darn cool if you think about it. Imagine Neil Peart playing drums on your Rush cover or your original tune! Here's an example of using drum patterns from Tom Sawyer played by Neil in an original track co-written with Billy Sherwood (ex-Yes). Just a clip from it: http://soundcloud.com/sonicelements/times-gone-teaser Drum patterns taken out of context of a song do something completely different in their new context... I find that interesting, fun and different personally.

QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 7 2011, 12:00 AM)
Each song on this album has a different singer and guitarist. This one has John Wesley from Porcupine Tree on guitar and a young fella named Randy McStine from a new prog band called Lo Fi Resistance (who has Gavin from PT on drums on his album) doing the vocals. http://soundcloud.com/sonicelements/limeli...gtr-solo-teaser

There's a bunch of audio clips all over that soundcloud page if you want to hear various snippets of Rush tunes or old Genesis and other stuff we're working on. http://www.soundcloud.com/sonicelements

But because we make Neil Peart Drums it's more than just about our fun music project. It's about reaching musicians and this new kind of virtual collab with your heros. Getting pretty darn cool if you think about it. Imagine Neil Peart playing drums on your Rush cover or your original tune! Here's an example of using drum patterns from Tom Sawyer played by Neil in an original track co-written with Billy Sherwood (ex-Yes). Just a clip from it: http://soundcloud.com/sonicelements/times-gone-teaser Drum patterns taken out of context of a song do something completely different in their new context... I find that interesting, fun and different personally.

If anyone can pull it off, it's Wesley. That solo sounded AMAZING.

QUOTE (hunter @ Dec 9 2011, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 8 2011, 08:42 PM)
Trying to figure out which Rush song for Geoff Tate from Queensryche to sing on.

1022.gif

COOL. Natural Science?

I edited out my bla bla bla part because I don't want to bore anyone. But I should have left in the part about which song choices I have based on the tracks recorded with Neil. Basically anything from the S&A tour. Natural Science wasn't one of those tracks.

The ones I have music recorded but no vocals yet are Subdivisions, Between The Wheels and Spirit of the Radio. But there are other ones we could do like Victory or... I don't know. It'd be cool to get him on there.

QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 9 2011, 01:18 PM)
Trying to figure out which Rush song for Geoff Tate from Queensryche to sing on.

1022.gif

COOL. Natural Science?

I edited out my bla bla bla part because I don't want to bore anyone. But I should have left in the part about which song choices I have based on the tracks recorded with Neil. Basically anything from the S&A tour. Natural Science wasn't one of those tracks.

The ones I have music recorded but no vocals yet are Subdivisions, Between The Wheels and Spirit of the Radio. But there are other ones we could do like Victory or... I don't know. It'd be cool to get him on there.

Will you do anything off Vapor Trails? It would be nice to hear something off that release that wasn't so layered and produced better.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 9 2011, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 9 2011, 01:18 PM)

1022.gif

COOL. Natural Science?

Will you do anything off Vapor Trails? It would be nice to hear something off that release that wasn't so layered and produced better.

I pitched the song "One Little Victory" to Geoff Tate of Queensryche so we'll see what he says. I think it'd be cool. The production will be different. For one thing the drum track was recorded by Rush's current producer Nick Raskulinecz who really gets GREAT drum sounds. If he wants to do it then we might get John Wesley again on guitar or maybe another member of QR which I also pitched. I wasn't planning on doing this song for this project but we do have the drum track and... might as well if it's going to be done like that. High energy track.

We're almost done with "Between The Wheels"... always loved that one. This is a fun project. There's more to it than what's been revealed so far as well. Some pretty exciting stuff, especially if you're a musician but even if you just love the songs and want to hear a different take with part of Rush (the drummer/lyricist) and part other elements musically and personnel-wise.

Ooops... I bla bla bla'd again. Well, maybe I'll edit it out later. For now if this interests you then great! You can always just follow the project on Facebook for the daily skinny: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements

Or just listen to audio clips: http://www.soundcloud.com/sonicelements

Edited by Squids

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 29 2011, 08:12 PM)
Lol that guy sounds like shit. What the hell are you people hearing? Sounds like some really old, washed up dated rock singer. Really corny when he growls. How embarrassing.

I have a nagging suspicion you are a really crummy singer yourself.

Put your money where you very opinionated mouth is and post a link so we can judge your singing as harshly as you judge everyone elses.

QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 9 2011, 08:59 PM)
Lol that guy sounds like shit. What the hell are you people hearing? Sounds like some really old, washed up dated rock singer. Really corny when he growls. How embarrassing.

Put your money where you very opinionated mouth is and post a link so we can judge your singing as harshly as you judge everyone elses.

Stop going around bashing everyone. You're butting heads with opinions.

I don't like what he said or the way he said it either but everyone's entitled to their opinion... without having to back it up with their own musical abilities! Haha. But, it's interesting you bring that up because we might do a contest early next year where you could do it better... if you dare try it. Then you can put your money where your mouth is or fingers are (on guitar or bass). Not that you'd need to do it for that reason of course but if you did step up to the plate and join the competition you'd maybe win a few cool prizes. I do have a few fun Rush things here to give away like one of Neil's drum heads signed by the whole band and a bunch of his live played drum sticks beautifully battered. So that and for the pride of it... plus a few other cool things about it. I'll let you guys know about that but it's not for anyone to have to prove anything. Just something to get involved with Neil Peart Drums... otherwise we're having all the fun. But we made this for any musician to use. More on that a little later when the next Peart volume is ready to be released. Not too long from now. Edited by Squids

QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 9 2011, 09:54 PM)
I don't like what he said or the way he said it either but everyone's entitled to their opinion... without having to back it up with their own musical abilities! Haha. But, it's interesting you bring that up because we might do a contest early next year where you could do it better... if you dare try it. Then you can put your money where your mouth is or fingers are (on guitar or bass). Not that you'd need to do it for that reason of course but if you did step up to the plate and join the competition you'd maybe win a few cool prizes. I do have a few fun Rush things here to give away like one of Neil's drum heads signed by the whole band and a bunch of his live played drum sticks beautifully battered. So that and for the pride of it... plus a few other cool things about it. I'll let you guys know about that but it's not for anyone to have to prove anything. Just something to get involved with Neil Peart Drums... otherwise we're having all the fun. But we made this for any musician to use. More on that a little later when the next Peart volume is ready to be released. Not too long from now.

Sweet. Sounds like a fun contest. A group of us here on the forums have been putting together covers for a few years now for fun. (The link is in my sig if you're interested) It's no small task and one of the hardest things to find is that rare breed of drummer who not only has the chops but knows how to record the set too. Fortunately there's some of those folks here on the forum. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 10 2011, 12:40 AM)

Yes, eshine was overly harsh there. He's never heard trenken sing so he shouldn't assume he can't sing well.

But, he was responding to vintage trenken there -- overly opinionated and overly negative. There's a fine line between presenting a constructively critical opinion and outright bashing, and as we all know, trenken often crosses that line.

Just sayin'.

Squids, thank you for your contributions here. trink39.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Dec 10 2011, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Squids @ Dec 9 2011, 09:54 PM)
I don't like what he said or the way he said it either but everyone's entitled to their opinion... without having to back it up with their own musical abilities! Haha. But, it's interesting you bring that up because we might do a contest early next year where you could do it better... if you dare try it. Then you can put your money where your mouth is or fingers are (on guitar or bass). Not that you'd need to do it for that reason of course but if you did step up to the plate and join the competition you'd maybe win a few cool prizes. I do have a few fun Rush things here to give away like one of Neil's drum heads signed by the whole band and a bunch of his live played drum sticks beautifully battered. So that and for the pride of it... plus a few other cool things about it. I'll let you guys know about that but it's not for anyone to have to prove anything. Just something to get involved with Neil Peart Drums... otherwise we're having all the fun. But we made this for any musician to use. More on that a little later when the next Peart volume is ready to be released. Not too long from now.

Sweet. Sounds like a fun contest. A group of us here on the forums have been putting together covers for a few years now for fun. (The link is in my sig if you're interested) It's no small task and one of the hardest things to find is that rare breed of drummer who not only has the chops but knows how to record the set too. Fortunately there's some of those folks here on the forum. biggrin.gif

Thanks Hunter. That's great! I am sure you guys will have a field day with this. We'll try to do it so the drummers can participate too. One cool aspect of the contest will be that an A&R man from Rush's label Anthem will be one of the judges. The band will probably check out the winners (no guarantee of that but there's a good chance they would). But most importantly it'll just be fun and a great challenge. I'll try to give you all a head's up but we're shooting for January for the contest.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 10 2011, 12:40 AM)

Im not going around bashing everyone.

Trenken rips Geddy to absolute shreds - calling his singing garabage, ect - and does so with the arrogance of someone who claims to have an authorative opinion because he himself is a "singer".

So my challenge is - back it up.

Granted, I shouldn't assume he is a bad singer - but it's been my experience that "musicians" who spend so much time ripping other peoples abilities are generally lacking themselves. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Other then that - I have every right to defend Geddy with the same vigor that you guys have when you shred him. It's not personal - I dont know you.