Alex's Modern Sound (Live)

FountainOfSyrinx

Hi guys, i'm back :3

I'm using the software provided by Fender, and i'm using a Mustang amplifier. They have the FUSE software, which can do ALOT. My question is, can anyone help me create a pretty good copy of Alex's Modern Sounds using the software? It seems like there is alot that can be utilized.. so if anyone can help, that'd be perfect smile.gif thanks guys..

Actually, its any really universal solid amp sound that i could use for Rush covers.. i just want to to sound good smile.gif

Fender Mustang I

Epip LP Pro/FX

The gear i'm working with. Thanks!!

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

Well this is now a case of what we in the game industry call "RTFM" so here's a link:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_a...ced_English.pdf

smile.gif

I checked out the FUSE site and there is a community there that will be way more help. There are also loads of downloadable presets (which may or may not be worth the click) but that would be a good place to check out.

Also it seems there is enough info in the manual to do it yourself. Not to rain on anyone's parade but the best way to learn your gear is to dig in and mess around. I will avoid a rant on the laziness produced by the digital revolution aside from this statement but if it's too easy you aren't going to learn anything. Suffice it to say there were no online resources when I was a teenager (nor audio software of any kind for that matter).

So if you look over the other thread where I listed the estimated signal chain you are already well on your way. Just looking at the amp models in the manual I see there are different Brit amps, though nothing as to what models they are emulating. However there are icons in the software indicating what they look like. The Brit 60's is clearly supposed to be a Vox. One can assume that the Brit 70's and 80's are based on Marshalls.

You can do it! Not to mention the satisfaction you will feel having figured it out yourself. Plus, it could lead you to some functionality you may have not known about or just propel you to create your own tones.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 15 2011, 09:30 PM)
Well this is now a case of what we in the game industry call "RTFM" so here's a link:
http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_a...ced_English.pdf
smile.gif

I checked out the FUSE site and there is a community there that will be way more help. There are also loads of downloadable presets (which may or may not be worth the click) but that would be a good place to check out.

Also it seems there is enough info in the manual to do it yourself. Not to rain on anyone's parade but the best way to learn your gear is to dig in and mess around. I will avoid a rant on the laziness produced by the digital revolution aside from this statement but if it's too easy you aren't going to learn anything. Suffice it to say there were no online resources when I was a teenager (nor audio software of any kind for that matter).

So if you look over the other thread where I listed the estimated signal chain you are already well on your way. Just looking at the amp models in the manual I see there are different Brit amps, though nothing as to what models they are emulating. However there are icons in the software indicating what they look like. The Brit 60's is clearly supposed to be a Vox. One can assume that the Brit 70's and 80's are based on Marshalls.

You can do it! Not to mention the satisfaction you will feel having figured it out yourself. Plus, it could lead you to some functionality you may have not known about or just propel you to create your own tones.

Well thanks for the encouragement. I've been working on different sounds for quite some time, and it seems like, i'm close, but a few things need to be tweaked, to make it work.. but i'm working on it. Thanks!

I've been working for quite some time. And i've found a tone I think I like, however, it sounds to crunchy and dirty when the 5th and 6th strings are played in a chord, such as a D. But I do not know enough about sounds, effects and amps to make these strings produce a somewhat cleaner sound while the first 4 or so strings produce a dirty sound..

Turn the distortion down. Or change the distortion type.

Please write out your signal chain and be as specific as possible. For instance the amp model/emulation, amp EQ settings, distortion type (amp overdrive, pedal type, etc.) then the other effects and their settings.

You should start with the basic amp tone with no effects before adding any. Play the chords you are hearing the unwanted distortion then back off the distortion until you get the basic sound then add the chorus.

If you listen carefully Alex's distortion is fairly moderate and not as heavy as one would think. It is more heavy these days, but that has more to do with his amps than anything. On earlier albums it is very subtle and comes from the pickups driving the amp and not from a pedal. The brightness comes from the chorus, not EQ or distortion.

Okay, well I have a very simple Fender Mustang I amp, however with Fender FUSE software, it's turned into a little amp that can produce many different sounds, and use a few different channels to combine sounds.

There are 8 different presets, however, each preset has 3 different types of sounds, so really there are 24 presets, with 8 different labels of sounds.

I'm using 80's British Preset and this is how i modified the sound on the amp only.

Gain - 6

Volume - 7

Treble - 8

Mid - 6

Bass - 7

Presence - 5

The program allows you to utilize four different pedals- Stompbox, Delay, Modulation (like flange and stuff?) and reverb. I'm using Stombbox and Delay

Stompbox (overdrive, fixed & touch wah, fuzz, fuzz touch wah, single comp, and compressor)

I'm using overdrive, with 50% level, 5% gain, 50% low, 60% mid, 30% high.

I'm using "Tape Delay preset" on the Delay pedal, channel, whatever you wanna call it. It has 50% level, a very low delay time, 50% feedback, 0% flutter, 57% stereo, 51% bright..

However i'm not very good on utilizing delay, it confuses me big time. But this is what i call my Work In Progress Rush setting, because i'll work it even more today smile.gif

But that's the current settings i'm using. If i'm way way way off, i understand because i've never worked with an amp.. i've always been acoustic until recently. But if what i said makes any sense, great! Thanks though smile.gif

Another pedal I have is

Yeah, that is pretty limited. I would start by bringing the treble and the bass down. Without being able to hear what each parameter does it is difficult to say too much which is why the FUSE site will be a better resource because everyone there should be using similar setups.

I would play with the distortion settings. It should be just a little dirty. You might be able to bump the high freq on that. Also the chorus accomplishes a couple of things; it widens the sound and makes it "shiny" and emphasizes the distortion. The tape delay is a nice idea but turn it off when adjusting the distortion. Also the Gain feeds the amp distortion. You may want to forgo the stompbox distortion and get the grit from the gain then add chorus.

Also you will need multiple presets for Spirit because of the limited modulation effect choices. I would suggest using the "Phaser Slow Deep" D1 or perhaps Flanger A3 (depending) for the intro sections then switch to the chorus (A1 probably) for the verses. Add delay and wah for the solo.

Now all of these effects are generic and extremely limited. There is very little the user can do with the limited parameters available. Not to mention Alex uses high end professional equipment dedicated to each process it performs. Unfortunately there is no real way to replicate that in the Mustang amp series.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 16 2011, 03:33 PM)
Yeah, that is pretty limited. I would start by bringing the treble and the bass down. Without being able to hear what each parameter does it is difficult to say too much which is why the FUSE site will be a better resource because everyone there should be using similar setups.

I would play with the distortion settings. It should be just a little dirty. You might be able to bump the high freq on that. Also the chorus accomplishes a couple of things; it widens the sound and makes it "shiny" and emphasizes the distortion. The tape delay is a nice idea but turn it off when adjusting the distortion. Also the Gain feeds the amp distortion. You may want to forgo the stompbox distortion and get the grit from the gain then add chorus.

Also you will need multiple presets for Spirit because of the limited modulation effect choices. I would suggest using the "Phaser Slow Deep" D1 or perhaps Flanger A3 (depending) for the intro sections then switch to the chorus (A1 probably) for the verses. Add delay and wah for the solo.

Now all of these effects are generic and extremely limited. There is very little the user can do with the limited parameters available. Not to mention Alex uses high end professional equipment dedicated to each process it performs. Unfortunately there is no real way to replicate that in the Mustang amp series.

i'm getting closer to a sound that i could cover with smile.gif with your help of course! I cut out the stompbox and used gain + chorus, and i like that sound. My higher two or 3 strings sound great now! smile.gif my lower three seem a little too think, but im working on that. thanks for the help dude!

Oh, you should mess with the Presence. Having it at 12 o'clock it won't do much. Try listening with settings on either side. It is sort of an EQ and generally speaking when EQ's on amps are in the middle, straight up they are at 0. The idea is that below the mid point the frequency is cut and above the middle the frequency is boosted. So "sweep" the presence, mid and low to fine tune the tone you are working on. The presence and mid range may need to be "notched" or dipped a little.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 17 2011, 03:44 AM)
Oh, you should mess with the Presence. Having it at 12 o'clock it won't do much. Try listening with settings on either side. It is sort of an EQ and generally speaking when EQ's on amps are in the middle, straight up they are at 0. The idea is that below the mid point the frequency is cut and above the middle the frequency is boosted. So "sweep" the presence, mid and low to fine tune the tone you are working on. The presence and mid range may need to be "notched" or dipped a little.

Okay, i'll do some more work on it today. I seem to be closer and closer though!!