The Tree of Life

garbo

I'm surprised no one's made a topic for this film yet.

So, I saw it opening day (for my city) because I've waited forevah to see this d*mn film.

I'm going to try and put my thoughts (spoilers) under this lovely tan color to try and cover them up:

SPOILERSI'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. I don't think it's that hard to "get," although I do think it's kind of pretentious (and in some dire need of editing at times). But overall it's probably the most beautiful film I've ever seen (cinematography and score wise).

I really did love all of themes about grief, grace/nature, theology, loss of innocence, and pain and the relationship between the three brothers. It was intense and beautiful. I just thought it needed some editing. I loved the evolution sequence (although that could have been cut up some) /END SPOILERY THOUGHTS

If anyone has already seen it, I'd love to get other people's thoughts.

Have you seen any of Malick's other movies? He's probably one of the most polarizing directors around. One of the most beautiful movies I've seen. It was very difficult to get into the movie at first but once I was hooked I was sad to see it end. I actually wanted more despite it's well-over 2 hour runtime. Pitt continues to show that he truly is a very good actor. The children, especially the oldest boy, was terrific. The nostalgia Malick helps draw from the viewer is subtle- the opposite of say Abrams'/Spielberg's Super 8. I loved the use of music. The creation scene was epic.

9/10

Edited by Rushian King

PS:

If you need at least one of the following in your movie experience: explosions, car chases, nudity, sex, swearing, violence, gore, wisecracking supporting characters, jokes, lots of special effects, a modern music soundtrack, little voiceover narration, cute movie kids, less than 2-hour runtime, an obvious plot, a story masticated for you before being served, etc. then this movie is NOT for you.

PSA brought to you by RK smile.gif

The Thin Red Line reminded me of a GAP commercial from the 80s set in Guadacanal.

During the movie, my wife said, "where the Marines really like these whiney bitches?"